• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is this Canon 17-40 a (Russian) grey import or genuine UK lens ?

jradley

Hi,

I bought a Canon 17-40 from Amazon, with the intent on claiming the cashback in the current cashback deal from Canon. The T&C's specify the lens must be genuine UK stock.

I had not realised when I placed the order that it was a 3rd party seller and the order is "fulfilled by Amazon", which is not covered by the Cashback deal. I was aware Market Place sellers are excluded from the cashback deal but did not realise there was a distinction with "sold by xxx, fulfilled by Amazon". This means I can't claim the cashback on this lens :(

Anyhow, the lens was described as "UK stock, covered by Canon UK Warranty". I have my doubts that it is a UK lens. The label on the box looks odd, the leaflet in the box is in Russian and teh lens is labelled with an "EAC" sticker, which I think may be to do with products exported to Russia (see attachments)

Has anyone else bought from a bone fide UK seller and had a lens packaged and labelled the same as this, or am I right to be suspicious ?

If it is not a UK lens I will use that as the reasoniong to return it and will then orer a genuine UK lens from somewhere else and then claim the cashback.

Cheers,

John

IMG_2886-sm.jpg
IMG_2884-sm.jpg
IMG_2883-sm.jpg

tonkie

I bought the same lens last year through the same promotion and I've just checked my lens and its not got the EAC on it, I would just return it and like you said order via Amazon without the 3rd party

snerkler

Distinguished Member
You don't need a reason to return it to amazon, so just return it if you're unsure, especially considering you could buy it elsewhere and get cash back.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Out of interest what is the general 'purpose' of this lens, seems a bit strange only being f4, I'm assuming it's a Landscape lens?

shotokan101

Banned
"Boom Boom Basil!" - nice one Tonks :D

cinemapoint

Banned
its a great landscape lens plus you could do some creative portrait work with it. Its sharp around f8, and for landscapes you are going to use it at f8 anyway...so its a great lens.

shotokan101

Banned
Though needing F8 for sharpness would somewhat negate it's use as a portrait lens IMO... ?

cinemapoint

Banned
For creative portrait work where u would want everything in focus with a little distortion around the edges, like having mountains in the backgrounds and stuff. But mainly this is for landscape and for real estate property photos too.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom