1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this good choice for 1st time into av at £3000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Daddy k, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    hi all this is my first thread and iv worked hard the past 2 months and am now bout to treat myself to my first taste of av equipment.
    had few looks had a word and demo with a kind man in frank harvey hifi excelence and have been recomended harmon kardon AVR230 7.1 av receiver with the bose am6 series 3 (in white so i can hide em easier) and i want to put this up to a samsung dvd s225 (allready own) tempted to upgrade to harmon kardon dvd22 the month after. and i want all this to be linked up to an lg mz42p244 which i can get £2000 inc tuner tabletop stand.
    the total price will be a tad over £3000 the lot is this a good choice for my money or can anyone recomend any better components for the same sorta money? all and any help will be gtreat thanks guys

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Is music a priority with you or is it going to be mostly films/tv? Is it only satalite speakers that you are after? Do they have to be white or can they be silver?
    :devil:

3. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    well dont have to be white to be honest lol. well with the bose i will be getting the sub aswell. to be honest its mostly tv movies etc it will be used very lil for music but the usual mtv etc. the musics running off another system for now at the other end of room may link it all up in future.the property its all going into is converted warehouse appartment ie lots of echo and high ceilings, all open planned if this has any effects on dynamics

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    To be honest, you can do better for £3k.

Bose certainly wouldn't be on my list, and I'd put Denon and Yamaha amps ahead of that HK one.

5. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    what would you say ideal would be then? i went for the bose as they sounded good and they were a great size i want them very small u see.
    as for av receiver what model would be the best for the £500 mark

6. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Well a combination of KEF's KHT2005.2 (Eggs) and Yamaha's DSP-AX750SE wouldn't be too shabby....and that amp can be had for around £400 online.

The new Mordaunt-Short Genie package is looking interesting, and you could also consider B&W's VM1's.

Other amps are Denon's 1804 (or 2805 if you can stretch) and Yamaha's RX-V1400 (which I have and is a superb product, but then I would say that...)

Or you could buy my rather excellent, now redundant, Marantz SR-7200 for just £250!!!

;)

7. RoughRider

RoughRider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I haven't heard it but the Yamaha DSP AX750SE has a list price of £500. I would certainly recommend a listen as it appears to be good value with lots of features - it apparently has 7 x 100W output, video up and down conversion = 1 lead into the plasma. I have a much older Yamaha (DSP AX1) which is 110W / channel that I am very happy with. Can't really comment on surround speaker sets although I think my GF's Mordaunt Short's for about £120 from Richer Sounds make good surround speakers for the money. Have fun :)

8. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    thanks a lot guys im off to look at all those uv recomended now. in the mean time rough rider what does "video up and down conversion = 1 lead into the plasma" mean sorry im new and just know i want it all but dont know it all lol.
    plasma will be wall mounted but will have to rely on trunking for cabling and want as little as poss so that caught my eye ;)

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
  10. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    B.O.S.E = by other sound equipment

with that much money you could by a dvd player, av amp, stereo amp, 7 speakers and sub, cables and a projector!

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well up conversion means that you can plug say a composite VCR and S-Video STB etc into the receiver and only pplug a component lead from it to the plasma and it will convert the video signals to component - so only the 1 cable (well 3 really as component is 3 cables) to the plasma.
    I'm not sure if any of the AV receivers do down conversion, but it's just the same as up conversion but going from say component and outputting an S-Video or composite signal.

Mark.

12. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Can't help you with the plasma, but I can offer an alternative the BOSE. Take a good look at Monitor Audio's Radius system, and the new Castle Compact home cinema package.

Both are compact, well engineered & designed and should outperform the BOSE for a lot less dosh.

As for dvd's, I highly recommend either the:

Pioneer 575 or 757 (depending on your budget)
    Denon 2600 or 2900 (Haven't used this kit, but it has a good reputation).

DT

13. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    u guys have been great ;) im looking into the last load of recomended now. whatever i get ill post pics once its done,the castles look nice but for that price i can get the bose (will do for now its more of the benefits of the size of the satalites than anything to be honest guys) and the harmon kardon av receiver (heck it does look good hey) it sounds good on the setup in the shop but the next model up with infiniti speakers sounded better but dont dont wan go over budget this month, iv saved 2 months commision i deserve my treats now!
    my next plan will be to add nice cd power amp etc for pure music side of things.
    any help or advice is much appreciated! i want it to sound like ive put the money into it and i allso want it to look smooth/plain (im asking so much for so little)
    ps i origionally only wanted plazma now look where its got me! gotto look into racking aswell now lol
    better than a drug habbit hey

14. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The drug habit would have been cheaper :devil:

15. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    true but my friends n family would disown me now theyl envy me ;)