• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is this fraud?

wonderloaf

Hi all, got a situation I would like some advice or comment on, here goes:

A few weeks ago my wife opened a letter to find a car purchase agreement between the previous owner of our house and a large loan company. Basically it looks as though he has declared that he still lives in our property to get the loan. We know for a fact he currently lives in rented accomodation and the company concerned do not give loans to tenants as it states it in the contract.

My wife has phoned the company concerned and at the moment they say they are 'conducting an investigation' although I guess they won't conduct it too efficiently as at the moment they have money coming in, if they find the contract is void they lose that income. A bit of a lose-lose situation for them really.

We are very worried about this is as we have in the past received final demands addressed to this person, so it sounds as though he doesn't mind defaulting on his payments. I understand that credit history and scoring is connected to the persons address, not to the person themself so this guy could be giving us a bad name credit wise.

My questions are:
1) Is this illegal ie fraud?
2) Can we find any way if we have previous loans from this person connected to our address since he moved? ie will an Expirian report show this?
3) What's our best next move?

Hope there's somebody out there can shed some light on this as usual route (Citizens Advice Bureau) isn't working out, I can never get through to them on the phone!

Cheers, wonderloaf

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Crikey!

This certainly is illegal. It looks like the previous owner has taken out a loan claiming he still lives at your house. Therefore if he disappears, they will come to your house to get the money.

Also, when I did a credit check on myself I'm pretty sure it is the person, not the address, as the report didn't show any history for other people living at the house. We've had address mistakes in our house and even bailiffs turned up, but once we proved who we were and that this person had never lived there they were quite happy.

Your next move is to contact the loan company and ask for immediate notice in writing that you are not liable for the loan and to get your address removed from their loan records. A few weeks is a long time to go by with this sort of thing hanging about.

wonderloaf

@ Decadence: good idea, I'll give it a go.

@Greg: we've also had bailiffs turn up (not for us mind) and as you say when you prove who you are they they just leave. We're more worried about our credit history. Good idea about contacting the loan company, we'll be writing a letter ASAP!

Thanks for your input, very useful.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer

@Greg: we've also had bailiffs turn up (not for us mind) and as you say when you prove who you are they they just leave. We're more worried about our credit history. Good idea about contacting the loan company, we'll be writing a letter ASAP!

For a quick answer you could just phone up someone like Experian and they should be able to answer your question hopefully.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Hi all, got a situation I would like some advice or comment on, here goes:

A few weeks ago my wife opened a letter to find a car purchase agreement between the previous owner of our house and a large loan company.

I aqssume the letter was addressed to the previous occupier? IF so why did you simply not return it to the sender marked as appropriate? Isn't it illegal to open post not addressed to you?

When we moved we had loads of post for previous occupiers (even tho it had been empty for 6 months minimum, just sent it all back to sender and slowly it has stopped.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/customerservice2?catId=69800730&mediaId=70300739

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member

Why should you have to prove who you are in your own home when a bailiff comes over? :suicide:

I would flatly refuse and then call the police if they tried to gain entry.

Fizzoid

I aqssume the letter was addressed to the previous occupier? IF so why did you simply not return it to the sender marked as appropriate? Isn't it illegal to open post not addressed to you?
My thoughts exactly. I'm also pretty sure it's illegal to open mail that's not addressed to you. Not sure anything will come of it, but by reporting him you've effectively admitted to commiting an illegal act yourself.

wonderloaf

When you see a letter lying on your doormat (face down) whats the first thing you do? You open it up, assuming it's for you seeing as you've lived in the house for the last 2 years. As it is we also happen to have a car loan so when my wife saw the letter head and realised it was from a car loan company she thought it was addressed to us. All very innocent and I'm glad that it happened as it's highlighted what's happening. Guess we'll just have to 'take the rap' if anything comes of it.

Of course none of this answers my original questions.

We've also had bailiffs turn up before at a previous address and when we've explained and proved they've got the wrong person they've been very apologetic and left quietly, so no need for the police so far!

Think I'll be giving Experian a call and sending a letter to the company as suggested.

wonderloaf

Hi Ian, thanks for the input this may well be what I was looking for, it seems that the Equifax will show up any credit searches on our existing address.

D

Deleted member 27989

No, no, no....It has been illegal for several year to link credit history to an address...It used to be, as I discovered living in a house in 1996 where the previous occupier was convicted for financial fraud....But I think they removed all those links from the records in 2002, it is purely on the person AND address, not just address with a different person....

paul1967

Ring the finance company up telling them he does not live there,then tell them were he lives,give them as much info as you can also tape the call asking for the persons name and if you can tell a team leader or manager,we still have people chasing a tenant 4yrs after he left for barkley card.

Simian Sibling

Distinguished Member
Why should you have to prove who you are in your own home when a bailiff comes over? :suicide:

I would flatly refuse and then call the police if they tried to gain entry.

slightly of topic I know but.....

How any times do you think this gets told to them - not me mate but I can't prove it - it makes sence to prove who you are, if you have nothing to hide why worry?

Steve.J.Davies

nothing to hide - apart from your privacy !

the "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" mantra is a completely (and utterly) false dichotomy.

Simian Sibling

Distinguished Member
nothing to hide - apart from your privacy !

the "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" mantra is a completely (and utterly) false dichotomy.

If you say so. Just my opinion ;)

stu.artd

Ring the finance company up telling them he does not live there,then tell them were he lives,give them as much info as you can also tape the call asking for the persons name and if you can tell a team leader or manager,we still have people chasing a tenant 4yrs after he left for barkley card.

Just make sure you tell the person on the other end of the call that it's being recorded :), although I'll be surprised if all the finance co's calls aren't recorded automatically anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom