is this any good? will it work?

Abit AN-M2HD, NF630a, S AM2, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 800, SATA II, SATA RAID, uATX, HDMI, HDCP £51.69

AMD AM2 Athlon 64 5000+ Black Edition Dual Core, 2.6GHz, 1MB Cache, Retail without Heat sink Fan £83.77

500 GB Samsung HD501LJ Spinpoint T166, SATA II, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ £63.44

4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-18 £70.37

400W Colours IT PSU400MICRO 20+4 Pin, uATX PSU pPFC Silent £19.96

Aplus Case CS-Blockbuster-BAW (inc Window) Micro ATX with 2x USB, 2x Audio, 1x Firewire (No PSU) £39.94

Hiper AM2 Cooler for HiperMedia Case, Copper Base (Up to Athlon™ 64x2 Dual Core 5000+) £17.57

think i mite go for this from SCAN! just wanted sum peoples opinion thats all on if its any good or not and if it is all compatible??

Abit AN-M2HD, NF630a, S AM2, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 800, SATA II, SATA RAID, uATX, HDMI, HDCP £51.69

AMD AM2 Athlon 64 5000+ Black Edition Dual Core, 2.6GHz, 1MB Cache, Retail without Heat sink Fan £83.77

500 GB Samsung HD501LJ Spinpoint T166, SATA II, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ £63.44

4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-18 £70.37

400W Colours IT PSU400MICRO 20+4 Pin, uATX PSU pPFC Silent £19.96

Aplus Case CS-Blockbuster-BAW (inc Window) Micro ATX with 2x USB, 2x Audio, 1x Firewire (No PSU) £39.94

Hiper AM2 Cooler for HiperMedia Case, Copper Base (Up to Athlon™ 64x2 Dual Core 5000+) £17.57

think i mite go for this from SCAN! just wanted sum peoples opinion thats all on if its any good or not and if it is all compatible??

or would this combo be better?

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600, S775, 2.4 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB Cache, Retail £88.11

Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD ATI, S775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, uATX, VGA £62.03

the thing is i really want an on board graphics card which is pretty good but understand that it wont be the best! i do prefer amd but dont mind either way.....pls help guys as im totally new 2 this!!

:lease:

Hey, just to reply to this, I won't be much help, sorry.

But the samsung hdd is awesome, so you should get that no matter what.
Only other suggestion would be to maybe get a better PSU in terms of power if youre going to be adding further graphics in the future, or want to future proof it further.
Not really sure what youre using the computer for though, so maybe the suggestion is rubbish lol.

Sorry if this is a bit unhelpful, but nobody else replied :/

Oh actually, just read your 2nd motherboard choice, I have that one and can vouch for its goodness, the onboard graphics are relatively good, but fast becomming outdated, IE cant play COD4 with the onboard graphics, but can just about play Unreal Tournament 3 kind of thing. I mostly use my computer for photoshop etc and its more than capable.

I have it running with 2gb crucial ballistix, samsung 500gig spinpoint, and intel 2gig dual core - but on reflection I wish id waited and got 2.4gig. I have the CPU cooled with scythe mini ninja - because the normal ninja was too big for my case, only problem is the fan that comes with the ninja pushes against the ram - it didnt push it massively like to the side of anything, it was a snug fit, but the computer refussed to play untill I took the fan out, but runs at the moment 50degrees C, without any overclocking...im not sure if thats good or not, I think the fan would only bring it down a couple of degrees.

also running with a corsair HX 520w, which i think is around £60. its nice and quiet.

Hope this helps abit more than my useless previous post.

yeah was a help cheers mate......the amd black edition can be overclocked 2 3.2 ghz and is (i have been informed anyway) one of the best CPUs on the market!!!

would really like an onboard graphics card where if needs be i can play at least unreal tornument 3 with no probs?!

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Its hard to give any advise without knowing exactly what you intend to use the system for, will you be wanting to push it any further than unreal tourn?

Also, your budget? What are you looking to pay max?

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Oh actually, just read your 2nd motherboard choice, I have that one and can vouch for its goodness, the onboard graphics are relatively good, but fast becomming outdated, IE cant play COD4 with the onboard graphics, but can just about play Unreal Tournament 3 kind of thing. I mostly use my computer for photoshop etc and its more than capable.

I have it running with 2gb crucial ballistix, samsung 500gig spinpoint, and intel 2gig dual core - but on reflection I wish id waited and got 2.4gig. I have the CPU cooled with scythe mini ninja - because the normal ninja was too big for my case, only problem is the fan that comes with the ninja pushes against the ram - it didnt push it massively like to the side of anything, it was a snug fit, but the computer refussed to play untill I took the fan out, but runs at the moment 50degrees C, without any overclocking...im not sure if thats good or not, I think the fan would only bring it down a couple of degrees.

also running with a corsair HX 520w, which i think is around £60. its nice and quiet.

Hope this helps abit more than my useless previous post.

I have the same board with the E4400 2.0ghz dual core memory, I have overclocked to 2.66ghz on stock voltage. My idle temps are around 38/41 and under stress at a maximum of 53, this is with the stock intel cooler. I would suggest your temps are a little high. Is the temp you quoted taking into consideration the mini ninja?

I have the mini ninja also but when I went to fit it, I opened the case and thought "this will never fit" Have you tried moving the ram further over to see if this gives you the clearance you need?

mjn

Distinguished Member
Buy a decent PSU, and why are you buying a Hiper Media CPU Cooler, when you're not buying a HiperMedia case?

And i'd go for a Core 2 Duo, rather than AMD.

Buy a decent PSU, and why are you buying a Hiper Media CPU Cooler, when you're not buying a HiperMedia case?

And i'd go for a Core 2 Duo, rather than AMD.

think i will stick with the AMD as i have heard sum impressive things abouth that specific one unless an intel motherboard offers better onboard graphics.....and 2 answer the hiper cooler question.....i didnt know lol so thank u 4 letting me know mate....would ave been stuck with that then lol

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600, S775, 2.4 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB Cache, Retail £88.11

250GB Samsung HD250HJ Spinpoint, SATA II, 7200 rpm, 8MB Cache, 8.9 ms, NCQ £40.88

2GB (2x1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-12 £33.08

480W XClio-SCF aPFC Super Silent SLi (21Db) 12cm Fan 8/20/24 ATX2/2.01 12vEPS + SATA+PCI-E Hi-End £41.07

AKASA Zen case - White Silent cool Midi-ATX Computing case w/2 silent 12cm fan w/o PSU £29.30

Akasa AK-965 x3 Copper Heatpipe Cooler Intel Core2Quad/Duo with 92mm side blow fan, Intel push pin £11.74

in your opinion would this be better? only thing now i need is a motherboard with hdmi and onboard graphics....dont mind pushing the boat out on this just want a good motherboard?? any recommendations

or should i just get a graphics card?? not gonna really bother playing games on it just mainly movies and the like....dont need blu ray as i have a PS3 but wouldnt mind playing hd content (if thats possible) and if needs be (boredom) maybe a game or 2

mjn

Distinguished Member

mjn

Distinguished Member
I always use a seperate VGA card. If you're just using it for DVD, HD-DVD, BR, then you can use something like a 2400Pro or 2600Pro or XT.

I have the same board with the E4400 2.0ghz dual core memory, I have overclocked to 2.66ghz on stock voltage. My idle temps are around 38/41 and under stress at a maximum of 53, this is with the stock intel cooler. I would suggest your temps are a little high. Is the temp you quoted taking into consideration the mini ninja?

I have the mini ninja also but when I went to fit it, I opened the case and thought "this will never fit" Have you tried moving the ram further over to see if this gives you the clearance you need?

First of all sorry moogster for taking this off thread again.

I'm getting temps of 48 idle, last night I pushed the cpu to 2.4ghz, and ran stress prime orthos and the temp jumped from 50 straight to 69, then crawled to 72, at which point I stopped the test thing, and it dropped straight back down to 50...the jumps in temps seemed a bit strange as I thought it would lower more gradually but obviously not. I'm going to shift the ram over today into slots 2 + 4, rather than 1+3, and put the fan on, see what happens, the only problem now is I want to add more ram in the next month or so...and looks like i might not be able to, or will have to get 2gig sticks...which i dont really want to do.
My brother is sorting his computer out this week, and has ordered a coolermaster fridge 7 pro or something, so before he puts it in his computer I might see how it would fit in my system, and maybe order one myself. It's just a bit of a pain in the backside at the moment, oh well.

cheers for the help aswell, can't beleive my temps are so high :/

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom