1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this guy talking nonsense ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DeanE, Oct 29, 2004.

1. DeanE

DeanE
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,554
    Hi,

I was after getting a Panasonic TH-42PE30B Plasma. I am wanting it set into the wall so its completely flush with the wall, but the salesman has told me that it can't be done with that TV as its missing a bracket (or something).

He instead recommended the TH-42PWD6EX/BX. He said that this had the bracket required etc .. and was a great plasma.

Firstly, is the guy talking nonsense about the bracket on my original choice, and if he's telling the truth what are your views on the plasma he recommended ?

Btw, is there any difference between the TH-42PWD6EX and the TH-42PW6B ?

Thanks,
    Dean.

2. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    IIRC wall mounting the TH-42PE30B won't sit the plasma as close to the wall as a TH42PW6BX wall mounted. Something to do with the design at the back I think. It's also not a good idea to set a plasma into a wall unless you leave room for ventilation or can extract the heat from the back.

This should answer your question about the different models of PW6

http://www.base-displays.com/PanasonicWarranty.htm

3. DeanE

DeanE
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,554
    Thanks for your reply,

There is plenty of ventilation at the back, that was the first thing we made sure of.

Thanks for the information regarding the varying model numbers of the PW6 series.

Can anyone offer any comments regarding the quality of the TH-42PWD6EX ? It would be good to get some opinions from people who own the plasma.

Thanks,
    Dean.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    `TH-42PE30B is a TV TH-42PW6b is a panel different beasts PW6/7 will sit closer to wall caost £1600ish less bracket.......................PE30 is £2500+ inc wall mount both can be wall mounted.... diffference is PE30B is an IDTV and PW6/7 is a PDP (plasma display panel) you takes your pick but have a search and a look at www.av-sales.com forst and the help a beginner thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154292&highlight=beginner

5. DeanE

DeanE
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,554
    I've looked in other threads already, read lots of reviews etc .. but considering this is a respected board I wanted the views from anyone that owns that model. I find that word of mouth is a lot better than 'some' biased reviews.

So I take it you don't have an opinion on the model I mentioned ?

6. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hornydragon, how many drinks had you had when you wrote that ;)

7. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    There are lots of PWD6 owners on here, and many comments from said owners regarding the quality of the set. There are also many opinions from pros who sell and/or install plasmas. Suggest you make use of the search function.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello DeanE

Maybe not nonsense but maybe slight off track.

Its difficult to get a 'flushed' in look with a unit that doesn't have a flat profile - see Panasonic Viera advertising; the TH-42PE30 PlasmaTV has an inwards curve where it transitions from the Black screen surround to the silver speakers.

The TH-42PWD6BX Plasma Display is the 'reference' model for most folk - Industrial and Consumer' and there are literally hundreds of owners of that model on the AV Forums.

The Plasma Display model has a simple grey bezel on all four sides (approx 45mm) and no loudspeakers so its much easier to get the 'flushed' in look with this model.

Don't dismiss lightly the warning about heeding the manufacturers instructions for ventilation (you'll need to read the Installation guide to see what's recommended) - get it wrong and you'll cook your display in jig time; and any engineer looking at repairing it will know you've overcooked it and not repair it under warranty.

You also have to work out how you get it into and out of its 'flushed' in surroundings and how you get cables to it.

You may want to enlist the help/experience of a seasoned installer!!!

Best regards

Joe

9. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,448
    DeanE

I think the question was answered.

The PE30 is a TV - which has a whole range of inputs, analogue TV tuner and Digital Freeview receiver. So you can plug in an aerial and sit down and watch television straight away.

The PW6 (and its replacement, the PW7) is a panel (like a computer monitor). You have to buy plug in cards to get the inputs you require (SCART, component, S-Video etc). It does not have any TV tuners (analogue or digital). So if you just plug it in without any other devices you won't be able to watch anything.

Picture quality for the two is very similar as they use the same plasama panel.

I'm going for a PW7 so it will be neat on the wall. I will go for a single SCART board (which usually comes 'free').

My inputs will be

Panasonic E50 DVDR (SCART RGB)
    Sky+ (SCART RGB)
    Freeview Box (SCART RGB)

I will feed these three into a SCART switch and then onto the panel.

I may invest in an RGB to VGA convertor and just use the VGA input on the panel, but I will still keep the SCART board in case I ever need to plug a non-RGB signal in - (Video Camera, Children's Dance Mat etc).

Cheers,

Nigel

10. DeanE

DeanE
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,554
    Thanks very much for your help Joe / Nigel, your information is very helpful.

I think I'm on the right track now :)

Regards,
    Dean.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I dont remember being online at 02.27 last night........OOOPS :blush: Perhaps thats why when i woke up my Wifi card was bent and laptop was in bed with me......... :suicide:
    Oh boy did i feel rough this morning!!!!!!!!!
    Dean looks like your getting there.....nheather great plan i assume you know about the Pio 402 AV amp (HAS scart video switching) if you are after a basic AV amp and 5.1 can be added to price of panel for £500 or less compltet.

12. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon, would you know a suitable av amp that does component switching (at least two inputs)? Something like the Pioneer equivalent?

Thanks

Alex

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    pio 714 does component mate and is not really much more..... has 2 component and 4 S-video inputs... Most higher spec AV amps have Component inputs higher Spec one Denon 2805 UP will convert composite and S-video to component.

14. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks hornydragon for your quick reply. I'm considering either to get either the Yamaha 750 or the Onkyo 602, or the pioneer 714. I only have two component devices, xbox and the dvd player, but I don't have any other inputs that need upconversion. Freeview is going into the pwd6 via js scart to vga converter.

I'm not that into 5.1 at the moment due to the layout of my current living room, so perhaps the pio 714 might be sufficient for my needs. So does the pio 714 has 2 component input and one component output?

Also, what does "switching" mean exactly? *dumb*

Thanks

Alex

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Switching...... when you select DVD on AMP the amp will switch its component output to the relevant input and hence diaplay DVD on TV....... see www.dolby.com for speaker placement advice...... (no point buying an AV amp unelss you plug speakers into it........ But you can Run the AMPS in stereo mode with just 2 speakers..... but with lots of small lifestyle speakers around 5.1 will go in any lounge.......

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And BTW the EX is a euro grey import, the B is a UK panasonic product.

17. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon,

thanks again for your explaination.

I (the wife) would hate to have speaker wires running across the rooms. Hiding them under the carpet is not really an option. I was actually thinking of getting a good stereo pair fronts and centre speakers and some wireless rear speakers if they exist for a good price. Would you happen to know any? Might not be a worthwhile option.

Alex

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not at the moment..but give it some time....