is this laptop good for gaming?

jpb82

Novice Member
hi all

im currently looking for a new gaming laptop ive been told that
the new sony ar series notebooks are excellent the one im currently
looking at is the SONY VAIO AR11B which is in my price range.
below i have listed some of the important specs
could someone take a look for me and let me if this
laptop will be good for gaming.

cpu: intel core duo T2300 1.66 ghz (dual core)
ram: 1GB (installed) 2GB maximum
graphics: nvidia geforce go 7400 turbo cache supporting 256mb
hard drive: 100 GB

thankyou

brain_stew

Novice Member
jpb82 said:
hi all

im currently looking for a new gaming laptop ive been told that
the new sony ar series notebooks are excellent the one im currently
looking at is the SONY VAIO AR11B which is in my price range.
below i have listed some of the important specs
could someone take a look for me and let me if this
laptop will be good for gaming.

cpu: intel core duo T2300 1.66 ghz (dual core)
ram: 1GB (installed) 2GB maximum
graphics: nvidia geforce go 7400 turbo cache supporting 256mb
hard drive: 100 GB

thankyou
Its OK but nothing more as the 7400 is a mid-low end card. If you want to do a decent amount of gaming on the laptop then you should really look for something with a 7600 Go or MR X1600.

You may want to take a llook at this, it is getting some very nice reviews and is the laptop I'll soon be purchasing. Its 7600 graphics card is just about the most powerful card you'll find in this form factor and it also has 512MB of dedicated memory which is very rare. You can customise to however you like and it will be much cheaper than the Sony, 1GB RAM and a T2300 or better should be more than sufficient.

This Asus laptop is also worth looking at as well but its a little more expensive.

P.S. Be wary of cards that mention "turbocache" and "hypermemory" as these steal at least half of their memory from your system RAM which decreases performance. For example that Sony will only have ~128MB of RAM and the Asus will have 256MB (although 256MB is really more than enough).

Edit: I've just looked up that Sony and damn is it ever overpriced. If you're going for a 17" laptop and have that sort of budget than you really should be getting something with a 7900GS (which is easily 3-4x as powerful as the go 7400). Are you sure you want a 17" laptop though? I mean it is going to be very difficult to carry around on any sort of regular basis and battery life won't be great either and if you're not going to be moving it around why pay a premium for a laptop in the first place?

T

|TN|Flip

Ive got the 7600 Go I really do recommend it for a nice gaming laptop maybe also a faster processer I have the 1.83Ghz Core Duo and I think it would run alot better with 2.3Ghz Dual Core or something like that.

Id have a look at the Dell Inspiron 9400 its a nice laptop :)

brain_stew

Novice Member
|TN|Flip said:
Ive got the 7600 Go I really do recommend it for a nice gaming laptop maybe also a faster processer I have the 1.83Ghz Core Duo and I think it would run alot better with 2.3Ghz Dual Core or something like that.

Id have a look at the Dell Inspiron 9400 its a nice laptop :)
Not really, 1.83ghz Core Duo is fast enough for modern games and it will be bottlenecked by the GPU anyway. You'd only see very minimal gains going from a 1.83 to 2.0 or above (we're talking a few FPS at most) and its just not worth the price premium if gaming is your main consideration.

J

Jahan

Hi there im a proud owner of the ar11s laptop which has a 7600gtgo which is awesome for hires gaming even in todays games, but the blueray drive and the high res screen bumped the price quite a bit, BUT i have heard that some online retailers (not sure which ones) allow custom configuration for the ar series so if this is possible id pay that little bit extra to upgrade to a 7600 or a 7600gt. For instance with the 7600gt i get nearly 6000 3dmarks in 05 whereas the ar11b will get around 2000 3dmarks in 05. TBH the media center Sony AR series are absolutely Amazing but youd probably get a better gaming laptop for the same price ie better gpu and cpu. If your priority is gaming/price id recommend a Dell laptop (This coming from a Sony Fanboy) if you got the Dosh Go for Sony AR seies with a 7600 or better!

T

|TN|Flip

I got my laptop to run CoD2 with 244FPS :) I have done alot of optermization to my XP

jason_5

Standard Member
I have the ar11b and its great, but you'll want to upgrade the ram to 2GB and hard drive to at least 200GB (theres space for 2 anyway)
Thinking of swapping over to a mac though so i'll be selling it soon.

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
Assuming you need the laptop so its truly portable, then consider Dell's....well made if you are not going for the stupidly cheap models and Dell get good quality parts for their mid-high end models, Mr Dell is a good business partner with Mr Gates...heh...also their warranties are good too.

If you just want to be able to take the PC from place to place and will have power access where you go, consider getting a shuttle PC and a monitor with detachable base. A shuttle PC can be configured for half the price on the same performence ratio against a laptop. Especially if you build it yourself, but even if you have it custom built it wont cost much more than building yourself nowadays.

The CPU speed does matter more nowadays as games are introcuding extra physics effects which are solely CPU based. But yes, generally the GPU will be the bottleneck in a laptop. Especially if the screen is a 1900x1280 affair.

edit: for future gaming, deffo get 2Gb RAM, dont worry about HDD space so much, 80Gb or up is enough for the OS and games, it'll be cheaper nowadays to just buy an offboard HDD that you can plug'n'play for the music/movie type files :)

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I've got a laptop with a 17" display and couldn't go back to a smaller one now. I carry it around with me (abroad and in the UK) and it's no problem carrying it around in it's proper case.
I would agree with the people who say you need 2Gig or RAM - especially if you're running Vista !

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I'd go for a desktop every time for gaming, but it all depends on the spec of what you are buying.

Timh

Its OK but nothing more as the 7400 is a mid-low end card. If you want to do a decent amount of gaming on the laptop then you should really look for something with a 7600 Go or MR X1600.

You may want to take a llook at this, it is getting some very nice reviews and is the laptop I'll soon be purchasing. Its 7600 graphics card is just about the most powerful card you'll find in this form factor and it also has 512MB of dedicated memory which is very rare. You can customise to however you like and it will be much cheaper than the Sony, 1GB RAM and a T2300 or better should be more than sufficient.

This Asus laptop is also worth looking at as well but its a little more expensive.

P.S. Be wary of cards that mention "turbocache" and "hypermemory" as these steal at least half of their memory from your system RAM which decreases performance. For example that Sony will only have ~128MB of RAM and the Asus will have 256MB (although 256MB is really more than enough).

Edit: I've just looked up that Sony and damn is it ever overpriced. If you're going for a 17" laptop and have that sort of budget than you really should be getting something with a 7900GS (which is easily 3-4x as powerful as the go 7400). Are you sure you want a 17" laptop though? I mean it is going to be very difficult to carry around on any sort of regular basis and battery life won't be great either and if you're not going to be moving it around why pay a premium for a laptop in the first place?
the Znote 3415W - Gamer looks an amazing deal!
I didn't think you could get a reasonable specked laptop for that kind of money :eek:

HMHB

Distinguished Member
My only problem with that one would be the 14" screen as it would be too small for my tastes. My 17" screen is the same resolution as that one and it makes the text very readable, whereas everything would be that much smaller on that 14" one.

Timh

My only problem with that one would be the 14" screen as it would be too small for my tastes. My 17" screen is the same resolution as that one and it makes the text very readable, whereas everything would be that much smaller on that 14" one.
Hi, Its a 15.4" sorry my link was incorrect, it should work now :suicide: