Question Is this normal (dimming) behavior?

Hernandez

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently bought a Samsung UE40M5005 and am wondering if it's supposed to act this way. Basically, whenever a fully dark scene pops up (like in a transition in a movie, or during the end credits) the TV practically shuts itself down. As in, the screen really goes black. "Turned-off black."

After a lot of searching, I managed to find a video that shows the issue:

It's incredibly annoying in horror movies and games, that have a lot dark areas. I have also noticed that the screen dims itself automatically during certain scenes, which makes having a stable backlight setting basically impossible, but the whole turning itself down is the real deal breaker.

Is this something that happens on all brands, or just Samsung and this specific model? Is it working as intended?

PS: The first thing I did was triple-check that Energy Saving, Dynamic Contrast and Motion Lighting were all turned off. To be honest, every setting is turned off. The Picture Mode is Standard with default brightness and contrast. But it does the same on the other modes.

Thanks in advance!

If it's doing what it is in the video, then that is definitely a fault and is not normal behaviour from any TV

Thanks for the input, AndyRg4. I did a bit more testing and it turns out that it doesn't do that when PC mode is enabled.

Sadly, using PC mode to watch DVDs and BDs isn't possible. It's really weird, I'd never seen a TV that just fades to black when there's nothing bright on the screen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom