Is this fellow the most naturally talented English born midfield player?

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love to watch him but unfortunately Southgate seems to prefer other more ordinary players .Maybe Hughes is what at one time would have been labelled a "luxury player" not known for hard graft but blessed with exquisite skills

Well I imagine he would have to be an improvement on Jordan Henderson, who I would place in the Carlton Palmer / Geoff Thomas class.

There's a reason he is at Derby and not a PL club and Derby are hardly setting the championship on fire

There's a reason he is at Derby and not a PL club and Derby are hardly setting the championship on fire
He's not at derby anymore and is at a premier league team now. Agreed he's not setting any league on fire though.

No. No he isn’t.

That video is quite embarrassing. Who made it, his Mum? "Look at all the things little Willy can nearly do..."

I reckon he could walk into the Barcelona team The way he controls the ball short long passes deft little one tows drag backs, he is potentially as good as Iniesta

I reckon he could walk into the Barcelona team The way he controls the ball short long passes deft little one tows drag backs, he is potentially as good as Iniesta
Definitely could walk into the Barcelona team. But not Watford's.

Wow... I have been accused of clueless posts,but this is on whole a new level, not serious are you...if so we can rest easy knowing Coutinho won't be targeted again !

Of course he isn't serious.

And our midfield is already awash with natural talent.

page.jpg

He'd walk into barca's team......and then turn around and walk straight back out again

Still can’t work out if this is a serious thread.

Is the thread title a trick question? Is the answer ‘yes’?

Considering some of the world class midfielders England have had, it’s disappointing that there isn’t one close to that level this generation.

I see Hughes as the most naturally talented midfield player within his age group(21-23) but I believe he should consider moving to a club abroad where he can further his football education because there is the danger that in this country he will have that talent coached out of him on the grounds of taking "unnecessary" risks with the ball/Playing within a Barcelona type system would allow him to flourish and use those talents to the maximum.After maybe 4-5 years he could return to England and set the right standards

Sorry, but he cannot hold a candle to this colossus:

I see Hughes as the most naturally talented midfield player within his age group(21-23) but I believe he should consider moving to a club abroad where he can further his football education because there is the danger that in this country he will have that talent coached out of him on the grounds of taking "unnecessary" risks with the ball/Playing within a Barcelona type system would allow him to flourish and use those talents to the maximum.After maybe 4-5 years he could return to England and set the right standards
Much better midfielders in his age group: Onomah? Maitland-Niles? Loftus-Cheek? Lewis Cook?

Hughes hasn't kicked on from his early Derby days, and certainly is nowhere near being a premier league regular, let alone able to play at Barcelona level.

The answer to this was, is and always shall be ..... no.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom