Is this acceptable backlight leakage (Tosh 37wl66)

viking01

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve posted 4 pictures that were taken under ‘normal’ viewing conditions (Toshiba 37WL66Z in a dimly lit room):

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m219/viking01/37wl66_leakage1.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m219/viking01/37wl66_leakage2.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m219/viking01/37wl66_leakage3.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m219/viking01/37wl66_leakage4.jpg

I'm a bit concerned about the backlight leakage (most noticeable in the top right corner in pictures #1 to #3). Is this acceptable or not ?

-Eric-

From what I can see in those pictures, I'd say there's nothing out of the ordinary there. A bit of ambient light is a better environment for LCD viewing.

There actually is a 25w light source next to the LCD, and a 25w lamp opposite of the LCD. When I look at Toshiba WL66 pictures like the ones in this message http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3311730&postcount=202, I get the impression that they don't have any backlight leakage at all (or very little) - that's why I'm wondering if I should return my set or not.

-Eric-

I have the 32WLT. From the pictures, looks normal (Same as mine).

But really if your set is not 'as it should be 100%' then you ought to return it right?

Doesn't look that bad to me but now yo've seen it you'll always be looking for it.

nick501 said:
But really if your set is not 'as it should be 100%' then you ought to return it right?

Doesn't look that bad to me but now yo've seen it you'll always be looking for it.

Looks bad to me, clearly evident BL leakage on the right hand side. Hopefully it's still in warranty.

looks bad to me - I havent the slighest Leakage on mine anywhere.

Thanks for the replies - I have contacted Toshiba and they told me to return it to the shop for further examination.

-Eric-

any news more news on this?

just got my 37wlt66 and it's the same esp. bottom right corner.

I'm phoning my retailer to see what can be done.

Hey all,

My LCD looks like this too (sammy le40m51) but it moves depending on where you look at it (sit right side of the screen I get none on right but leakage on left and opposite). Mine looked like that after a few weeks now it touches top and bottom of the screen.

I was never bothered about it as I thought I sat too close, but now.......:rolleyes:

I phoned retailer who asked me to phone Toshiba. Which i did, and they gave me a ref. no. to give to retailer for the screen to be replaced and the new one should be with me on tuesday.

The whole process was pretty straight forward. Great customer service from Toshiba and www.beyondtelevision.com:thumbsup:

I'll post back when i've tested new one.

nick501 said:
any news more news on this?

just got my 37wlt66 and it's the same esp. bottom right corner.

I'm phoning my retailer to see what can be done.

I've forwarded the pictures to Toshiba (Germany) and they told me this is NOT how the display is supposed to look. They are calling this a 'defect' and have asked me to return the set to the retailer. I've also forwarded the pictures to the retailer and they agreed with Toshiba that this isn't correct display behaviour and have offered a replacement set.

I have uploaded a few more pictures:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m219/viking01/37wl66_leakage5.jpg

and

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m219/viking01/37wl66_leakage6.jpg

-Eric-

what made my mind up about whether this was acceptable was when i ask my wife 'can you see anything wrong with this screen' she answered 'no, apart from one side looks brighter' I knew it was going back........

I asked Tosh Tech if it was common on this model and he said i'm the first he's come across. oh well, we'll see how the new set is tomorrow.

My 37WLT66 is brighter down the right hand side, about 6 inches in. I put this down to the fact that I view it slightly from the left. Now I'm not too sure?! :(
I'll have a closer look tonight and try to get some pics.

I got it from Comet about 6 weeks ago. Should I contact Toshiba first (and what's the number?) before I go and try and explain the problem to the half-wit in the shop?

my new tv arrived at 9.45 this morning but i'm stuck here at work so i cant check it out till later.

i'm not holding out much hope though as a few on here have said there's are the same.

if it is, i may see if i can get a refund then buy a panny 37px60.

I've got my replacement tv set up and it's pretty much the same as the old one.

Now i dont know whether to live with it or get my money back and go for something else.

Not even sure if it is faulty or not.

Attachments

• 000_2027.jpg
    000_2027.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 322
  • 000_2028.jpg
    000_2028.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 312
  • 000_2023.jpg
    000_2023.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 361
I've had a think and i'm going to see if i can live this problem(?)

Seems a bit too consistent to be a fault (unless its a design fault). Also you can only really see the fault on black/white screens, otherwise the picture is absolutely spot on.

I watched a couple of HD movie trailers via xbox360 and was blown away really.

after another evening trying to put up with this, i'm now having serious second thoughts........it's such a shame as i can see the picture would be spot on without this annoying problem.

If it was me, I wouldn't accept it. If it's normal for those Toshiba models then I would look elsewhere. :(

What I have found with this forum is that people post when they have a problem. I have had this TV for a few months yet and have not experienced any of the well documented problems detailed on this website. Luckily, I didn't read any of this before I bought it or else I would still be on my old 29" CRT.:D

It seems that your supplier must have a duff batch in. I would ask them for a TV from another shipment or if they have another branch that has another bacth then ask for one out of that batch.

Am I being a muppet cos i can't see any difference in the right hand of the screen to the left :(

Sure it's there but I don't think my eyes are good enough... perhaps that's a good thing.... when i finally splash out on an LCD I won't notice the bad points as much.... Feel sorry for you guys with really good vision.... buying an LCD screen must drive you mental!!!!!!:rotfl:

onesandtwos said:
Am I being a muppet cos i can't see any difference in the right hand of the screen to the left :(

Sure it's there but I don't think my eyes are good enough... perhaps that's a good thing.... when i finally splash out on an LCD I won't notice the bad points as much.... Feel sorry for you guys with really good vision.... buying an LCD screen must drive you mental!!!!!!:rotfl:

its difficult to capture in photographs, the three at the top of this page, its very easy to see on the first picture with the grey graduations, look at the difference in color of the left most block and the right most block, they are meant to be the same colour!!
The second picture where its all blue, i cant really tell the difference on that one, but you can easily see it on the pictures in the first post on this thread.
The third picture is too small to see whats being shown.

just to add my experience to this.

Ive got the 37WLT66 and my screen has the same problems probably a little worse than the pictures in the first post on this thread.

rang Toshiba and no problems getting an auth code to swap the set over with the retailer, so i pick my new replacement set up on Saturday, so ill post back when i see what set 2 turns out like.

Mark

ok. have a look at these:

Attachments

• bright screen 1.jpg
    bright screen 1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 382
  • bright screen 4.jpg
    bright screen 4.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 383
Sorry that I don't have anything to add that will help, but I also have had this issue with my 37WLT66 since it was new.

On the last post I can really see the difference on the Star Wars piccie you have attached and I don't think mine is anywhere near as bad as this, but I can see that it is noticeably lighter on the right hand side on my screen too.

The fact that you have had 2 of these and they have the same issue suggests to me that it is a design issue with the Tosh screens.

I ran the DVE tests too and dumped my settings in the post for the 32 inch screen setups. Whilst changing doesn't eliminate the problem altogether, it has left me with good enough settings to be at the point where my wife can't see any difference.

Problem is that once you know it is there you will always be looking for it rather than simply enjoying what you are watching.

I don't think mine is quite as bad as yours with the settings I have in place so I will live with mine (especially hearing that your 2nd one is no better). Saying that though I am quite lazy too and after mounting the bracket on the wall the thought of trying to change it for something else probably guides my decision too.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom