1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this actually worth anything?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Aug 6, 2003.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I went into Walsall yesterday afternoon, and was browsing round one of the local charity stores, to pass the time. Whilst looking in their video collection, I found the following tape. Whilst I don't intend selling it, can anyone tell me if it's actually worth anything?

Star Wars (Original 1977, not-digitally-mastered version, with no George Lucas tinkering)
    - Pan-and-scan version
    - Original white CBS/Fox "All Time Greats" VHS movie box.
    - Front cover has famous Princess Leia/Luke Skywalker artwork pose, on the front cover.
    - Inlay Sleeve is made of card, not glossy paper
    - Reverse of sleeve, has cast and credit details, unlike almost every other release of the film, which had nothing inside.
    - No trailers or ads. Just the film.
    - Small-print shows a 1988 release date, for this particular version of the movie.

Pooch

2. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Worth virtually nowt

3. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    i got one too,along with empire and jedi,also got betamax releases,original rental star wars in big box,cinefilm star wars,loads of star wars releases and i dont think any of them are worth nothing more than what you value them as,to me they are priceless,:hiya:

4. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,764
    OK, is my mates record worth anything? I think it's a 12" and is basically the film narrated, with all the sound effects going on in the background. Is pretty cool to listen too with the images from the film whizzing around in your head.

5. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard of that... which release is it?

6. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,764
    Not sure, I'll see if I can find out more details about it. It's bloomin old though :)

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Beta copy may be worth more!

SOme of these old Beta prerecorded tapes are still very watchable

8. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    I got this too, and the empire & jedi one as well.

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The LP in question is called "The Story of Star Wars" and was released in the UK in 1977 just a few months after the soundtrack album. It features the entire movie in story form. Roscoe Lee Browne narrates with the aid of music, sound FX and dialogue from the movie.

The sleeve is gatefold and opens to reveal a glossy booklet of colour photos. I worked in the record trade at the time it was released and we sold very few of it at the time, maybe one or two a week. About two months or so after the initial release we placed a re-order and were told that it was temporarily unavailable. It never reappeared.

I was told many years later that it was a release put together by Fox's music division without the consent of Lucas and that he ordered it withdrawn. I can't confirm this to be the case or not.

It seems to be a relatively obscure album as it has even escaped the "Record Collector Price Guide" at least up to the 2002 edition. So no official value is available.

I put mine up for auction in "Record Collector" magazine and attracted no more than 20-odd quid. I held on to it and about a year later threw it up for auction in a Star Wars fan mag that was recommended by a friend where it fetched £180.

The 2LP soundtrack is valued by "Record Collector" at about £40, but complete with original inserts, etc, I have seen it go in fan circles for three figures.

10. Elsie Grammar

Elsie Grammar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: Jesus! I think I've got a copy of this somewhere. Time to do a bit of digging ...

11. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    i imagine this whole business of rare soundtrack records etc, is of interest to many on here. I see 'Record Collector' is mentioned - is there a good online resource, equivalent to this magazine?

can you remember which magazine this was?

cheers

Dean

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Some interesting posts here. Thanks to those of you who answered my initial query. I did't think it was actually worth anything, other than sentimental value, but just thought I'd ask, out of curiosity.

This brings me onto another question: what other collectables have you folks got, out there, that may/may nottt be worth anything. I have the following, though I doubt they are worth much.

- Beano Comic Library (Issues 3, 4 and 5)
    - Beano regular weekly, 50th anniversary issue, with free 50 years Of Beano poster

Have any of you got any collectable videos, like:
    - an original, rental-sized boxd version of "Once Upon A Time In America"
    - The "Alien Trilogy" Facehuger boxed set- "The Abyss: Special Edition" VHS boxed set, including the film, the 58 minute documentary about the toughest shoot in film history, and a colour brochure detailing what new material is incuded. Limited to just 3000 copies worldwide.

Pooch

13. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    i think the problem is that a lot of people (myself included) have a lot of stuff, that they dont know is 'collectable' or just boot-sale tat.

14. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    i have the facehugger vhs boxset and the t-shirt still sealed in its bag.is it worth anything?

15. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have some very rare house records.

16. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Care to name a few my Northern fellow?

Adz

17. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

Since this all started of with Star Wars - Here's my collectable...

Just before Lucas screwed up the trilogy they released a limited edition massize black tin with the original versions of all 3 films, an extra's video, pictures scripts etc

I went through Hell getting it as they were sold out in the London within a few hours of the shops opening

The only problem was that I hoped with this final version they would have put a few key scenes back in that I remembered seeing as a kid - that all video releases had cut out - BUT NO LUCK. I must have at least 4 different versions of Episode 4 (Including American versions) - None of which have the scenes

Hopefully this will be sorted out with the eventual DVD release

RON

18. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    do you remember seeing as a kid,i've seen ep 4 starwars more than a couple of hundred time now!!!!honest..

19. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I don't think I have anything of great monetary value, it is still sentimentally wealthy in my heart.

Before the Special Editions of Star Wars got released I had already bought the THX :rotfl: widescreen editions of the original episodes IV,V,VI some years before.

This was pretty awesome for me as I had never owned anything in the widescreen format. Now it seems these original versions will never be seen again as the final release DVDs will be special editions with possibly even more tinkering....

20. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    What missing scenes Hawklan? I saw all three (original format) movies on their original releases and subsequent reissues, both here and in the USA, and never noticed anything different/missing. Never saw anything different until the "Special Edition" lark started.

21. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

When they we in the Garbage Compacter after R2D2 stopped the walls from crushing them I remembered Luke scaping crud of the door to tell C3P0 where they were - In the tin I've got there is a script which actualy has Han performing the de-crudding and telling luke the location who then passes it onto C3P0 - In the later release you just hear Lukes voice over the radio

The next scene I'm not so sure about (failling memory and all that) When Obi Wan turned of the Trator beam I remember him going back to turn it on (Guards or something) then going back to turn it of - In the video's, re-release etc you only see him turn it of the once - Haven't read the script on this.

I must admit over the year I thought that I must have been imagining these scene extentions - But the Script has put my mind at rest

I suppose what really bother's me it what other little bits were cut out that I have forgotten about

You do seem to see it alot on re-releases of Video/DVD releases

It would be interesting for other people to share their views on cuts that they remember from origininal film releases that have yet to see the light of day - I'll start a thread

Many thanks

RON

22. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,018
    There were lots of gaffs that where removed such as the guard bumping his head, and I think the bit when Chewbacca shows his trainers

23. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    the gaff with the trooper banging his head still remains,but when lucas noticed this he added the line"see to him"on the movie,in my early vhs beta and cine versions the"see to him"is not there.

24. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is the Alient VHS trilogy boxset actually worth anything?
    I nearly flogged it off at a car boot last year but decided to hang on to it...
    I suppose if the Alien boxset is worth something then the Diehard VHS trilogy might be to especially considering the studio issues that have come into play since the dvd trilogy attempt?

Anyone ?:confused:

25. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the original Once Upon A Time In America release, but its not a rental size box, as it was a ThornEMI release in the days before rental boxes were the norm. They only really did that a year or two later for Highlander and Brazil. Both of which I have as well. They are all worth virtually nothing now, but are all in a safe place just in case the grandkids might make a bob or two off them. Also got a dutch Henry POASK thats signed by John Mcnoughton on VHS. It, too, is worthless, but is in a safe place.

As for the star wars missing scenes. I remember all the scenes from the various comics that came out at the same time as the film. Is it possible, that this is where they are from?

Though, having said that, I am sure that the bit where Obi Wan turns the tractor beam back on was on the first copy of star wars i had, the old CBS Fox rental only version from 1982 or wherever. I shall have a look in that 'safe place' and report back.