• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is this a good value set up?

Just priced this up in Hughes Electrical

Wharfedale XARUS5000 - £149
Pioneer - AA6J Amp, £229
Pioneer - PD6J CD, £229

Individually they all are well rated and the speaker price is brilliant (I think). But will they work well together, sound great and worth the money?

Thanks!

EDIT: Think its between the Pioneer and this set up

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/5419

Suggested on another thread...

Are the comparable? I take it as the H&K has a tuner too, that it is slightly more 'budget' than the Pioneers?

Last edited:

Roger Thornhill

Established Member
I would audition some other speakers if i were you.

I just feel you will be let down by them, Wharfedale are not what they were.

How about these? MISSION M33i SPEAKERS at hifix.co.uk

I have no affilliation with this company or Mission.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Here is the problem I have with the Pioneer amp, it is moving up into the high quality side of amps, or at least it believes it is. More quality means less quantity. While I am sure it is a good amp, the Pioneer is only 60 watt to 4 ohms. Which in turn means the real power rating to 8 ohms is closer to 40 watts. That's still an OK amount of power, but £350 is a lot of money to pay for a 40 watt amp. (£350 is the typical price I found the A-A6-J for. I didn't see it anywhere for £229.)

I'm just not sure it represents the best value for your money.

In 40 watt amp, for about £200, you can get a NAD C315, Marantz 5003, or any one of several other amps that are good acceptable quality. You can get a 60w Yamaha amp for £210. The Yamaha, while good, probably doesn't equal the quality of the NAD or Marantz, but it does represent good value for the money.

Even the Harman Kardon amps, while they may not be the absolute best, they certainly are good and represent good value for the money.

Rather than spend £350 on the Pioneer, if you want top quality, you would be better off spending the same £350 on a Rotel RA-05 with 40 watt per channel.

Keep in mind with the Harman Kardon, you can get 80 watts per channel for less. In another thread, someone wondered if the Harman's were too good to be true. So, I compared their price with other similar Receivers from different manufacturer's and found that the price of the Harman was consistent with the others, though admittedly on the low end of the spectrum.

I don't think anyone is saying the the HK are the greatest amps made, but the feedback we are getting is that they are good value and perform well above their price.

Now if you want amps that are truly 'too good to be true', consider the -

Sony STR-DH100 Receiver with 90 watts per channel to 8 ohms for only £159.

or the -

Teac AG7090 Receiver with 100 watts per channel to 8 ohms for only £169.

If you are in dark and desperate circumstances and want a 'get by for now' stereo, these might be worth considering, but you have to understand that to reach that low price point with that much power, some real sacrifices had to be made.

I don't trust these, but I do reasonably trust the Harman Kardon.

Now I'm not just pushing that Harman Kardon, there are many other amps that represent better value and better quality for the same price as, or less than, the Pioneer.

To some extent it is about your priorities. For some, absolute quality trumps power and features. For others they want a balanced blend of quality and quantity. For other, they want the absolute most for the absolute least. Somewhere in this spectrum you have to find yourself.

Personally, I've always looked at the midrange consumer products; not super cheap and not super expensive. I feel I get the most value of my money when I try to achieve a reasonable blend, or balance, of quantity and quality. I think this is also where most consumers are.

Now, if you can actually find that Pioneer amp for that price (£229), that is a pretty good deal. But the power and specs on the Pioneer A0307R amp are very close to the A-A6-J, and the price is only £179. Other than the Cambridge Audio, the Harman Kardon, the Yamaha, and the Marantz not much comes close to it. If you can spend a little more, say closer to £300, then look at Rotel, NAD C325 and C326, or perhaps the Onkyo TX8555.

Again, I'm not that familiar with the current line of Pioneer equipment, but what I see, I'm only moderately impressed with. Keep in mind, historically, I'm a big Pioneer fan. I've had a Pioneer amp and turntable for MANY years and they are both still serving me faithfully. But the new stuff, just doesn't seem to equal the old stuff. But that is very much just my opinion.

In the end, all we can do is give our opinions, the final decision is up to you, and you shouldn't just take out word for it. Listen to the various amps if you can. And, read professional on-line reviews. Get a composite view from a variety of sources, but in the end, nothing is a better test than listening.

Steve/bluewizard

Once again Steve - thanks for your brilliant and insightful help!

I will have another wander into the shop as they had some Marantz too.

The Pioneer was definitely £229 though (though I *think* it was a display model only).

Roger Thornhill

Established Member
............I've owned the M34i & found them VERY poor.

Still worth an audition though i would think. I would still recommend listening to the Wharfedales, i just think with the Pioneer kit they will be a disapointment, but if budget is an issue (which is why i suggested the Missions) then they may be the way to go.

Room for upgrades in the future:thumbsup:

Going for the nad c325 and accompaning cd player. £350 for the amp £325 for the cd and pairing them with the wharfedales.

Thanks for all the help and opinions - will leave some feedback once it is all set up!

jpr141

Prominent Member
Going for the nad c325 and accompaning cd player. £350 for the amp £325 for the cd and pairing them with the wharfedales.

Thanks for all the help and opinions - will leave some feedback once it is all set up!
£350 for the amp and £350 for the cd player , if you mean the nad c325 and nad c515 cd player those prices are well to high.?

£350 for the amp and £350 for the cd player , if you mean the nad c325 and nad c515 cd player those prices are well to high.?

It actually was the 326 amp and 545 CD player. I guess its always going to be a little dearer buying from an independent rather than scouring the net for a bargain - but I'll pay a bit more for convenience and actually seeing/testing the product first.

Like I say, it was £349 for the amp and 319 for the cd - doesnt look too much more expensive than some of the places on the net - maybe £20-30 dearer.

Anyways, got it all set up now and just had a listed to (the remastered) Abbey Road. At first, I wasnt that blown away, but as I settled back and really listened, the difference was amazing. So clear and crisp and I heard lots of things I've never heard before.

It may not be the best equipment, but coming from someone who previously has been listening to only MP3s for the last 5 years or so, it was a massive difference.

Very happy - once again thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited:

jpr141

Prominent Member
It actually was the 326 amp and 545 CD player. I guess its always going to be a little dearer buying from an independent rather than scouring the net for a bargain - but I'll pay a bit more for convenience and actually seeing/testing the product first.

Like I say, it was £349 for the amp and 319 for the cd - doesnt look too much more expensive than some of the places on the net - maybe £20-30 dearer.

Anyways, got it all set up now and just had a listed to (the remastered) Abbey Road. At first, I wasnt that blown away, but as I settled back and really listened, the difference was amazing. So clear and crisp and I heard lots of things I've never heard before.

It may not be the best equipment, but coming from someone who previously has been listening to only MP3s for the last 5 years or so, it was a massive difference.

Very happy - once again thanks for everyone's help!
Ok , those prices for the higher up the range 326 and 345 arent to bad. Your set up is a good one imo and should sound great. Enjoy. :)

DIBSTER

Prominent Member

Don't be too hard on the kit, it sounds like a decent set-up to me. Go with what you can afford, I do and get no end of pleasure from my "modest" set up.

Couldn't agree more regarding MP3's. I just dont bother with my MP3 player anymore, sounds bloody awful.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom