1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this amp still worth it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cityonfire, Aug 5, 2004.

1. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The amp in question is the Yamaha DSP A2. The reason i ask is i need an RF demodulator for my Pioneer CLD-D925 laserdisc player. Now a demodulator on its own can fetch some pretty high prices on ebay when they turn up. But ive seen mint DSP A2's go for about £200-£250. Plus i would not have a seperate box that way to. I currently own a Yamaha DSP AX620 is it worth changing from a sound point of veiw? Seeing as things do move on. Baring in mind im not bothered about 6.1 Dts ES and Dolby Digital EX. Is it still worth doing?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,641
    From a film perspective, I'd say yes. These were good movie amps if a bit plodding in stereo. Just make sure that your one hasn't lead a hard life.

3. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anything to look out for in particular then? Oh and was there any problems with it detecting the data flag of what ever soundtrack you were using, be it DD or DTS? I know some Denons a couple of years ago had that problem?

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,641
    I don't know about flagging issues but worn equipment is given away by tatty remotes, displays of varying brightness and button legends worn on the commonly used features (standby etc). Yamaha stuff is generally well screwed together so seems to last but it would still be susceptible to the things mentioned above.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    If possible you should check the volume knob as well, if it crackles it could be well used although this is more often a sign of a cheap potentiometer having been used. Also sticky knobs/buttons etc.

6. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah a crackling volume knob is no problem its usually down to a dry joint which i can solve no problem. I have to admit the yamaha gear i have had over the years has been very well built and lasted. Unlike some Denon and Marantz home cinema gear. Very cheap casings in my opinion