Is this Nikon 70-200 worth keeping.

TarMoo

I bought a 70-200VR today and went to Sheffield Park Gardens to try it out.

While I was there I was convinced that the lens was not sharp and was considering getting an exchange/refund. Looking at the images at maximum resolution on the camera LCD they looked a bit soft, but now that I am looking at home on my 24in PC monitor they don't seem so bad. Is this what you expect from a £1200 lens?

Last edited:

Yandros

Difficult to tell from those pics.

However, it should be close to the sharpness of your 105VR. Chuck 'em both on a tripod and take some test shots. :thumbsup:

I

imcarm

I bought a 70-200VR today and went to Sheffield Park Gardens to try it out.

While I was there I was convinced that the lens was not sharp and was considering getting an exchange/refund. Looking at the images at maximum resolution on the camera LCD they looked a bit soft, but now that I am looking at home on my 24in PC monitor they don't seem so bad. Is this what you expect from a £1200 lens?

This lens is supposed to be very good on a DX body like the D300. What do you think? Should I keep the lens?

I had the same feelings on my first outing with the 70-200, not had a chance to try it out since but I as you have also found, the images are not quite as pin sharp as one would expect with this lens on the D300.

I will go out tomorrow and do some test shots and see if it was me as this lens is supposed to be one of the sharpest.

Last edited by a moderator:
V

vulkan75

Because of the weight of this lens It can be very tricky getting Tac sharp shots below 1/1000... couple that with the D300 and thats a combo thats not forgiving of bad technique...at least thats what my experience as a owner of both..

Ive heard of soft Dud lenses but they are like the proveribal rocking horse..

Yandros suggestion is a good one..Id go with that for now.

I had a look at the large version of the swan on flickr and given the exif....shutter speed etc..it seems ok to me...you can make out droplets of water around the swans head and it seems to render detail ok.

Im becoming obsessed with soft images too...its really irritating so I feel for ya....Its not a cheapy after all:rolleyes:

Spooky

I was amazed after a long period of not using my camera and the 70-200 that I was getting soft shots, turned out it was just me. This is not a light combo as Vulkan said and its soooo easy to move when taking pics and thats more likely what your seeing. Popping it on the tripod confirmed this for me.
Another idea would be use the fine tune lens function. I have heard a few people prefer the older 80-200 over the 70-200 saying its a sharper lens so thats another thing to think off.

I

imcarm

Because of the weight of this lens It can be very tricky getting Tac sharp shots below 1/1000... couple that with the D300 and thats a combo thats not forgiving of bad technique...at least thats what my experience as a owner of both..

I think your spot on there vulcan, it is a heavy beast and even with VR I think the sharpness is going to suffer below 1/1000

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Nice set :rolleyes:

Looks pretty good to me sharpness wise the 70-200 from here with these two.

psenior1

not so sure about the portrait shots myself, I think we need to see several more ;):D

senu

Distinguished Member
not so sure about the portrait shots myself, I think we need to see several more ;):D
:devil::laugh:
..of the same, no doubt..:rolleyes:!

Im not very sure how sharp it gets, these look pretty sharp to me , On the first pic you can make out strands of the model hair.:smashin:

Yandros

:devil::laugh:
..of the same, no doubt..:rolleyes:!

Im not very sure how sharp it gets, these look pretty sharp to me , On the first pic you can make out strands of the model hair.:smashin:

She has hair? :oops: What lens was it we're talking about again? Sorry got distracted for a moment there!

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
I have just booked myself on a WHF "Wild Enigma Photo Safari" workship

I expect I am not the only one who will be very interested in reading about that. I cannot make one this week, but if you give the thumbs up I will book for sure.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
The weather looks to be OK for Friday, so I went for it.

But don't forget to charge your battery, dress up warm just in case and take your lens cap off :devil::D

dazza74

Distinguished Member
I Look forward to seeing the photo from your trip, hope the weather holds for you on Friday. Sounds like the sort of thing I'd like to have a go at as well

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom