1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a suspect purchase?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by DaveH, Oct 12, 2003.

1. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hello,

In my continuing quest to find a pentax digital camera. I managed to find one online for for about 40 pounds cheaper than anywhere else.

This sounds too good to be true and upon closer examination the camera is only supplied with French instructions. (English can be downloaded from the web but this is not the point). This leads me to believe that the camera is a French model. The website also claims that there is a 2 year warrenty. Although I am not sure whether this warrenty is a Pentax warrenty or a warrenty with the company I may buy it from.

I am going to contact the company direct but they may tell me everything is ok. What do you all think? Is there something fishy going on here?

Many thanks.

2. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Warranty on a Pentax should be world-wide. Not dependant on the country of origin. British dealers, trying to protect their margins, will try and persuade you otherwise.

3. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Are you refering to www.pixmania.com?

I have ordered from them with no problems.

Yes the manual is in French, but you can down load a pdf version form a pentax web site. You may also need a charger lead with our type plug on it (very common type , same as you get on portable stereos etc).

First year is standard pentax international warranty, and second year is from pixmania.

The Optio is currently on sale for £284 from pcworld, if that was what you were after

woody

Edit
    They sell standard european models. I don't think country specific models are made anymore.

4. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks guys.

Yes it was pixmania.

You have put my mind at ease I will go ahead and order it.

Cheers.

Dave.