Is this lens any good?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by SeeHear, Apr 28, 2007.

1. SeeHear

SeeHear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

im looking to replace the kit lens for my 400d.
    At the moment it will be used for everyday general photography.
    Giving me headache!! theres so many about... was thinking of saving up for the CANON 17-85MM IS USM LENS which is around 330 on ebay, can you guys suggest anything better, obvisouly i dont want to spend loads but dont want a crappy lens... has to have good IQ.

Dave Terri

2. jonnypb

jonnypb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    How about the Sigma 17-70

you don't have the IS but the 17-70 is suppose to be optically better than the canon 17-85IS and you can get it for around £220

3. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    Unfortunately if you want good IQ its unlikely that, from what I've heard, the 17-85 IS will offer you that. The main benefit of this lens is the IS. For top notch IQ the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 is extremely highly rated. This lens is also considerably faster being constant F2.8.

Other alternatives are the Sigma 17-70 which has better image quality than the Canon but no IS and is only slightly faster. The daddy is the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS which combines the good points of all the lenses: Constant F2.8, extreme sharpness and of course IS. However it does come at the rather hefty price of £565 via Kerso on POTN. I haven't regreted spending the extra dosh on mine for a second though.

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    Dave
    I agree with ally about the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Its a fantastic lens. ive shot loads with it and although i replaced it with the Canon 17-55IS i still have a soft spot for the Tarmon as IQ is close but its much smaller and lighter.
    You can pick one up quite cheaply these days from someone who has upgraded to the Canon and is looking to sell locally as he doesn't really want to post it;)

5. allie5

allie5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I chose the 17-85IS as the walkabout lens for my 30D. I cant say Im that impressed with it. It gives adequate results, but after using it a fair bit, its not fantastic. I find myself using my cheap 50mm f/1.8 over the 17-85 quite a bit. For nearly half the price the Sigma is a worthy contender if you cant run to the 17-55IS or the Tamron 17-50.

When I first started on this DSLR lark (only a few months ago!) I didnt really appreciate the difference that "fast glass" would make and concentrated too much on "how much zoom" and features, like IS and USM. If I had a chance to start from scratch, my lens choices would be totally different!

I cant say I could heartily recommend the 17-85IS - its OK but not outstanding for the money. I think you could spend £330 better - the Sigma 17-70 and the Canon 50mm f1.8 would be a good start.

6. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Got to agree. Whilst the 17-85 is a nice upgrade from the kit lens, you'll find it isn't as good as you might hope and you'll want a sharper, better built lens soon after.

I did the same as you, got the 17-85 as an upgrade, but then changed to the 17-55 which is faster, better built, with cracking sharpness and contrast.

I'd leave the 17-85 if I were you.

7. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    The 17-85 IS USM is IMHO very badly slagged off.
    For all its shortcomings, I like it and Im able to live with its limitations . I dont use it below 24mm ( I have a Tokina 12-24 for that range)
    This post is not so much to recommend it but if it is available for not very much I would not rule it out

A review HERE

It is most certainly no match for the 17-55 ( that is really fast L glass ) or the 17-40 L .
    I find it much better than the kit lens by a multitude of factors

It is however not as fast as it could be and it is rather costly compared to the likes of the Sigma 17-70. Saying that, the Sigma has a very limited focal length before its minimum aperture goes up from f 2.8 and IS means the Canon can be used hand held up to 3 stops ( in shutter speed) more than a "normal" f4

Its shortcomings seem to be more glaring on the 30D but on the 350 it is IMO more than just OK.

Its main "fault" is that it isn't cheap (poor VFM) and seems to promise more than it delivers on sharpness and AF fidelity.
    Its IS however works well and the Ring type USM with FTM focus works as well. It is built well

Regarding the comment on the 50mm by allie5 ,

One would have to spend up to £560-600 on the 17-55 f2.8 IS USM before you got any of the budget Wide angle zooms to give you the type of performance a 50m prime would give you ( I have both the 1.8 and 1.4) .
    I imagine you would still reach for your 50mm even if you had the Sigma 17-70
    But I agree with the VFM statement. There is currently a Canon cashback on it though (of £100) and the Tamron is also a definite contender

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
  9. Saracenn

Saracenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Despite this being my first post, I'll get stuck in.

I've just bought the 17-85 IS. While it might not be worth £330, it's definitely worth the £230 it costs, after the £100 Canon rebate on offer at the moment. The IS works great, and it's not too heavy either. The extra range is good too and it performs quite well at 85mm.

I'm no pro, but thought I'd remind everyone of the £100 rebate on offer on this lens. Just make sure you get it from a UK source to qualify. I got it from Kerso but haven't got the refund yet.

This lens business is addictive! I'm looking at the 70-300 IS next, but that'll probably be way down the line.

10. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    That is an excelent price for the 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS at £235, if you get your rebate. I would be very interested to here if you qualify through ebay as opposed to a high street retailer. Please let us know how you get on.

11. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    If you can get it for £230 then you are getting pretty good value. I wouldn't pay £300+ for it (oops - I did actually!) but £230 makes it a good upgrade for the kit lens with IS making the difference.