1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This Jvc Any Good

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by bigjonnyauk, Jul 16, 2004.

1. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    HI ALL

not having much money and wanting to replace my bush 28 inch yes i know bush

i have seen this at empire and really like the look of it

now i know there is a newer version with better sound but i will not be using the sound as i feed it all through my home cinema

also it says it has 3 scarts 2 with svideo now i thought svideo was a round plug so whats the deal the as i would like to connect the following

scart 1 ntl via rgb
    scart 2 dvd player via svideo
    scart 3 playstation 2 not botheres greatly about the uality of that so will be normal connection

so if any one can help or has this let me know thanks i also know there are other t.v that are better but also more priced i really cant stretch to more money and also want 32 inch

thankyou all and heres hoping this thread gets lots of replies before i buy

i couldnt find any info much in the section on jvc t.vs surley they are not that bad

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/productdetails/index.asp?modelcode=JVC-AV32T4S&clear=#

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I bought this tv in the end. It was cheap and simple and the 50Hz made the 100Hz tvs look crappy every time. The only 100Hz I saw I liked was the Sony 32FX68.

Scart 1 and 2 both accept RGB. Download the manual from www.jvc.co.uk and see the set up for yourself.

S Video can be piped through a scart in the same way as it can a 'round' plug.
    Simply nominate scart 2 to do s video in the menus if that's what you want.

Be aware though, that this tv does NOT have stereo audio outputs, but instead uses scart 2 to feed audio out if you want to send audio to an external amplifier. So you'd lose the input there if you did that.

Overall it's ok for what it is. Mine has a small geometry error which can be fixed like all JVCs by going into the service menu, press i and mute together and select option 4 to adjust settings. (Record original settings first of course.)

At £468 it's an excellent price. :smashin:

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You can plug your playstation into av4 on the back of the set, which has phono connections for left/right stereo and composite video. That way you can do everything you want. All the inputs can be individually labelled, ie, Sky, Playstattion and DVD etc.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  5. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    @ general skanky thankyou very much for all your replies

when you say it feeds audio through scart 2 would this mean buying a scart to audio adapter BUT...................

i dont currentley use the audio out plugs on my bush this is how i am set up at the minute and prosume i could do the same

ps2 and dvd player currentley switching between scart 2 and also via optical lead into my amp then select dvd to get sound from either

ntl box using scart one and audio leads to amp then select sat to hear sound

video passes through ntl and audio fed to amp via audio leads then i select vid on amp

i dont have the tv audio conncted as all channels are watched through ntl anyways

and if its just to watch a quick 5 min news or something i just use the tv sound

so i am prsuming i could set up the following going on your comments

SCART 1 NTL VIA RGB
    SCART2 DVD PLAYER VIA RGB OR SVID (which pic quality you think would be best)
    SCART 3 PLAYSTATION 2

THEN SOUND AS FOLLOWS

ntl audio > sat input
    vid audio> vid input
    dvd player and ps2 > dvd input via optical (is it possible to one of those switching things that you can plug 2 opticals in then it goes into one in amp saves me changing as only got one optical input

cheers

also when you say geometry probs record first i prosume you mean get the menu up then record it on your video so you know the original settings top idea that lol
    SCART

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The way you want to set up your kit sounds fine to me.

S Video vrs RGB when done properly is argumentative. I'd simply try it and see what you prefer.

When I said record it, I meant write it down. :)

Finally, the shelves that are on the stand are a bit flimsy. They'll hold a unit each, but would break if too many things were stacked on them. They can be simply left out though if needed, which is handy.

Glad to be of help.

7. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i have a huge wodden double door cabinet i am hopefully prosuming you dont have to use the stand as i dont want to thats why i cant have the panasonic cuz i hear u need the stand cuz the middle drops

anyways think i am gonna go with the jvc although there is a shortage at the minute due to the euro 2004 packages they were doing

they also have a sony hkt250 surround on there for 150 which has 2 optical inputs i am thinking about but wheather this would be as good as my philipps mx 9000 i paid 300 quid for 18 months ago i dont know

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You don't need the stand. I just like it on it. Quite nice.

9. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    aye thanks for that

would you say the pic is good very good or excellent the one in the shop seemed very good i asked them to put a dvd on and a tv channel both seemed very good although the tv did look a bit grainy but this could be any thing from interference in the shop to the splitting of 1 aeriel to like 20 teles lol

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Picture is pretty good.

As long as the source is good, you won't be disapppointed at all.

You won't find anything better for £486 at 32"! Put it that way.

11. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ok great just hope they get some in soon

i am stil wondering on getting it all together though been thinking and wonder if this is better as i have 2 ixos scart leads already

and my amp has a optical in and a coax in

scart1= ntl scart to scart video passes through this aswell
    scart2 = dvd player using rgb
    scart3= playstation 2 i see you can get a ps2 svideo scart so i could set the input on the scart 3 socket to svid

amp

ntl.amp via normal l/r audio only connection it has
    playstation2 >amp optical cable
    dvd player >amp using the coax

i am just wondering if the sound is any different via coax than optical