Question Is this normal for an Edge Lit LED?

_ray_

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I bought a Panasonic GX-800 50" for £590 a week ago and even though the picture has been stunning, one thing that has been bothering me from day one is the white halo/bloom/bleed on both edges of screen (as seen in the pic) This is most noticeable when watching DV content on Netflix (TV app) but to a lesser extent on regular HDR (via htpc/madvr). It also gets worst when watching movies in a dark room. I have experimented with settings like turning Dynamic contrast/Local dimming on/off and reducing contrast/brightness but that only makes the picture darker and hard to watch.
I had never experienced it on my 8 year old LED Samsung 40" until now...
I also dont have the budget to get an OLED/FALD atm and i would like to know what my options are in this regard.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 286
The best option with a TV that isn't OLED or FALD is to not put HDR content through it when you can avoid it.

That is unfortunately pretty normal behaviour. As the TV doesn't have separate dimming zones, at times the backlight will be on it's brightest setting due to something on the screen requiring it but you illuminate the entire screen rather than just the small area that needs the brightness.

The best option with a TV that isn't OLED or FALD is to not put HDR content through it when you can avoid it.

That is unfortunately pretty normal behaviour. As the TV doesn't have separate dimming zones, at times the backlight will be on it's brightest setting due to something on the screen requiring it but you illuminate the entire screen rather than just the small area that needs the brightness.
Thanks for the reply. I have been reading about this for the past few days and seems like it can also depend of the source. I could just return this TV and save up for a FALD but from what I have read FALD has its own issues like blooming etc. What are your thoughts on this?

FALD does have some issues but a good FALD TV will be miles better for HDR content than the Panasonic.

If you want a decent, cheap FALD set then have a look at the Sony centre Refurbs. They can be purchased with an extended 5-Year warranty for not a lot extra. Call your local centre and they're more likely to bargain and they'll deliver it too.

You have to be quick as they sell fast.

The models you'd be interested in are the 49XG9005 or preferably the 55XG9505.

They have a 49XG9005 in stock - Sony KD-49XG9005 KD49XG9005BU.A

Don't bother with any other models, they don't have a FALD unless they're hugely more expensive or OLED.

Other than that you're looking at 2020 model TV's which are now at their highest price and £1000+ minimum. Buying one of them I'm sure will leave a sour taste in your mouth when you can pick up the same TV in 9 months time for under £650

FALD does have some issues but a good FALD TV will be miles better for HDR content than the Panasonic.

If you want a decent, cheap FALD set then have a look at the Sony centre Refurbs. They can be purchased with an extended 5-Year warranty for not a lot extra. Call your local centre and they're more likely to bargain and they'll deliver it too.

You have to be quick as they sell fast.

The models you'd be interested in are the 49XG9005 or preferably the 55XG9505.

They have a 49XG9005 in stock - Sony KD-49XG9005 KD49XG9005BU.A

Don't bother with any other models, they don't have a FALD unless they're hugely more expensive or OLED.

Other than that you're looking at 2020 model TV's which are now at their highest price and £1000+ minimum. Buying one of them I'm sure will leave a sour taste in your mouth when you can pick up the same TV in 9 months time for under £650
Thanks alot for the detailed post. I have looked at Sony website and looks like that model is already gone and new one with 5 year warranty is £789, unless that was the one you linked?

No it was £579 for a refurbished one.

I've had 2 refurbs from them and they've both been perfect. Probably just opened returns. One of them the box was a bit rough looking but the TV was perfect.

No it was £579 for a refurbished one.

I've had 2 refurbs from them and they've both been perfect. Probably just opened returns. One of them the box was a bit rough looking but the TV was perfect.
Guess you got lucky :)
I managed to get a not DV copy of same movie and much to my delight it didnt exhibit the issue as DV copy did! There is still some light bleed but no way near the same amount, so I am guessing that DV version on Netflix is borked. Who knew. I am gona keep testing and see how it goes.....for now

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom