Is this a good system?

Brad25

Standard Member
I am having a new system installed by a reputable company here in Portland and this is what they proposed. How does this look? anything to recomend changing? I know there are alot of personal prefernces but would like to not have to change things for a while once it is set up. I will be watching a lot of movies and playing Xbox series X on a 83" LC C1 OLED. We don't really listen to music in that room.

YAMAHA RX-A6ABL 9.2 Channel Aventage
Focal 100 IWLCR 5 5" In-Wall LCR Speaker 2
Focal Chora Center-B-Black 2-way Center Channel Speaker 1
Focal 100 ICW 6 6" Round In-Ceiling Speaker 4
Focal 100 IW 6 6" In-Wall Speaker 2
Tributaries 4S-3 3M Subwoofer Cable 22AWG HF-OFC Conductors Twisted Pair 2
(2) REL Acoustics America LTD HT/1205-Black Serie HT 12" Powered Subwoofer 500W

Thanks for any opinions.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I am having a new system installed by a reputable company here in Portland and this is what they proposed. How does this look? anything to recomend changing? I know there are alot of personal prefernces but would like to not have to change things for a while once it is set up. I will be watching a lot of movies and playing Xbox series X on a 83" LC C1 OLED. We don't really listen to music in that room.

YAMAHA RX-A6ABL 9.2 Channel Aventage
Focal 100 IWLCR 5 5" In-Wall LCR Speaker 2
Focal Chora Center-B-Black 2-way Center Channel Speaker 1
Focal 100 ICW 6 6" Round In-Ceiling Speaker 4
Focal 100 IW 6 6" In-Wall Speaker 2
Tributaries 4S-3 3M Subwoofer Cable 22AWG HF-OFC Conductors Twisted Pair 2
(2) REL Acoustics America LTD HT/1205-Black Serie HT 12" Powered Subwoofer 500W

Thanks for any opinions.

Did you get to hear the Focal 100 serie speakers or at least the Choras (806 with centre)? There is lot of strong feedback for the next 300 range LCR in-walls and Arias. If you have higher budget i would consider the 300 IW LCR6 and Aria centre. If you are maxing the budget then stick with the plan but still ask to listen the Focal Choras if they are similar to 100 serie, the Focal models in your list are picked wisely otherwise and you seem to have professional installer to optimize the speaker placement. Yamaha A6A is good choice to drive a 5.2.4 system so no issues there.

How large is the room, length x width x height roughly? Your choice of subwoofers are questionable as you live in US there is much better options for less or similar money. I`m intrested in the room as if you have one of those typical large US open plan rooms the small RELs could feel bit lost there and this is the last thing you want after spending ton of money for new system. While you tell your room size can you say are you limited with the size of subwoofers if we give you other options and do you live in detached house where you can really crank up as much as you want?

Last edited:

Brad25

Standard Member
Did you get to hear the Focal 100 serie speakers or at least the Choras (806 with centre)? There is lot of strong feedback for the next 300 range LCR in-walls and Arias. If you have higher budget i would consider the 300 IW LCR6 and Aria centre. If you are maxing the budget then stick with the plan but still ask to listen the Focal Choras if they are similar to 100 serie, the Focal models in your list are picked wisely otherwise and you seem to have professional installer to optimize the speaker placement. Yamaha A6A is good choice to drive a 5.2.4 system so no issues there.

How large is the room, length x width x height roughly? Your choice of subwoofers are questionable as you live in US there is much better options for less or similar money. I`m intrested in the room as if you have one of those typical large US open plan rooms the small RELs could feel bit lost there and this is the last thing you want after spending ton of money for new system. While you tell your room size can you say are you limited with the size of subwoofers if we give you other options and do you live in detached house where you can really crank up as much as you want?
I am not at home right now so I can’t measure completely but the ceilings are probably about 9 feet high and it’s a super odd shaped room as you can see in the pictures. Kind of long and narrow

Attachments

• CDB737CB-CEFF-4D5C-90B5-2C4D32D8CBFD.png
    CDB737CB-CEFF-4D5C-90B5-2C4D32D8CBFD.png
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • 8BA8AB05-12DE-40C2-A46D-78909FEAFE35.png
    8BA8AB05-12DE-40C2-A46D-78909FEAFE35.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 48

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Slightly odd having In-wall Front LR and On-wall Centre.

It looks like your seating is pretty close to the screen - the front row is going to block the Centre for the second row.

Hard to see the detail but can’t see where you are planning to put the Surround channels.

Sub I’d go for one larger rather than two smaller if you want to hear/feel the movie LFE.

Joe

Brad25

Standard Member
Slightly odd having In-wall Front LR and On-wall Centre.

It looks like your seating is pretty close to the screen - the front row is going to block the Centre for the second row.

Hard to see the detail but can’t see where you are planning to put the Surround channels.

Sub I’d go for one larger rather than two smaller if you want to hear/feel the movie LFE.

Joe
I took some better pictures of my room. The ceiling is actually 8 feet, TV to the front row seating is 13 feet into the second row 18 feet the room is approximately 14 feet wide but I do have four open areas on each corner that I have my arcade games tucked in. Kind of a weird shaped room.

Attachments

• 5BF621DD-DA7E-4BFB-B1BD-4AEE9ACF0A8E.jpeg
    5BF621DD-DA7E-4BFB-B1BD-4AEE9ACF0A8E.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 40
  • F9F577A8-FA18-498E-809C-BE3BC2E2509B.jpeg
    F9F577A8-FA18-498E-809C-BE3BC2E2509B.jpeg
    386.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 9049C851-8D0A-466E-AED4-A6679C60338B.jpeg
    9049C851-8D0A-466E-AED4-A6679C60338B.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 6D0809BD-B09C-4ECF-9BBB-DAE022CF3ECD.jpeg
    6D0809BD-B09C-4ECF-9BBB-DAE022CF3ECD.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 39

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Cheers for the update.

Centre - I’d still worry it’s going to be Sat so low it’ll struggle to get to the second row, in your situation it may be preferable to consider lowering the screen a little with an In-wall Centre placed above the screen.

Surrounds - if they can be situated where the ‘Media’ racks are currently inbuilt that work work well either side of the seating, just behind or inline with the front row.

Sub - a long RCA and power cable and a play with positioning will find the ideal spot in your room.

AVR - is it going to live in a cabinet on the Front wall?

Joe

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I am not at home right now so I can’t measure completely but the ceilings are probably about 9 feet high and it’s a super odd shaped room as you can see in the pictures. Kind of long and narrow

As Joe mentioned the centre placement needs to be thought carefully cause the center channel also carries ~ 60 - 70% of a movie`s soundtrack so optimizing it goes long way getting enjoyable experience. It can be really tricky with tv though. You could still consider standmount/floorstanding speakers for the front l/r as IF you buy the normal box center channel anyway. For example pair of Focal Chora 806 + stands won`t cost much more than the Focal 100 LCR in-walls which requires making holes and pulling wires with the installer. Chora 816 towers are on sale in US too, but there is ton of speakers to choose from really. Personally i would have spend more money on the LCR and forget Atmos for now, but i get the hype is all about atmos for everyone and people want to get everything done right away which is understandable too.

Long and narrow room with those distances for listeners means two subwoofers is highly recommended cause you ain´t going to get smooth response otherwise. If your room would be roughly 30feet long there would be big null around 40hz making it underwhelming in important range for the bass. The ideal placement for the subwoofers in this type of narrow long room typically would be one sub at front left corner and 2nd sub at rear right in your case (where the red skate/snowboard is on wall). So diagonally opposite front/rear corners and the door kept closed when watching movies. It should give fairly balanced bass for the listeners without the bass locating from one point. Yamaha A6A has separate level/distance (delay) control for dual subwoofers too. You have healthy budget as the Rel HT1205 costs 850$/each and there is better products for this type of fairly large room. Are you ok with the idea of the subs going in those spots or close?

Brad25

Standard Member
As Joe mentioned the centre placement needs to be thought carefully cause the center channel also carries ~ 60 - 70% of a movie`s soundtrack so optimizing it goes long way getting enjoyable experience. It can be really tricky with tv though. You could still consider standmount/floorstanding speakers for the front l/r as IF you buy the normal box center channel anyway. For example pair of Focal Chora 806 + stands won`t cost much more than the Focal 100 LCR in-walls which requires making holes and pulling wires with the installer. Chora 816 towers are on sale in US too, but there is ton of speakers to choose from really. Personally i would have spend more money on the LCR and forget Atmos for now, but i get the hype is all about atmos for everyone and people want to get everything done right away which is understandable too.

Long and narrow room with those distances for listeners means two subwoofers is highly recommended cause you ain´t going to get smooth response otherwise. If your room would be roughly 30feet long there would be big null around 40hz making it underwhelming in important range for the bass. The ideal placement for the subwoofers in this type of narrow long room typically would be one sub at front left corner and 2nd sub at rear right in your case (where the red skate/snowboard is on wall). So diagonally opposite front/rear corners and the door kept closed when watching movies. It should give fairly balanced bass for the listeners without the bass locating from one point. Yamaha A6A has separate level/distance (delay) control for dual subwoofers too. You have healthy budget as the Rel HT1205 costs 850$/each and there is better products for this type of fairly large room. Are you ok with the idea of the subs going in those spots or close?
Yeah I am open to almost anything, I just want to try to do it right the first time : )

Brad25

Standard Member
Cheers for the update.

Centre - I’d still worry it’s going to be Sat so low it’ll struggle to get to the second row, in your situation it may be preferable to consider lowering the screen a little with an In-wall Centre placed above the screen.

Surrounds - if they can be situated where the ‘Media’ racks are currently inbuilt that work work well either side of the seating, just behind or inline with the front row.

Sub - a long RCA and power cable and a play with positioning will find the ideal spot in your room.

AVR - is it going to live in a cabinet on the Front wall?

Joe
Yes the AVR is going to live in a cabinet below the TV, It's a salamander designs 245B/ Synergy Quad 21" AV cabinet.

Brad25

Standard Member
We just purchased the LG C1 83" recently, but I would like to be able to upgrade that to a 95+ inch TV (OLED hopefully) in the next year or two. Once they become more readily available at realistic prices.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Ensure you allow for the larger screen when planning your Front LCR loudspeaker layout.

Have you considered Front projection with an AT screen and the Front LCR speakers (and Sub(s)) placed behind the screen?

Joe

Brad25

Standard Member
Ensure you allow for the larger screen when planning your Front LCR loudspeaker layout.

Have you considered Front projection with an AT screen and the Front LCR speakers (and Sub(s)) placed behind the screen?

Joe
Yeah, I have heard they aren't as good for gaming which is what I do 50% of the time on it. I might just switch to floor standing speakers in the front. I have heard they sound better than most in wall speakers. Any recommendations? My dealer sells

Focal​

Focal has been creating benchmark acoustic equipment since 1979 for various high fidelity markets such as home audio loudspeakers, headphones, car speaker drivers and monitoring loudspeakers. Crafted in France.

Paradigm​

Manufacturer of premium high-performance loudspeakers for music and home theater. Crafted in Canada.

REL Acoustics​

Do One Thing. Do It Perfectly.
REL creates what many consider the most musical and powerful sounding subwoofers available today by focusing on reliability, clean styling and robust mechanical construction.

Sonance​

Sonance specializes in creating high-quality home theater products, including amplifiers, accessories, and speaker solutions that work in any environment — from in-wall, to in-ceiling, to specialty speakers for your outdoor area.

James Loudspeaker​

James Loudspeaker products are engineered with great care to minimize their visual presence in your interior or landscape décor. The result is a refined entertainment experience without disrupting the beauty of your surroundings. Made in the USA.

Leon​

Leon is recognized throughout the industry for award-winning sound and unrivaled level of customization. Each speaker that leaves their shop is built by hand, custom-tailored to your exact specifications—whether it’s built to match the dimensions of your display or finished to integrate with the décor. Made in the USA.

Triad​

Every Triad speaker is designed and built for you to bring the ultimate acoustic experience to all the spaces in your life. In-wall and in-ceiling speakers create studio-quality sound, blending discretely into your interior design.
Freestanding and bookshelf speakers are built to your exact specifications, including perfectly matched colors or wood surfaces, to enhance your décor. And, Triad TV soundbars deliver unprecedented sound quality.

Pro-Ject​

Pro-Ject offers a wide range of turntable models designed to satisfy all levels of sonic desire and budget. Pro-Ject products exhibit audio performance that exceeds all expectations while remaining simple to use and maintenance-free, with reliable functionality that will last a lifetime.

Sonos​

Sonos is the ultimate wireless home sound system: a whole-house WiFi network that fills your home with brilliant sound, room by room.

Rega​

Rega Research is well-known in the high-end audio market, with popular turntables, cartridges, phono stages, DACs, and speakers.

Naim​

Naim Audio designs and manufactures some of the finest high-end two-channel audio systems available in the world. Crafted for pure musical performance.

Sony ES​

Sony takes the home entertainment experience to an entirely new level with its premium line of ES Receivers and ES and AR Speakers. They work together beautifully to give you an integrated experience as captivating as the entertainment itself.

AudioControl​

AudioControl has a 40-plus-year history of creating award-winning Made in USA products for integrators and backing them up with superior customer service as well as a 5-year warranty. Engineered and manufactured in the Pacific Northwest, their theater processors (and) receivers… are prime examples of best-in-class, innovative product designs from AudioControl.

Anthem​

Anthem AV receivers are built for performance. If you want an AV receiver that provides a high-quality experience for sound and video, then Anthem is a brand to consider.

Arcam​

Arcam exists for one simple reason: to bring the best possible sound into people’s lives, whether from movies or their favorite music.

Brad25

Standard Member
UPDATE*
After speaking with my installer we are going to forgo the inwall speakers and go with Focal Chora 826 floor standing spaeakers, Focal Chora Center-B-Black 2-way Center Channel Speaker, Focal 100 ICW 6 6" Round In-Ceiling Speaker (4) and Two Rel 1508 Predator Subwoofers. Denon 6700 AVR, I think this setup is a little bit better than previous.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
UPDATE*
After speaking with my installer we are going to forgo the inwall speakers and go with Focal Chora 826 floor standing spaeakers, Focal Chora Center-B-Black 2-way Center Channel Speaker, Focal 100 ICW 6 6" Round In-Ceiling Speaker (4) and Two Rel 1508 Predator Subwoofers. Denon 6700 AVR, I think this setup is a little bit better than previous.

You sure you want to buy without listening? At least drop those REL subs and say your installer that you are buying subwoofers elsewhere. You are paying 1900$ each (3800$ duals) for product that can be bested for much less!

For a compact sealed subs that most folks living in US would take over the RELs are:

Notice the deal for duals!

Your room was close to 30x14 from the tv to back door?

If you are not against larger boxes and are dreaming of the most impactfull physicall experience with latest blockbuster movies played LOUD then do consider the ported models cause you get superb performance for much less $$. These models in US by Monoprice are very hard to beat if you have the space (depth usually). You can ask from any audio forum high performing quality build sub for large room and these will be in the list of recommended subs.

Brad25

Standard Member
Awesome, thank you for the recomendation, I will definatly look into those. He was recomending the 12" Rel's but I wanted a little more bass that's why I was asking about the 1502's.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Display vs. Projection - both work well. Projection delivers a ‘look’ on Movies it is difficult to match with a Display and some Displays deliver features such as VRR it is difficult to match with a Projector.

Projection using an AT screen has a big advantage in terms of audio in that you can optimise the placement of the Front speaker set and by placing the speakers behind the screen you also declutter the front screen f the room and allow for a larger, more immersive image.

‘I might just switch to floor standing speakers in the front. I have heard they sound better than most in wall speakers’ - you’ve been talking to Someone who doesn’t understand movie playback systems :)

The floor stand speakers will likely sound great for the folk in the front row but not so great for the second row as the front row are going to block the sound - that’s where the In-wall/On-wall designs covering the high and mid are preferable for your room layout.

Has your Dealer put anything together with the James Loudspeaker In-wall options for you to consider/have a listen to?

Joe

Brad25

Standard Member
Display vs. Projection - both work well. Projection delivers a ‘look’ on Movies it is difficult to match with a Display and some Displays deliver features such as VRR it is difficult to match with a Projector.

Projection using an AT screen has a big advantage in terms of audio in that you can optimise the placement of the Front speaker set and by placing the speakers behind the screen you also declutter the front screen f the room and allow for a larger, more immersive image.

‘I might just switch to floor standing speakers in the front. I have heard they sound better than most in wall speakers’ - you’ve been talking to Someone who doesn’t understand movie playback systems :)

The floor stand speakers will likely sound great for the folk in the front row but not so great for the second row as the front row are going to block the sound - that’s where the In-wall/On-wall designs covering the high and mid are preferable for your room layout.

Has your Dealer put anything together with the James Loudspeaker In-wall options for you to consider/have a listen to?

Joe
No, are those good speakers?

Brad25

Standard Member
Would you recomend (1) svs PB16-Ultra Subwoofer or 2 REL 1508 Predators for subs? Strictly for movies and games no music.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Switched out the 2 REL's for a SVS PB-16 Subwoofer

Sorry saw this bit late. If possible as i said earlier with the narrow and long room buy two subwoofers as you get much smoother response over few seats and no bass localization! It`s way better experience believe me as otherwise you lose ton of impact. If you want to go with SVS products then rather consider 2x PB3000 or 2x PB4000 or 2x PC4000 over one PB16 Ultra! Also check the dimensions if you buy floorstanders you want the speakers pushed slightly toward room away from corners, but subwoofer you can have in the left corner at front (2nd at right rear corner ideally). PB16U is massive box, but also perhaps bit overpriced as there is products that offer more for less (2100$ - Monolith 16THX example) and 16 Ultra serie is going to be updated at some point maybe this year or next year latest is my guess as it came 2016!

Notice if you buy direct from SVS there is dual deal (two subs)! And you also get the 45-day free home trial and the other benefits.

Brad25

Standard Member
Sorry saw this bit late. If possible as i said earlier with the narrow and long room buy two subwoofers as you get much smoother response over few seats and no bass localization! It`s way better experience believe me as otherwise you lose ton of impact. If you want to go with SVS products then rather consider 2x PB3000 or 2x PB4000 or 2x PC4000 over one PB16 Ultra! Also check the dimensions if you buy floorstanders you want the speakers pushed slightly toward room away from corners, but subwoofer you can have in the left corner at front (2nd at right rear corner ideally). PB16U is massive box, but also perhaps bit overpriced as there is products that offer more for less (2100$ - Monolith 16THX example) and 16 Ultra serie is going to be updated at some point maybe this year or next year latest is my guess as it came 2016!

Notice if you buy direct from SVS there is dual deal (two subs)! And you also get the 45-day free home trial and the other benefits.
Thank you so much! This stuff can be super overwhelming : )

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thank you so much! This stuff can be super overwhelming : )

Here is the article where it covers the basics why two subwoofers is often recommended, you can also watch the short video clip.

The difference you get with the 4000 serie over 3000 serie is the extended mode (putting one bung in the port) so you will get some ULF bass. Also it comes with better build quality, weights ton and is available in gloss finish too. The price difference is sadly quite wild 3000$ vs. 4400$ for two subs using the dual sub discount. Bang for buck with PB3000 is better i feel and if you have never heard anything similar level before then you can´t really go wrong with this one either and finally they aren´t too massive! Again keep in mind the spots we talked about. Make sure what ever you choose fits there!

Monoprice 13 THX offers even more than PB4000 for a low 3100$ (two subs). That is why i wanted you to have a look of them. The cabinet is very deep though, but otherwise there is probably not anything at same price in US to compete with this product. It doesn´t have the "bill of rights" i linked which are built in to SVS prices. Warranty is same 5years and build quality is very high so no worries there. If you haven´t yet put the order in have a look of it cause two of these (if they fit!) would be quite amazing in your room! Make sure you use tape measure to see how big these boxes really are so it won´t come suprise and think about with the speakers is there enough space. Below is review for the 13 THX model and 2nd page has full measurements to show it´s the real deal and ideal for up to +6000cuft room.

Last edited:

Brad25

Standard Member
Here is the article where it covers the basics why two subwoofers is often recommended, you can also watch the short video clip.

The difference you get with the 4000 serie over 3000 serie is the extended mode (putting one bung in the port) so you will get some ULF bass. Also it comes with better build quality, weights ton and is available in gloss finish too. The price difference is sadly quite wild 3000$ vs. 4400$ for two subs using the dual sub discount. Bang for buck with PB3000 is better i feel and if you have never heard anything similar level before then you can´t really go wrong with this one either and finally they aren´t too massive! Again keep in mind the spots we talked about. Make sure what ever you choose fits there!

Monoprice 13 THX offers even more than PB4000 for a low 3100$ (two subs). That is why i wanted you to have a look of them. The cabinet is very deep though, but otherwise there is probably not anything at same price in US to compete with this product. It doesn´t have the "bill of rights" i linked which are built in to SVS prices. Warranty is same 5years and build quality is very high so no worries there. If you haven´t yet put the order in have a look of it cause two of these (if they fit!) would be quite amazing in your room! Make sure you use tape measure to see how big these boxes really are so it won´t come suprise and think about with the speakers is there enough space. Below is review for the 13 THX model and 2nd page has full measurements to show it´s the real deal and ideal for up to +6000cuft room.

thank you so much, I think I will have plenty of room either way but will measure once i get home tonight.

Brad25

Standard Member
Would two SVS PB-16 Subwoofers be overkill for what I am doing? Would two PB4000's or 3000's be a big downgrade?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Would two SVS PB-16 Subwoofers be overkill for what I am doing? Would two PB4000's or 3000's be a big downgrade?

It won`t be overkill if you like ton of physical bass with action/scifi/horror/war type of movies - series and more importantly listen LOUD in first place! I mean why buy Ferrari if you only drive it in the city as you can´t really enjoy what it`s made for = to be driven fast! In same way the expensive big box would go waste. If this is the case then 2x PB3000 would be surely more than fine.

It`s more of the things i mentioned like the high price vs. competition in USA (you have ton of superb options there!!). Also the fact that i know 16 Ultra is next on the line to see update and it may happen this year already. SVS has updated 1000 Pro, 2000 Pro and 3000 series so the next in line is 16U first and then 4000 serie. Real world experiences says the PB16U does sound bit different due to that massive heavy driver. Some are not fully happy with the extension as with the Monoprice 16 THX / X brands you do get even more ULF bass for much lower cost, the very lowest stuff which is probably one of the most addicting part for bass heads, but this would also mean you are listening at very loud levels to be able to feel it. However most of the bass in movies is higher so this is not something you get with every movie.

I would say if you aren`t 100% sure yet have a look of the competition, unless you want SVS subwoofer which is of course fine. In that case i would consider going with dual PB3000 cause if you feel you want something bigger later you have the SVS upgrade program which we don`t have in UK/Europe. So let´s say new PB16U is introduced within year you will be able to upgrade to it very easily and price for dual PB3000 is quite good although Mono 13 THX offers more for similar price, but you won´t get the goodies which comes with SVS (1year upgrade program, one of the best email/chat support, 45-day home trial with free return shipping etc).

Monoprice 16 THX would outperform PB16U (2900$) for 2100$ and coming close to JTR Cap 2400 (3500$) so if you are not fully sold on SVS yet...

Then you have Rythmik which is well known from superb sound quality and great performance due to Servo technology used.

Power Sound Audio is fully made in USA which is important for some folks. They use the Italian high end pro drivers and there is now low tuned vented models:

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px7 S2 wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way