1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this feasible ??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dragon1, Oct 27, 2002.

1. dragon1

dragon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a cunning plan !!

What I would like to do is run a Fujitsu PDS 5002 ( 50" Plasma), Panasonic DVD565 and a Sky + box from my PC
    In the PC I have a Geforce Ti4006 graphics card and a creative audigy sound card, the PC has an xp2200 with 1 gig of ram.

Has anybody any experience of this type of setup ?

What is the best way of connecting up everything ?, the cable run will be about 25 feet.

And finally can anybody recommend some good 5.1 speakers for a room approx 15 foot square ( from the Audigy card)

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Not sure what you are after. Do you want to use the PC to scale and deinterlace your sources then feed the plasma? If so yes its possible using a variety of methods (Dscaler and or H3D spring to mind depending on your pocket).

You machine should be up to the job but the ATI radeon cards tend to do a better job for this particular task ( you don't need a top end model though).

3. dragon1

dragon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks for the reply, and this is the first time I have used this forum so I am learning vertically

First i misprinted the graphics card, it should have read Ti4600 !

My aim is to use my computer as the interface from my two sources ( Sky and DVD) to the Plasma to provide a "home theater" with 5.1 surround sound.

I did look at dedicated Hi Fi units ( Denon AVCA11SR, £1800 ) but just felt this was a very expensive way of going about it, for the same amount of money I could probably build a PC that would not only drive the HC but also double as server and ADSL router to other PC's in the house using Wi Fi.

I have to be honest I am not fully up to spec with the technology and admit to not being sure exactly what it is I need.

For example is there a way I can take the scart output from the Sky box, convert it so it will connect to the video card then use the DVI connector to go to the Plasma ?

................... I just wish I knew alot more than I do.................

4. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You'll still need an amp matey :)

5. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or get active speakers ;)

Steve

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    yep but you probably want to take the RGB output from the scart and turn it into s-video then use Dscaler and a capture card to feed the display: ( DVI is fine as long as you get a graphics card that has DVI on it).

You could also buy the H3D card and an RGB to component convertor for better pic quality but the price will go up a fair old bit and its arguable whether a digibox warrants the improvement. ( you might be able to stick and SDI mod into your digibox but now we getting into nearly blue sky land)

You can of course put other sources through this pipeline (games consoles for example/ VHS (SVHS in my case) Tivo etc. Basically you are using the PC to deinterlace and scale the material: the big advantage going the HTPC route is you can use custom resolutions and timings to get accurate 1:1 pixel mappings for the display ( best quality normally) : you'll also get a decent gamma control depending on which card you buy and pretty sophisticated deinterlacing quality for the price.

DVD wise the best solution is usually to play the dvd from a drive in the PC itself using a decent software player rather than have an off board player ( again SDI is also a possibilty here if you do a search you'll find plenty of info) personally use Theatertek for dvd playback.

Sound wise you have a number of choices. I'd suggest running a seperate amp and plugging any stand alone sources directly into it. For dvd I use an spdif connection straight from the PC into the amp/decoder.

You'll find plenty of info on this forum.