Is this dead pixels? 32" Dell lcd - tv

badbob

Banned
No a pixel is tiny, the size of a pin head. What you have is uneven backlight, a splodge of darker lit in the top left.

badbob

Banned
Not sure if it's covered by warranty, I guess it just depends in the engineer/LG class that as a fault. Is it brand new? There are no settings to fix it, it's a physical problem. I believe this occurs when the screen isn't exactly flat against the backlight.

intox_neb

Standard Member
Not sure if it's covered by warranty, I guess it just depends in the engineer/LG class that as a fault. Is it brand new? There are no settings to fix it, it's a physical problem. I believe this occurs when the screen isn't exactly flat against the backlight.
The TV is 1.5 yrs old, so guess this would be something I could get on my warranty, or at least repaired without charge.

Btw, just learned LCD don't have backlight

Says so here: http://nz.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080429225052AAkblBO

mk-donald

Novice Member
Doesn't look good on your photos.

The 26" Dell TV my folks bought - from Dell - only had a 1yr warranty with it. You sure you got a longer one ?

That said you shouldn't necessarily have to rely on a warranty, you have rights against the RETAILER (eg Dell Direct ?) - unless of course you bought it through their small business, ie non-consumer website.

You are right that LCD panels do not INHERENTLY have a backlight - eg you'll find a few basic LCD clocks/wall-thermostat panels etc just rely on refected light to give you some (monochrome) constrast between the dark/light areas of the LCD display, BUT an LCD in a TV has a backlight - that's why you can see it, and see colours on it and make out the miniature pixels.

From your photos it looks like a backlighting issue and whether it's outside the manufacturing spec would depend I'd have thought on how its affecting the picture when you're seeing a picture (staring at a white background is not a totally valid test, though obviously you did it to SHOW the effect that you presumably DID notice while watching TV).

Alternatively you sure someone hasn't "aggressively" cleaned/pushed against that corner of the panel and hence varied the distance between the different substrates of the panel, and hence affected the backlight transmission into that uneven effect ?

Reports show that some LCD TVs can benefit from being totally unplugged from the mains for a period of time (hours, days) as that may give the liquid crystals a chance to realign without any current and/or cause some resetting of the panel on power up.