Quantcast

Is this a gumtree scam

cjx

Pretty sure I know the answer but thought I'd ask anyway. I'm selling a smart watch on gumtree and just got the below reply after he asked how middy is selling for and I replied £200 but would take £200.

OK, I'm buying for my Cousin in Catford as Gift and will be offering 210 GBP including Postage through Royal Mail Special Delivery.. So Pls kindly take the item off Gumtree and send me Your Name ,Item Name and PayPal e-mail address for PayPal payment or Bank details for Bank transfer : Account number, Item name, total amount, E-mail address , full name and the sort code

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Why are you selling such a high value item on Gumtree?

The trouble with the site is that there is no protection for either buyer or seller. I suppose if they are offering to buy via BT, they could pay you first and you could send Special Delivery, so there would be some kind of verifiable trail.

What do you think the scam might be? That they pay, you send but then they put a spurious claim in and get their money back and still keep your item?

brydo666

High value item?

I've bought and sold items worth much more than £200 on Gumtree over the years. Sure there are scammers, just need to think things through and be sensible before you hand over any cash.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
High value item?

I've bought and sold items worth much more than £200 on Gumtree over the years. Sure there are scammers, just need to think things through and be sensible before you hand over any cash.
I wouldn't want to just write off £200, so yes, it's a high value item (albeit, it's a relative term, I admit).

What advice do you have for the OP?

Ruffuz

Pretty sure I know the answer but thought I'd ask anyway. I'm selling a smart watch on gumtree and just got the below reply after he asked how middy is selling for and I replied £200 but would take £200.

OK, I'm buying for my Cousin in Catford as Gift and will be offering 210 GBP including Postage through Royal Mail Special Delivery.. So Pls kindly take the item off Gumtree and send me Your Name ,Item Name and PayPal e-mail address for PayPal payment or Bank details for Bank transfer : Account number, Item name, total amount, E-mail address , full name and the sort code
Yes, this is scam.

brydo666

I agree with your recommendation of Bank Transfer. I just wanted to raise that it isn't abnormal to buy/sell expensive items on the site.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
I agree with your recommendation of Bank Transfer. I just wanted to raise that it isn't abnormal to buy/sell expensive items on the site.
Bank transfer is no guarantee either.
‘My account was hacked & an unauthorised payment was made...’

cjx

No fees and never had any trouble with it before.

Cheers for the replies, I was pretty sure it was dubious. Who offers to pay more than what adding price for a start.

John7

....someone who wants to get all your personal details to scam you (email address, phone no., bank name, sort code etc etc).

nheather

Distinguished Member
This is definitely a scam, just ignore it.

Never used gumtree but can’t see any reason not to. I’ve sold plenty on FridayAd when I wanted a face to face deal.

FridayAd is rife with those chancers so no surprise that gumtree is too.

I have just ignored them, waited for genuine interest and never had a problem.

Cheers,

Nigel

NeverEden

Distinguished Member
It's definitely a scam, someone else posted a few weeks ago with the same type of scam and lost out. But go ahead with it any way, the Disputed threads been quiet the last few weeks with some cliffhangers, getting bored.

Doug the D

Distinguished Member
Has anyone ever posted asking "is this a scam" and it's turned out NOT to be?
Exactly what I was going to post.

This question is up there with 'Does my arse look fat in this?' - ALWAYS answer 'No darling'.

'Is this a scam?' - if you've gotta ask, you know the answer already and are just looking for validation imo...There must be hundreds of people looking for highly desirable items like an Apple Watch every single day. Leave even the slightest dodgy-looking buyer well alone, go for someone that you're happy to do business with.

booyaka

Gumtree - cash in hand/on hand over. Nothing else.

Far to many scams/charge backs/lost in post etc.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
'Is this a scam?' - if you've gotta ask, you know the answer already and are just looking for validation imo....
Couldn't agree more with this.

A bit like that recent post about someone buying a car. The OP of that post had his mind made up before he even asked the question... but was looking for the 1% of members who would tell him it was okay.

Sure, it SEEMS to have worked out okay but why ask if you were going ahead anyway?

Last edited:

Dony

Distinguished Member
Couldn't agree more with this.

A bit like that recent post about someone buying a car. The OP of that post had his mind made up before he even asked the question... but was looking for the 1% of members who would tell him it was okay.

Sure, it SEEMS to have worked out okay but why ask if you were going ahead anyway?
That thread moved to the motoring section.

All went smoothly with that sale.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
That thread moved to the motoring section.

All went smoothly with that sale.
Yes... I know that.

But the point isn't about how smoothly it went. The point is about the OP of that thread asking for advice just for validation... as at @Doug the D mentioned.

Many on that thread pointed out that problems could arise months AFTER the purchase.

leamspaceman

Distinguished Member
That's not how your post read before you edited it.
I looked up the thread after posting then edited mine to reflect what I'd seen.

It was still about the validation factor prior to the edit...

You quoted my edited version though???

Last edited:

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
When you see a thread with a title, 'is this a gumtree scam?', the answer is never 'no, of course not'. :D

Also, never accept paypal as a payment and send to an address other than the registered address linked to that paypal account.