Is this a good system?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
@Brad25

’No, are those good speakers?’ :D

This stuff can be super overwhelming : )’ agreed and with little or no first hand experience of systems it is a bit of a lottery.

Dealer - do they have demo facilities where you can try out some of the systems they supply.

Speakers - interact hugely with your room, does the Dealer offer any facility to bring a van load of kit along for you to try out in your room?

Layout - is crucial and trying to optimise for multi-person movie viewing vs. single person gaming in your room is a big challenge.

Movies - limited range Front LCR, Surrounds and Overhead speakers underpinned by an active Sub(s) is how movie soundtracks are created and much simpler to integrate into you room.

Sticking Full Range front LR speakers can result in overblown bass in your room unless you get the positioning of the speakers spot on and your second row of seating adds a further complication unless you plan to set the Front LR on a riser (and possibly remove the tilted base plates).

Joe

Brad25

Standard Member
It won`t be overkill if you like ton of physical bass with action/scifi/horror/war type of movies - series and more importantly listen LOUD in first place! I mean why buy Ferrari if you only drive it in the city as you can´t really enjoy what it`s made for = to be driven fast! In same way the expensive big box would go waste. If this is the case then 2x PB3000 would be surely more than fine.

It`s more of the things i mentioned like the high price vs. competition in USA (you have ton of superb options there!!). Also the fact that i know 16 Ultra is next on the line to see update and it may happen this year already. SVS has updated 1000 Pro, 2000 Pro and 3000 series so the next in line is 16U first and then 4000 serie. Real world experiences says the PB16U does sound bit different due to that massive heavy driver. Some are not fully happy with the extension as with the Monoprice 16 THX / X brands you do get even more ULF bass for much lower cost, the very lowest stuff which is probably one of the most addicting part for bass heads, but this would also mean you are listening at very loud levels to be able to feel it. However most of the bass in movies is higher so this is not something you get with every movie.

I would say if you aren`t 100% sure yet have a look of the competition, unless you want SVS subwoofer which is of course fine. In that case i would consider going with dual PB3000 cause if you feel you want something bigger later you have the SVS upgrade program which we don`t have in UK/Europe. So let´s say new PB16U is introduced within year you will be able to upgrade to it very easily and price for dual PB3000 is quite good although Mono 13 THX offers more for similar price, but you won´t get the goodies which comes with SVS (1year upgrade program, one of the best email/chat support, 45-day home trial with free return shipping etc).

Monoprice 16 THX would outperform PB16U (2900$) for 2100$ and coming close to JTR Cap 2400 (3500$) so if you are not fully sold on SVS yet...

Then you have Rythmik which is well known from superb sound quality and great performance due to Servo technology used.

Power Sound Audio is fully made in USA which is important for some folks. They use the Italian high end pro drivers and there is now low tuned vented models:
Yeah, I think I am going to go dual either two PB4000's or 3000's

Brad25

Standard Member
They do have a facility I am trying to go there this weekend to listen to the speakers excluding the SVS stuff since they are not a vendor but can still order it.

I don't think they have a van load kit I can ask though.

Between the gaming and movie set up I would prefer to have the movie setup sounding the best possible with our situation. I am currently using a Sonos Arc with two subs int there.

Haven't thought about risers for the front speakers. I will look into that. Do I need those sound absorbing feet for the subs if they will be placed on carpet?

Thanks for all the info, you guys have been amazing with the help.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I think I am going to go dual either two PB4000's or 3000's

The price difference is bit too hard to swallow. If the black oak finish is ok then get the 2x PB3000 using the dual deal saving 200$ (3000$). You still have that one year period if you start to crave more and SVS introduces something new which i believe they do.

"I compared the SVS pb-3000 and the pb-4000 in this video. The 3000 series is very powerful and the wife couldnt tell a difference between the two. That means that the 3000 which is cheaper performs just as good as the 4000. I could tell a difference that the 4000 had a tad more punch, but the transience on the 3000 was lightning fast compared to the 4000. Why not save some cash and go with the 3000. "

Did you mean these? They very expensive and i believe there is cheaper alternatives if you want to add some feets.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Subs - feet can be handy if you ever have to try and get your fingers under them to move them.

Will be good to hear how the system(s) demo goes.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom