1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this an April Fool article..?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    On the What Video load up page there is a story/review for 24th March titled JVC unveils latest CRT range. Reading the article it states JVC proudly announce their CRT range to take them forward to the 2010 analogue switch off with their range of IDTV's. Is this an April Fools story? why are JVC bothering with an ailing technology that will probably be dead long before 2010?

2. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Might be april fool, but I doubt it.

LG are known to have been working on a range on reduced depth CRT's for a while now. Just about anyone will accept that so far, CRT's are best for picture quality, (on anything below say, 35 inches) the downsides being (primarily) depth and (secondly) weight. The LG's I saw were about half the depth of the conventional sets. A big reduction. CRT's are not dead yet. LCD's and plasma have a LONG way to go to match the quality, reliability and price of conventional CRT's.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I saw some pictures of these 'Reduced Fat' JVC CRT's and they are definately an improvement. They are now about 2/3 the normal depth.....not terribly exciting really.

Bilbob - Sweeping statement of the day! 'CRT's are best for image quality...' With the quality of picture that some of the top end LCD's are producing now, especially with DVD's, this is at best a slighty oversimplified statement and, at worst, wholly incorrect.

CRT's certainly give a very easy to live with picture that does a good all round job, but a well set up LCD is now able to out perform CRT's in many departments, especially considering what lies ahead...

Jimmy

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Yes, that IS a sweeping statement.

They don't produce the best image, for example, in areas of geometry, convergence and stability.

5. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Ok then, let me define it more clearly...

Take a £500 28" crt, and I guarantee you it will outperform a £500 LCD in most tests. Yes, ok, it MAY fall on picture geometry, but I defy anyone to find the overall balance of the set, on different scenes, different picture types to be consistently better on the LCD.

And yes, it was a sweeping statement, I apologise for not defining it better first, but I was making a general statement with regards to general opinion, you know, the sort of stuff used by the majority of regular users out there, not the exacting standards and quality expected by many on these pages.