Is this amp good for a Wharfedale Diamond 220?

Velvetunder20

Novice Member
Not really sure how amps+passive speakers are matched up well

Was hoping people could shed light on if this BT20A could support the 220s well?

Link to the Wharfedale Diamond's

Sensitivity (dB) 86
Impedance (ohms) 8
Power Rating (Watts) 100
Freq Response (Hz) 56 - 20,000

Link to the amp (BT20A) I am looking at

Am I right in thinking this amp matches the Watts and impedance rating needed for these speakers? is 100W too close to the max of the amps?

Thanks in advance!

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Even though it may say it can power the speakers, I'd be a little suspect if you wanted to turn the volume up as this may clip them which could cause unwanted damage to the speakers as it all depends upon how it was measured.

If you are wanting something small, then look to the mini/micro market and something like the Denon D-M41 (which has Bluetooth) would be my recommendation. I know its quite a bit more than the unit you have looked at, but buying once "right" saves you unwanted hassle and money long term

Velvetunder20

Novice Member
Yeah I am beginning to understand spending more is really worthwhile in the hifi department. Thanks for the recommendation.Do you think if I looked in the market for something just a bit more maybe around £100 I could find something that could handle them? Or am I looking at the very least the denon ones or non bluetooth Cambridge ones off eBay haha

Just wondering, what exactly is it about the amp that makes you suspect it might clip? Just curious as I'm a bit of a novice with it all. Is it the power rating? Or impedance, etc?

Thanks!

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I would say look at the secondhand market with your budget within this section. The old rule of if it looks to good to be true, it usually is. I would still add that even an older Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha micro units would be better than the unit you have found on Amazon :)

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
On ebay the price point looks like you'll be looking at a none Bluetooth Denon D-M39 enabling you to follow this thread to see what others have used to connect Bluetooth device

Do be careful when buying and check the sellers ratings / feedback plus ask questions about the unit and maybe further more photos so you can see it from other angles and if in doubt, there will be another one available as Denon did sell a lot of them :)

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Looking at your budget, any reasonable separates will suffice, so yes it should be fine with the speakers you have mentioned

Velvetunder20

Novice Member
Looking at your budget, any reasonable separates will suffice, so yes it should be fine with the speakers you have mentioned
Sorry what do you mean reasonable separates?

Would it be possible to push these to a decent volume without distortion/damaging the speakers? Not like party level just enough to fill a normal room comfortably

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
You should certainly be able to create a musical sound with that combination. As for pushing, that depends upon what you mean, if that means at volumes which make your ears bleed, then it wouldn’t matter what electronics you use with them. Damage could be caused in the say way as using inferior electronics. If you are going to listen at a normal level, then the two together should sound nice. Hope that helps :)

Velvetunder20

Novice Member
You should certainly be able to create a musical sound with that combination. As for pushing, that depends upon what you mean, if that means at volumes which make your ears bleed, then it wouldn’t matter what electronics you use with them. Damage could be caused in the say way as using inferior electronics. If you are going to listen at a normal level, then the two together should sound nice. Hope that helps :)
Haha yeah I guess its subjective as to what high volume is. Yeah just normal volume enough to really be able to pick out the different sounds and get a immersive experience, without anomalies occurring. Not like eardrum rattling haha.

Thanks for the advice mate, I saw one going for around £50 on ebay so I might buy 👍

Velvetunder20

Novice Member
Hey @ShanePJ sorry to bother you again lol.

I've not had much luck winning 340As on eBay. I've been looking at the much more available A1 MK3. I previously wrote it it off as it has 25W per channel. However, after reading/asking about on Reddit many have pointed out that it's rare, in my setting of a small-medium sized room, that this level of speakers would use more than 10W at 'normal' listening levels. So on that info, would it be fair to say the A1 MK3s would work fine for the wharfedale 220s and my situation? Cheers

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
There is a saying of What's a watt,

Arcam released a product called the Arcam Solo Mini years ago and that only had 25w whilst at the same time the Denon D-M39 I'm mentioned was on paper seemed to offer more watts due to the way it was advertised. Yet in reality the Arcam has more usable power that the Denon without creating distortion, so don't write lower wattage amps if they are full size separates

My suggestion would be to look at something from Marantz or Arcam from yesteryear, do note that secondhand components can fail like new units although you don't get a warranty and you may find that old models are irreparable due to part shortages or even uneconomical

Velvetunder20

Novice Member

Arcam released a product called the Arcam Solo Mini years ago and that only had 25w whilst at the same time the Denon D-M39 I'm mentioned was on paper seemed to offer more watts due to the way it was advertised. Yet in reality the Arcam has more usable power that the Denon without creating distortion, so don't write lower wattage amps if they are full size separates

My suggestion would be to look at something from Marantz or Arcam from yesteryear, do note that secondhand components can fail like new units although you don't get a warranty and you may find that old models are irreparable due to part shortages or even uneconomical
Ah right I see. Thanks for the info and help, much appreciated

Velvetunder20

Novice Member

I found a Denon PMA-250 II, going for £60 on eBay. Is it a bad line of thinking to assume all denon products are good or is this one a good shout you think?

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom