1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this Mission combination....any good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hades, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Hi there,

Been looking at the following on the Richer Sounds site and was wondering if it is a good choice.

Fronts - Mission M74
    Rears - M7DS
    Centre - 77C1

Thoughts comments much appreciated....

Many thanks,

Gazza...

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Very familiar with these speakers. This package would go very well together. The M74's and the M7ds come from the same series, the M70 range, and go very well together, as they should.

The 77c1 comes from the more upmarket 77 series, but should have no problem combining with the M74's.

However, this setup would mean spending well over £400, and for that money, you could have the Mission Cinema 7 package from Richer Sounds. This consists of the 77c1 centre, with the 773e fronts and the 77ds rears. The 773e's are excellent speakers, better than anything from the M70 series. The 77ds are quite like the M7ds' big brothers. They're bipole, share the same properties, but are more effective and of better quality in my opinion.

Mission Cinema 7

This pack usually costs £800, but the £400 price tag from Richer Sounds is an absolute bargain.

But, as I always say... try and get yourself a demo... your ears always give the best advice.

3. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Many thanks for your comments Pointon....much appreciated.

I found from discussing with many people that there are three makes that people seem to swear buy....KEF, Mission and B&W. I know that B&W are the D's B's however the price is too. The KEF Cresta range I have not heard much about. The Mission look good and I am told buy a lad at work that they sound good.

I don't want to spend a fortune on my new speakers and then again I don't want something that will not *blow* me away.

What other combination of Misssion speakers could better the Mission 7 package.

Thanks in advance...

Gary.

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For the money, nothing can really better the Cinema 7 pack. It's one of the best AV speaker packages around at this time, certainly the best you can get from Mission (FS2 not included in that, different sort of kit).

Of course, the more you spend the better you'll be able to buy, but for £400 I don't think you'd do much better than that. You'd be hard pressed to find better for the full price of £800.

There are M70 packages available. The official Mission packages include the Cinema M71, and the award winning M72 packs.
    Leading Edge Concepts do packages with the M73 and the M74 too, but for the latter you'd be spending more than you would on the Cinema 7.

Basically, the Cinema 7 package cannot be beaten for £400.

Don't be put off by any photos you've seen of the Cinema 7 package. It does look quite large and over bearing, but they're only about the same size as the M70 series in actual fact.

Take a look for yourself - Mission

5. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Is the FS2 better than the Cinema 7 then? Just been looking at Home Cinema Choice reviews and the FS2 gets the 5 star treatment and the Cinema 7 gets 4 stars.

Again all comments appreciated....

Thanks,

Gary.

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Mission FS2 is a different kind of speaker to those mentioned already. It's a lifestyle speaker, small, compact and state of the art. The speakers are almost flat.

Hence it's expensive. The AV pack - subwoofer and satellite speakers - is about £600. Great kit but not exactly budget stuff.

Don't take too much notice of what magazines say, and if you do, try and get more than one opinion. Instead, try getting some demo's, in circumstances and an environment as similar to the one you will be using the kit as possible. At home with some loan kit if even more possible.

7. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO... the Mission 70C2 centre is a much better speaker.

Taz.:cool:

keep an eye out... I may be about to sell my Mission 70C2, 702e's and 700's for a good price!;)

8. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Together or seperately?

If seperately, how much do you want for the 700's? I've been after some cheap speakers to give to my computer for music playback. What finish are they?

The 70c2 is a damn good speaker, as long as you don't do what an aquaintance of mine did and accidently buy a rubbish 70c1 in a 70c2's box. Dumbass.

9. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    What is the best combination of Mission speakers that I can buy please that will *blow* me away and keep me happy for quite a while.

Cheers,

Gary...

10. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really want to sell them as a package, just waiting on some info from ReTrO.

Taz.:cool:

11. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    pointon.

Rears look a little weedy at 75watts max, especially as amps seem to be getting more and more powerful, can they take it!!
    I know we dont always have it up to the max (some of us have neighbors to think about), but now and again we like to show off (oh yes we do:D ), are they up to the odd foolish clockwise spin of the volume Knob?

Si

PS. £400 looks a hell of a bargain!!

12. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've never had much trouble with them at all. I have them, and I've actually had to turn the rears down a bit because they made their presence felt so much, so they're never going to get any where near 100 watt on my Yamaha AX620 - actually due to small space and neighbour restrictions it's never gone past -40.

Believe me they do the job, and then some. And then some more.

Nevermind then, Taz... with my nose I'll find myself a bargain sooner or later.