1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this letter misleading? Opinions please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Setenza, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    My friend has two elderly parents who are both registered postal voters. They vote this way due to their health.

Their local MP Bridget Prentice has written to all postal voters, towing the party line and trying to drum up trade. Nothing wrong with that I guess. I'm sure it's being done by all parties.

Here is scan of the front of the letter:

[​IMG]

Then, on the back you have this on the reverse.

[​IMG]

Now for those who read things thoroughly this does state "if you want to vote labour", but as we all know, not everyone reads that way. For the old, the ill or those who generally fear paperwork, this is a little misleading.

Would it not have been better if the caption had read "to make your vote" and that the names on the example ballot paper had said "example name" etc.

Should this letter have been clearer? Or do you like me, detect a cynical attempt to try and trick a few vunerable members of the electorate in to voting a particular way?

Opinions please.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Exactly what I thought. Although I got similar letters from the Tory, Lib Dem and Green reps in my town. :rolleyes:

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    It suggests to me that Ms Prentice doesn't have a hugely flattering view of her constituents.

This time 'round up Buckinghamshire way, all the mailshots from the candidates have been acting in a fashion that leaves me choosing my vote with the enthusiasm of selecting which testicle I'd like removed.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Whilst it would be better for them to say "put a cross opposite the candidate you wish to vote for" I do not think what they have done is unethical.

I am however surprised that it appears to have been such a random mail shot and not better targetted to the recepient - given the "target audiance" I think the priority of the points address could have been done in a much better way - after all the majority of people who's vote can be swayed do so on a "whats in it for me" attitude

5. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I Don't think there is anything wrong with it :confused:

It clearly says "to vote Labour" on it.

If someone who doesn't want to vote for Labour doesn't notice that then perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to vote anyway.

Adrenochrome.