Is this lens flare?

tjbmtb

Standard Member
I recently bought a Sigma 70-300 APO DG, to go on my D50.

Took some photos at Silverstone Classic on Sunday and quite a few of the shots have green patches, see examples below.

Is this lens flare? If so, is there anything I can do to stop it happening. I was using the lens hood, and was shooting at approx 90 degrees to the sun.

Any help/advice much appreciated

Attachments

• flare 1.jpg
    flare 1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 103
  • flare 3.jpg
    flare 3.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 102
  • flare 2.jpg
    flare 2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 113

steve.o

Looks to me like internal reflection caused by lens flare. Are you using a filter of any type on the lens? A good quality UV filter like a Hoya PRO1 Digital or a Jessops PRO Digital (pretty much the same thing just re-branded) which are multi coated should help reduce flare.

HTH...steve.o

tjbmtb

Standard Member
steve.o said:
Looks to me like internal reflection caused by lens flare. Are you using a filter of any type on the lens? A good quality UV filter like a Hoya PRO1 Digital or a Jessops PRO Digital (pretty much the same thing just re-branded) which are multi coated should help reduce flare.

HTH...steve.o

Have to confess I just have a cheap Jessops skylight filter on it at the moment. Could this be part of the problem?

steve.o

Im not 100% but it could be. Every lens element adds to the possibilty of internal reflections and so adding a filter onto the front of the lens adds another surface for the light to reflect back on. The filters i recommended above are specially coated to prevent reflection. Using a filter like this may help, but im not sure if it will eliminate the problem. Im am by no means an expert, i am just passing on info i have learnt from friends and colleagues :lesson:

...steve.o

ocdwhiteboard

you could try getting a lens hood or cupping a hand to the side of the lens to stop light coming in obliquely

tjbmtb

Standard Member
owain_thomas said:
you could try getting a lens hood or cupping a hand to the side of the lens to stop light coming in obliquely

I was using the lens hood that came with the lens, which is why I'm surprised that I'm getting this effect.

Ray

Although it is obviously some sort of light effect/abberation it doesn't look like normal lens flare to me. Even without any sort of hood on the lens I wouldn't expect to get flare unless standing at less than 90 degrees to the light source (usually below 45 degrees). In the examples there isn't any flare coming in from the side and it looks more like refraction rather than reflection i.e. caused by the internal elements of the lens. I assume the green tinge may be something to do with internal lens coating. If this is something you always get it will ruin a lot of good photos so I would get it checked out at a camera shop or try another lens of the same make to compare results.

Ray

severnsource

In the second image you can see that the coloured blurs are internal reflections of the two specular highlights on the car body just above. With such a high contrast subject all lenses will produce effects like this to some extent, although the effect will be worse with multi element zooms.

As the highlight is in the picture area there is nothing that you can do about it. Lens hoods only reduce flare from light coming from outside the acceptance angle of the lens, and filters only add more potentially reflecting surfaces to the lens, so can only make the problem worse.

The only options are to get a better lens or work on your photoshop skills!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom