Is This New?

mickbirch2000

Prominent Member
Reaction score
:smashin: I have recorded Later with Jools Holland & Eureka on Sky1 HD simultneously whilst watching the footy on ITV4 off air. I'm sure I could never do that on my Sky+, you could watch a recording whilst recording 2 other programs. I'm not sure how its worked but both recordings look OK?
Anybody else done this?
Mick

I would be surprised if they did given that SKY+ HD only has two tuners and two LNB feeds but who knows....

Obvious question but you don't have a TV with a DTT tuner do you?
:)

I think you will find that Jools was on at 8pm and Eureka was on at 9pm, if my memory serves me right - hence you were only recording one channel at once - Volcano was on BBCHD at 9pm as I watched and have recorded Eureka.

Watching a recording whilst recording 2 other progs is not new I have been doing it for years on my Sky+ box

Dave911 said:
I think you will find that Jools was on at 8pm and Eureka was on at 9pm, if my memory serves me right - hence you were only recording one channel at once - Volcano was on BBCHD at 9pm as I watched and have recorded Eureka.

:suicide:

Sometimes you totally miss the obvious:)

Sorry people, I must have looked at my planner at 9.00 pm just at the time when both were indicated as recording & then left it a couple of minutes before going back to the footy off air on ITV4 by which time one of the recordings had finished. Sure theres only 2 tuners & 2 LNB's connected so recording 2 programs whilst watching another channel on sky is impossible.:(

Of course it's possible to record two channels and at the same time watch a programme that has been previously recorded; you only need 2 tuners to do that !?!

Damn I must have a super special secret Sky+ box, since I record 2 progs and watch a recorded one all at the same time, don't tell anyone, otherwise they will all want to be able to do this.:thumbsup:

Actually, some Freeview PVRs (like my Topfield) can do exactly that - as long as the program you want to watch is on the same MUX as one of the recordings it uses the same tuner to receive both programs - now that's clever! I don't think that DSAT works the same way though and certainly Sky major on ease of use rather than technical features - I can't really see them putting in a warning message "sorry but you can't watch that channel at the moment, here's a list of the ones you can watch". Sky is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator user unfortunately and as such there aren't even options to edit programs in the planner to save disk space and suchlike. Surely they could put something like that on as an option with "subtitles for the hard of thinking" available? ;)

This has been a trait of sky+ since it came out, many a time i recorded 2 channels simultaneously whilst watching a recorded proggy, as said above you only need 2 tuners for that ;)

AllyJo said:
This has been a trait of sky+ since it came out, many a time i recorded 2 channels simultaneously whilst watching a recorded proggy, as said above you only need 2 tuners for that ;)
I don't know if you were replying to me but if you were then I am talking about the ability for the Topfield to watch a third LIVE program (record two, watch a third LIVE); you can even watch four at once with PIP (not sure why you'd want to).

We all know that you can record two and watch one from the planner, that's even in the Sky user manual!

Giblets2 said:
We all know that you can record two and watch one from the planner, that's even in the Sky user manual!
Except the OP:

I have recorded Later with Jools Holland & Eureka on Sky1 HD simultneously whilst watching the footy on ITV4 off air. I'm sure I could never do that on my Sky+

Unless of course he meant ON air, which would require three tuners!

AllyJo said:

Sorry to be picky, but when sky+ came out you couldn't dual record. It was added a lot later. :boring:

Giblets2 said:
I don't know if you were replying to me but if you were then I am talking about the ability for the Topfield to watch a third LIVE program (record two, watch a third LIVE); you can even watch four at once with PIP (not sure why you'd want to).

Actually, as strange as it seems my Sky+ box has very occasionally allowed me to watch another programme live whilst dual recording. Like you said, as with the Toppy, its possibly something to do with the channel perhaps being on the same MUX as one of the recordings or maybe both recordings are on the same MUX or maybe the fact that both recordings are on the same polarity, who knows, but it can happen. Its extremely rare and I haven't imagined it, it definitely happened on a couple of occasions.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom