Is this downalod speed ok for 24mb broadband ?

jamieuk23

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi I have recently been connected to be there broadband and paying for 24mb. Been connected to them for about a week.

any way the fastest downalod speed I have see on my torrent downloads = 1.9mb

I am a little confused as I have 24mb broadband does that mean I should be downloading at around 22-24mb per second ??

any info is aprecaited ! :thumbsup:

I think donwloading can only be as fast as the connection of the person you are downloading from. It might be the case that you are have been downloading from people with a much slower connection than you. Just a thought.

no - you're confusing the stats.

What speed are you sync'd with the exchange? The further form the exchange you are the further away from 24mb you will receive. Your 1.9mb indicates to me you are syncd at around 18000kbps.

Remember its upto 24mb. All DSL products are "upto" because speed is determined by line length and line noise.

The speed quoted by your ISP will be in bits per second, not bytes. If the 1.9mb you are quoting is in bytes, then that is pretty good although not up so full spec which will unlikely be the case as drummerjohn mentioned.

Oh yes and post on the Be forum - they are great. Post you stats as well. Without stats we cant tell you diddly.

And 1.9mb is quite reasonable. I am getting 600kbs download which is a third of what you are getting - I am on the same product.

it's alot better than what I am getting. I am getting between 8-10mbps. just need to move the exchange closer to my house lol

All depends on what you mean.

If you mean your bittorrent client is reporting transfer speed of 1.9 Mega Bytes per second (MBps or MB/s) then this equates to a throughput line speed of 15.2 Mega bits per second (Mbps or Mb/s) which is pretty good.

If however you mean your bittorrent client is reporting a transfer speed of 1.9 Mega bits per second then this equates to the throughput you would expect from a 2Mb line. Its always capital B for bytes & little b for bits.

To be honest though so many variables can affect torrent speeds, that they are never a good gauge of line speed.

However you can get a good idea by selecting a well seeded torrent. I tend to use THIS one.

To test http download speeds I tend to use one of the 100MB Zen test files that can be found HERE (much more realistic than any of the speed tests that are available).

Just signed up with be - activated today.

Went up from 7mb (AOL) to 16mb.

I'm expecting better when the be modem arrives - had to rig my Netgear router so I could get access today as the be router hasn't yet arrived.

Great though!

I'm expecting better when the be modem arrives - had to rig my Netgear router so I could get access today as the be router hasn't yet arrived.

Great though!

The Be router tends to sync slightly lower than the Netgear DG834GT if thats what you have.

Torrent speeds are totally irrelevant to the speed of your internet (to a point).

yea im on sky broadband 16 mb package
i get 13mb i reckon and get a max of 1.5MBps
which i think it awesome

Great though!

Be activated a "Fastlane" or something today for me at my exchange. Now up to 19MB!!!!

There's a couple of things to remember about bittorrent - speed is almost entirely dependent on the 'health' of the network of seeders/leechers. You can only download as fast as they can upload.
These factors will make for a quicker torrent: 1) high ratio of seeders to leechers and 2) high upload capacity of seeders.

Also, if you are uploading, be careful not to throttle your bandwidth, apparently using 80% of available upload speed while dowloading is pretty much optimal. Any more and you risk slowing your connection.

Cheers, Callum

it looks about right I get 500Kbps on my Virgin Cable 4Mb service Adsl is a bit hit and miss depending on distance from exchange you will never hit 24Mbps as its a mathematical impossibility

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom