Is this enough clearance xbox series x?

HappyGilmore007

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if I have enough ventilation here? Around 4-5 inches either side 5-6 inches at back. Good inch at the top. Fan is on the right side. The back has a circle hole in where the wires go.l which adds to ventilation

If your not bothered about placing it central, I would maybe have a slightly less gap on the left so there is more room for the heat to escape on the right. Alternatively if your worried, you could use some curved, clear perspex, to push the air outwards.

Mine is a similar setup but I have moved it more to the left to give the heat more room to escape on the right. I’ve also taken a Stanley knife to the back of my unit to make the opening a bit bigger.

Id be more worried about the Denon tbf! You’ve practically covered the entire vent and my last Denon didn’t have any fans and got red hot (to the point I added some!) 😂

Mine is a similar setup but I have moved it more to the left to give the heat more room to escape on the right. I’ve also taken a Stanley knife to the back of my unit to make the opening a bit bigger.
Is yours red hot to touch? I have moved it out now so it is vertical behind the tv see if it runs any cooler.

But the articles I have been reading seem to suggest it runs very very hot and can be uncomfortable to touch but will see what happens now.

Id be more worried about the Denon tbf! You’ve practically covered the entire vent and my last Denon didn’t have any fans and got red hot (to the point I added some!) 😂
Was going to say the same! That AV receiver definitely needs more space above it...

It has an inch clearance as it is hollow above it just the very first few cm which make it look like it is all covered. I might invest in a small back fan though

Did yours auto shutdown or anything if it got too hot?

It has an inch clearance as it is hollow above it just the very first few cm which make it look like it is all covered. I might invest in a small back fan though

Did yours auto shutdown or anything if it got too hot?
No, just smelt of toasty electricals 😂

I stuck a couple of 120mm fans on the vent.

If you hadn’t just plonked another smouldering slab of hot gadgetry goodness on top of the Denon, I’d have been tempted to drill a few 8mm ish holes thru the shelf (but that’s just me)!

No, just smelt of toasty electricals 😂

I stuck a couple of 120mm fans on the vent.

If you hadn’t just plonked another smouldering slab of hot gadgetry goodness on top of the Denon, I’d have been tempted to drill a few 8mm ish holes thru the shelf (but that’s just me)!

What have you plugged those fans into? I have moved the xbox out into the open now not sure if it was getting far too hot or was normal temp for such a beast of a machine

Will I have caused any damage by it getting very hot on that shelf or will it have protected itself long before any electrical damage happens by shutting down etc? Since I have put it behind the tv in a big open space it is no where near that hot to touch

What have you plugged those fans into? I have moved the xbox out into the open now not sure if it was getting far too hot or was normal temp for such a beast of a machine

I just wired them up to USB headers, and ran them from a USB source.

something like this How to Convert a Case Fan to USB

Will I have caused any damage by it getting very hot on that shelf or will it have protected itself long before any electrical damage happens by shutting down etc? Since I have put it behind the tv in a big open space it is no where near that hot to touch

Id doubt you’ve caused any damage. By moving it, you’ll have prolonged its life - potentially.

Hi, I posted this in the Xbox review thread but I’ve turned my series X by 90 degrees and have the exhaust facing out into the open because I was worrying about it getting hot. Since doing that it feels much cooler

Attachments

• 86D95E23-5823-424B-9D4A-7EF3777CB89E.jpeg
    86D95E23-5823-424B-9D4A-7EF3777CB89E.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 344
Hi, I posted this in the Xbox review thread but I’ve turned my series X by 90 degrees and have the exhaust facing out into the open because I was worrying about it getting hot. Since doing that it feels much cooler

Was yours extremely red hot to the touch when you had it horizontal? The heat the fan was blowing out last night felt like when you open an oven!

Thanks for idea makes sense to do it 90 degrees cold air from the back then ejected through the front.

Think the problem with 180 is the hot air is getting pushed back round into the cabinet as it hits the side wall

Trying to understand here why people who are compromised for space in their existing TV stands don't just stand their Series X upright at one side of their TV stand. For me it complements my subwoofer which is on the other side.

I have sufficient space in my TV stand to install my Series X horizontally comfortably but as heat always rises I went with the Vertical option as the best option.

Trying to understand here why people who are compromised for space in their existing TV stands don't just stand their Series X upright at one side of their TV stand. For me it complements my subwoofer which is on the other side.

I have sufficient space in my TV stand to install my Series X horizontally comfortably but as heat always rises I went with the Vertical option as the best option.
Maybe because there is no space to do that. Like for me.

I have mine sat horizontally with a similar amount of space either side, tbh i'm not terribly concerned about the heat it kicks out and i've had it on for pretty much the whole day on a few occasions. Also the video reviews i had watched prior to the release all seemed to suggest prolonged gaming sessions would have the console sat at about 80-90 degrees anyway.

I have mine sat horizontally with a similar amount of space either side, tbh i'm not terribly concerned about the heat it kicks out and i've had it on for pretty much the whole day on a few occasions. Also the video reviews i had watched prior to the release all seemed to suggest prolonged gaming sessions would have the console sat at about 80-90 degrees anyway.

This makes me feel a lot less worried if it is normal for it to get to those scorching temperatures. I guess Microsoft will have done a lot of testing with it horizontal with a few inches clear in TV cabinets as a lot of people will be doing this

Was yours extremely red hot to the touch when you had it horizontal? The heat the fan was blowing out last night felt like when you open an oven!

Thanks for idea makes sense to do it 90 degrees cold air from the back then ejected through the front.

Think the problem with 180 is the hot air is getting pushed back round into the cabinet as it hits the side wall
I wouldn’t say it was red hot but it was hot enough to be concerning and that was after 1 hour use.

Because I have a 1 year old who would have great fun knocking it over every day if I left it on the floor 😂

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom