Is this marketing spin?

scarty16

Prominent Member
Reaction score
From the HCC website

The High Definition format goes from 420i to 1080p. Yet most HDMI cables only handle 1080i properly. IXOS has spent a huge amount of time developing the XHT458 cable so that it delivers 1080p performance and full compatibility with all future HD hardware launches.

Is this correct as I would have thought that it was more to do with the chipsets used rather than a cable carrying ones and zeroes.

scarty16 said:
From the HCC website

The High Definition format goes from 420i to 1080p. Yet most HDMI cables only handle 1080i properly. IXOS has spent a huge amount of time developing the XHT458 cable so that it delivers 1080p performance and full compatibility with all future HD hardware launches.

Is this correct as I would have thought that it was more to do with the chipsets used rather than a cable carrying ones and zeroes.

www.hdmi.org

This will tel you all you need to know. But yes it is marketing spin. All cable hype is spin.

I've run my LCD monitor of 2560x1600 pixels @ 60Hz -- many multiples more bandwidth than 1080i -- on several types of DVI cable (which is similar to HDMI) from cheapest to very expensive and they all worked with picture perfect accuracy.

Higher spec digital cables can carry the signal further is all, you can start to get sparklies if the cable is too long for it's specs. But we're talkings lots of metres here.

A mere 1080i (1920x540pixels @ 60Hz) bandwidth versus 1080p (1920x1080pixels @ 60Hz) bandwidth is neither here or there for most shielded cables. My old CRT monitor was higher resolution than 1080p and that carried error free signals over regular VGA cable.

Marketing spin!

StooMonster

scarty16

BetterCables have been delivering 1080P up to 15m over HDMI and DVI for the last twelve months and now have 23m and 31m HDMI cables that are 1080P capable.

What you have to consider is that everything is made to a tolerance so no matter what the HDMI spec says if your DVD player manufacturer, Cable manufacturer or Display device manufacturer have poor tolerances you can have problems with HDMI - especially so on longer cable runs and with higher resolution signals.

I've seen low cost (and expensive) HDMI cables where we achieved different results with cables from within the same batch - manufacturing techniques do vary and don't use price as an indicator of absolute quality.

Whatever cable you choose ensure you fully test it in your system before you install or commit to it - also be clear if you require Video Only or Video Audio over HDMI; again not all long HDMI cables will do both effectively.

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom