1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IS THIS INVENTION POSSIBLE?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ROGER THE LODGER, Jul 1, 2001.

1. ROGER THE LODGER

ROGER THE LODGER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Somebody I came across,is trying to combine a single lens type projector,with a....PERISCOPE yes the tube with mirrors thing you see at Royal Weddings etc.
    All you can see in the ceiling is the end of the tube,which is hardly noticable.
    Its not finished,and so I wondered is this a great idea,or a waste of time?
    What does everybody think?
    Regards. Roger the Lodger

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    This is possible, though it would need a projector with a long throw lens if the perescope is to remain small and unobtrusive.

The same principle is in use in most rear projection TVs, although the final mirror tends to be quite large.

Regards

3. ROGER THE LODGER

ROGER THE LODGER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Chris,
    I hoped the idea was possible.Personally I think that big projectors look horrible exposed on the ceiling,so any progress at concealment is to be welcomed.

P.S. My wife's just upset me by remarking that sometimes small and unobtrusive isn't always what women want! I'm off to re-check my measurements.
    Regards. Roger the Lodger

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Draper already do just such a device for in ceiling placement of LCD/DLP's.

You should remember when doing this that the use of mirrors will reduce light output and affect colour balance. Then again, only a perv would notice this.......

Gordon

5. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rodger
    I know two guys with in-ceiling units installed who's wives are very happy :)
    I don't have any pictures because these people don't like any sort of publicity but I do have a picture of one company in-ceiling installation we did that will show the mirrors. http://www.mcgahon-oneill.com/prod03.htm
    closer look
    http://www.mcgahon-oneill.com/new_page_1.htm
    Bye the way with these surface mirrors light fall-off is not really as big a problem as many people think. The real problem is optical keystone correction,the ideal requirement for these units is over 14 degrees!.
    The ceiling unit in the picture is not the 'Draper revelation' but is in fact a European built unit designed primarily for cruise ships!.
    Self contained housing (12" depth),internal cooling, bolts into place,in other words heavy duty.
    Where'as the Draper is basically a pallet suspended on four turnbuckles with the projector sitting on it and is also alot more expensive!.

[ 02-07-2001: Message edited by: PaulO' ]

6. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    PaulO,

Neat gadget :cool:

How does the 'hatch' open? Is it electrically operated and remote controlled? Do you have these things made or are they available retail etc? I've wanted something to control a door in my equipment cupboard and this looks like it may be the ticket.

7. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Black 5
    The opening is achieved by a electricaly driven jack-arm with an internal screw mechanisim similar to the arms that open and close electric gates but much neater!
    The actual dear part of the system are the two single surface mirrors,they are horrendously expensive.
    The system you were looking at is completely remote controlled.