Is this going to be a bargain?

HeavenlyWarrior

Native resolution is 800x600 so will not be true hi def. Not even 720p. Good for what it is I guess if you're ok with that, but not tailored for home theatre use.

nicksellick

Standard Member
Thanks for that. I have a £400.00 budget and need a projector for watching films. Must have an HDMI input. Any suggestions?
Cheers
Nick

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

nicksellick

Standard Member
Yes, I think you are right.
How much difference does is there between the two options? In winter the room can be as dark as a very dark thing in a pod. In summer not quite so dark, not because of the curtains, but because it is separated from another room by an archway.

HeavenlyWarrior

I dont think that will be a problem, I have to Optoma HD65 which is the same thing, just a little brighter and it shows perfectly fine in daylight with the curtain open. Projectors are usually used in the evenings anyway.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Well if you are happy that the room will be dark get the none LV version as the brighter output will be too bright in a fully darkened room and will strain your eyes to watch it.

The LV version is best when using in daylight hours with say the curtains closed and there is still light coming into the room.

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
Hi,
Does anyone have any experience of this?
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

The spec seems reasonable and the feedback is good.
I would be grateful for any opinions.
Cheers
Nick
That seller needs reporting for that blatant misrepresentation. In the description he blatantly quotes 1920 x 1080 in the maximum resolution and it wouldn't surprise me if those pics are fake.
I remember now why I hate ebay(does anybody else think the prices are way up these days?) plus its paypal con too!!:thumbsdow rant over lol.

TheDeenEtta

Banned
Does it have to be new?

For £400 you could pick up a much better (albeit used) 720p projector, and maybe even an entry level 1080p projector (I recently sold my Epson TW2000) for only £530.

Check out the classifieds here...there is some decent stuff about.

gingercat

That seller needs reporting for that blatant misrepresentation. In the description he blatantly quotes 1920 x 1080 in the maximum resolution and it wouldn't surprise me if those pics are fake.
I remember now why I hate ebay(does anybody else think the prices are way up these days?) plus its paypal con too!!:thumbsdow rant over lol.
To be fair it does state the native resolution, and it probably does support 1920x1080 input, but will obviously downscale.

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
To be fair it does state the native resolution, and it probably does support 1920x1080 input, but will obviously downscale.
Yes it does state at a later point that the native resolution as 800x600 in the blurb, but it still does not detract from the fact that in the main ebay description it says "max resolution" 1920 x 1080" and there is a big difference between accepting a 1080 input and what the PJ actually shows.:thumbsup:

YamahaClavinova

Novice Member
A different seller who was flogging a similar poor quality projector, has it listed as 'HD Ready' with the official HD Ready logo plastered all over the listing. The native res was not HD ready. I downloaded the official info from the European body (I forget who it is now) who devise and set these standards and according to the said standards, the projector clearly was not HD ready and the official logo should not have been used.

I messaged the seller explaining this, sent him a link to the appropriate information. He told me to go away. I then suggested I would message his previous customers explaining that if they actually believed their purchase was HD Ready, it is in fact, not. He threatened to sue me!

So I messaged ebay and the aforementioned people who define what HD ready is, and...nothing.

So it would appear sellers can get away with making whatever statements they like about their projectors, even to the point of lying!

At least this forum is here to steer people in the right direction

nicksellick

Standard Member
Thanks for all your help and advice guys. Nearly decided to get the Optoma, but at the last minute managed to fix my very basic existing projector. Quite annoying, but it'll die eventually.
I would be happy with second hand, but the bulb life is difficult to be sure about, no guarantee, etc.
I'm keen on the led projectors, so hopefully they will come down in price and go up in quality before my PJ passes away.
Thanks again.
Nick
By the way. I have an Epson emp 755 which I aquired!, is it worth anything?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom