1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a normal sound

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by thesnowman, Jan 1, 2004.

1. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I just recieved my Pioneer 313 yesturday, I've been testing it out all day and found no problems with the system until I paused the player whilst watching a dvd that I can hear a slight humming sound coming from the speakers, the sound is not load but is noticable if I'm really close to the speakers

when I mute the system no sound appears from any of the speakers
    when I pause the system or switch the volume level to 0 the sound is noticable

I don't know if this a normal sound with this system or in general since I am still pretty new to all this home cinema

but if anyone has any answers to this question I would be very greatful

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Interesting that theres a difference between muting the sound and setting to volume 0. This isn't normal behaviour on most home cinema systems but sounds like a minor design problem on the Pioneer but nothing to worry about. Pausing a dvd and turning volume down to 0 both have the effect of reducing load on the psu. Maybe the psu board in these tend to get a bit noisy when they are not under load.

3. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Do you know if muting the sound cuts off the power to the speakers? if so maybe I should try out different speaker cables to see wheather this makes a difference to the set-up

any pioneer DCS-313 owners out there please let me know if this is normal or wheather the system I recieved is faulty.

4. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    bonzobanana- How quiet is the speakers on your system when you pause or mute the sound is it normal to hear any form of sound coming from the speakers or is it dead silent

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I have a Samsung HTDM150 and if I go right upto the maximum 69 volume setting while the dvd is in stop mode I hear absolutely nothing. If I put the dvd player into play mode and then pause I hear nothing too at volume 69. The difference might be indicative of certain variations in components though as it may be analogue amplifiers are better than digital amplifers or vice versa. I'm not sure what the Samsung is but I think its meant to be an analogue amplifier or at least the american version was. However for all I know the uk version has a digital amplifier.

My own suspicion is its a digital amplifier as I've used it at near maximum volume (62 which is the highest I've ever used it at) for long sessions and the built in fan never comes on and the system is never unstable. However its high up and well ventilated so thats going to help.

How is your DCS313 connected? Does the noise go away when you disconnect the scart lead and any auxillary inputs to the sytem. I.e. the system is just connected to mains and its speakers. Maybe the scart lead is carrying some background noise from the tv to the system. How about turning off any noise generating devices in the room like a pc or console. PC's can be a major source of electrical interference. Are any speaker cables lieing near to any mains cables? That can cause interference too.

Good old aluminium foil is great for isolating cables from one another to prevent interference.

6. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my 313 for about 4 months now and never noticed any sound anomolies until I read your post.

I've tested mine and there are no obtrusive sounds other than at max volume when paused or stopped. Even then, I have to put my ear to the speakers and can only just hear a slight background hiss. Mute kills any sound stone dead right away. One fact though, I did replace all my speaker cables at outset with Hitachi oxygen free stuff and this may have made a difference.

I certainly wouldn't regard this as a problem but it seems that your background noise is more noticeable - try some of the screening suggestions in other posts or recable the setup

Good luck