Question Is this MB bundle good enough for 4K video

PerfectBlue97

I want to replace my ageing HTPC as the hardware is giving me trouble and I have 3 questions.

1) Would this motherboard\CPU\RAM bundle be any good for an HTPC (Movies and music only, no gaming)
2) Would it be able to run 4K video at an "acceptable" rate
3) What would be a good "quiet" low profile cooler for it

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/afterburn...bronze-motherboard-and-processor-bundle-a01uu

I haven't brought the case yet so I don't have any specific size requirements, I'm either going to use Openelec\Libreelec or Ubuntu and Kodi as the OS.

I already have a couple of media streaming boxes and sticks that I'm happy with, so there's no need to suggest that I try one.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The A6-6400k is a 2013 model so it doesn't have the decoding hardware for HEVC format video which a lot of 4K content is being delivered in. At a similar price I would go for something like this:

Adata Premier 4GB 1X4GB Memory Module DDR4 2133MHz PC4-17000 DIMM - AD4U2133W4G15-B
Intel Pentium G4560 - 3.5GHz Dual Core Socket 1151 Processor - BX80677G4560
ASRock B250M-HDV - mATX Motherboard for Intel Socket 1151 CPUs - 90-MXB3J0-A0UAYZ

They're not pre-assembled but dropping in the CPU and slotting in the memory are simple jobs.

Although one issue for DRM'd 4K is that it's difficult to find a cheap motherboard with HDMI 2.0.

In terms of cooling, if you're happy with a thicker case then a ~£25 tower cooler will generally be very quiet. I've heard good things about the tower cooler's in Silverstone's Argon range or the Xigmatek Gaia.

You can get quiet coolers all the way along the size range though, although you do tend to pay more for the smaller models. Something like Noctua's NH-L9i is supposed to be inaudible on it's lower settings and is only 37mm tall.

PerfectBlue97

How about this one?

Intel G4560 Dual Core 3.5GHz CPU Asus H110M-PLUS Motherboard DDR4 HDMI 4K Bundle

I'm more interested in the bundles because the seller guarantees comparability between components. I've had "quibbles" before when I have brought separate hardware that was faulty and the seller questioned the comparability when I said that it was broken when it was sold to me.

It's more simplicity and warranty than actually putting things together. PC components are pretty much plug and play these days.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The motherboard mostly just comes down to ports, so as long as you're happy with it's outputs then that's fine. Only having 4 USB ports would put me off for a normal computer, but it seems like sufficient for an HTPC and there are 3 internal headers so you can add more cheaply if needed.

£53 for 8GB of memory is a decent price at the moment too, although you're unlikely to need that much.

I've never dealt with the company before so I can't say what the service/warranty is like.

PerfectBlue97

The motherboard mostly just comes down to ports, so as long as you're happy with it's outputs then that's fine. Only having 4 USB ports would put me off for a normal computer, but it seems like sufficient for an HTPC and there are 3 internal headers so you can add more cheaply if needed.

£53 for 8GB of memory is a decent price at the moment too, although you're unlikely to need that much.

I've never dealt with the company before so I can't say what the service/warranty is like.
I don't really get the whole "millions of USB ports" thing. Most of the time I only use two ports. One for my wireless keyboard and mouse and another to sync my Fitbit.

On an HTPC, well ... you can use a single bluetooth dongle for the keyboard mouse and remote control and ... maybe some LED fairy lights I supposed.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'm using one each for my mouse and keyboard (battery-free versions), one for my wi-fi adapter, one for my back-up hard drive and one connected to a MicroUSB cable that I use for various things like my eReader and phone.

It's likely I'll be adding a Type C cable to the Micro B cable over the next couple of years and there are several occasional-use devices that get plugged in like a joystick, gamepad & battery charger.

Sure I could use a hub or USB power supply for some of that, but why add extras boxes and cables when you don't need to?

PerfectBlue97

I'm a neat freak. That many cables would make me crazy.

PerfectBlue97

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom