is this a stupid question???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Hicksy, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the recommended size screws needed for wall brackets for 42" Plasmas?

I suppose it depends on the bracket!

Much appreciated for any help.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The stupid answer is to use the ones that fit the holes, but actually a bit of slack there helps to get the bracket level. You nip it up, put a level on top and tap it till it's straight, then wind the screws in hard. And the screw length and type is defined by the wall of course. Soft wall = long screw etc. Use what's appropriate for the wall is the most important bit. They are really not that heavy, you don't have to go mad, unless it's 63" of course....

3. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Much appreciated for your answer MAW.

It just seems scary when you are putting your TV on to your wall and relying on the strength of a few screws!!! I will give it a go and see what happens!

Oh well, better make sure my accident cover is in place!!

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Accident cover, good idea, but it won't be needed if your very basic DIY is up to the job. My installers usually bung 4 scews in then do a pull up on the bracket to demonstrate. If it falls off, they start again! Never happened yet.

5. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chose of wall plug is definately important, as Maw said, if the wall is soft then a longer screw is needed....but obviosly there is not point in having a 2inch screw and a 1/2 inch wall plug, as 1 1/2 inch (roughly) of the screw wont be touching anything. if its a solid brick wall then just standard sizes of about 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 inch screw should be ok. Make sure the thred is meaty on the screws!!!!

Believe is all not, in bolt design, you get no extra strength if the length of the bolt goes any higher than the diameter of the bolts, for metalic applications anyway.....there is a fact for ya (as boring as it is). Not sure if its the same for wall/wood screws, but I doubt it

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Do they call you Rusty cos you are a metallurgist?

7. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehe, nah, Im actually trying to get in to a feild known as CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) which is the analysis of the flow of fluids, so i could plots cooling flow if you have problems with over heating in any of your setup ;) (like the fireplace!!! hehe
    Im currently looking for sponsorship to carry out a Ph.d. in it, cause is stupidly difficult to get a job in CFD with out a Ph.d., but poeple are to tight with there money!!! haha, like me!!!

8. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have learned something new! thanks chaps.