is this a Radeon or a powered by?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by buns, Aug 17, 2002.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I saw a radeon 7500 in my travels at scan, it didnt suggest it to be anything but a genuine version, but at £59 im not so sure......

www.scan.co.uk if anyone would be able to confirm that would be great!

A technical question...... cas 2 ram has been told to me to be faster, is that correct? So how come cas2 and cas 3 cost the same?

thanks

Ad

2. bigfatlad

bigfatlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought my radeon 7500 from dabs.com for £49 inc VAT. It is not a MADE BY ATI but is POWERED BY ATI. I was a bit worried about it not being made by ATI, but my fears turned out to be unfounded as the card is very good. It overclocks very well and easily runs at the same clock speed as the made by ati cards. If you don’t mind overclocking, powered by ati cards are fine.

CAS2 ram is indeed faster than CAS3, although it is unusual for both types to be the same price...perhaps they're trying to shift old stock.

3. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The main concern (as I understand things) is that the Powered By.... cards won't accept the same drivers as the genuine ATI cards, but that is easily fixed - see here

4. bigfatlad

bigfatlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Ive had no problems with my card, perhaps you will be as lucky too. As soon as i had plugged it in i used the new ATI catalyst drivers and not the ones that come on the CD.
    Everything is great, espcially considering the price/performance ratio of this card. (ive even been playing GTA3 using a joypad on the big screen....great!!)

regards.

5. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The latest 6118 catalyst ATI drivers do not check for 'built by ati' vendor id.... therefore get the cheapest radeon you can get for now. I wonder if the Radeon 9xxx has fixed the gamma problems that plagued the 85xx series ?.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone...... my worry was indeed the driver issue. I am going from zero to hcpc in a matter of days in preparation for the immersive card, so having to deal with driver problems would not have been something i wanted!

I will heed Jrwood and go for the cheap and cheerful powered by version, that is until the 9*** are out and tested! ;)

ad

7. mgf909

mgf909

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought my 7500 from Scan and its a "Powered by" card. ( i cant recall the actual manufacturer....

I was going to send it back, but i flashed the bios with the retail ATI one and have had no issues with it, and PQ was a step forward from GF 256 and Matrox 400...so figured its ok.