1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this fake?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by NinjaKi11a, Feb 8, 2005.

1. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought three DVDs over eBay and received fakes so promised myself I wouldn't buy anymore. Anyway, on Monday I bought another... stupid eh. Unsurprisingly I've got doubts about it too. It's a Region 1 version of Wild Wild West. The case is the cardboard variety so I'm pretty sure it is kosher, however the disk is gold underneath which makes me suspicious. Are all legit DVDs silver underneath and are all copies gold/green?

The other thing that is odd is that the CD, which is printed, has 'WIDESCREEN 17175 REGION 1 106 MINS. US PG-13 CANADA PG/DP NO COPYING. SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAWS.' Yet there is no French anywhere on the case or CD.

The second query isn't such an issue, but is it possible to tell whether or not I have a copy based on the colour of the... er... base? Thanks. :)

2. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    i doubt its a fake. you cannot tell just becuase of the colour of the underneath and even thought its canada some studios dont put french on thier covers some do

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A gold DVD `is a dual layer disc. Don't worry about it - seems pretty legit to me...

4. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If I recall correctly, the dual language covers only apply to films released after 2002, so WWW, doesn't qualify. Crap film though. :devil:

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    some early DVD's were gold underneath (quite a dark gold) i've got a copy of Gattaca that is that colour. i bought it just after my first DVD player in the months of DVD's launch in the UK.

sounds cool to me, except maybe the fact that you bought Wild Wild West :laugh:

Gary

6. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oi don't knock my taste in movies!

Mind you, I guess you do have a point. ;)

Yeah I figure this one is kosher. It's just I'm so supsicious now of eBay - this really is the last time I buy DVDs that aren't brand new!

Cheers for the help guys.

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey mate...WWW may not be Wil Smiths finest...but check Selma Hayek in the extra's... :devil:

8. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah she's fine eh, especially in Desperado!

I know I'm digging myself deeper here but I bought WWW on the back of the western theme in Shanghai Noon - which is incidentally my favourite film.

BTW there's no abuse that you can give me about the above statement that my mates haven't already said. In fact one of them introduces me as: 'Here's Pete, his favourite film is Shanghai Noon...' :D

9. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Glad to see you have sane friends :laugh: :D

Gary