Is this LCD an HDTV? Confusion reigns!

Shineymcshine

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a nice 17"ish LCD TV, and the Samsung 730mp ( http://***********/9rbj8 ) is one of the few that has 16ms response time and decent inputs. My problem is, I'm really not sure if it's HD capable or not. I know that all HD content is in widescreen, and this is a 5:4 TV, but it has a DVI plug marked up as HDCP compatible, which would be an odd thing to have if it weren't capable of showing HD signals in some form? As it's 1280x1024, maybe 720p in letterbox? Can anyone shed some light on this?

I would doubt it, it's not technically a TV, it's more of a PC monitor with a TV tuner built in....

I'm not sure I understand the distinction. Don't almost all LCDs have VGA or DVI inputs to act as a PC monitor as well?

Shineymcshine said:
I'm not sure I understand the distinction. Don't almost all LCDs have VGA or DVI inputs to act as a PC monitor as well?

Those are tv's acting as a monitor...

You're talking about a monitor acting as a tv...

The display technology is the same, but the processing...is completely different.

It is HDTV ready it says on the website... (!NOT HD READY!). So it will accept HD signals, but NOT HDMI.

Well, if the 730MP is no good, are there any decent 17" or 20" LCDs with a 16ms response time? Most review sites focus on the big 26 inchers and up, but there's legions of crappy budget small models that need avoiding.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom