is this a good setup for the money

black metal

Novice Member
Hi all I am looking to upgrade my living room I'm about to get a 65" 4k hdr tv and want to upgrade my 5.1 setup I'm thinking of getting the denon avrx2300w for it's hdr pass through as well as it's reviews and award with what hifi and looking to add some denon sys2020 but also torn on tannoy h101 i have to go for small speakers to keep the Mrs quiet plus the room is only 11ft x14ft my viewing distance is 9ft and can only fit a 5.1 speaker setup as the room is minimalist any thoughts on this thanks it

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Do you have a 5.1 system at the moment? What is your overall budget? To get the best from the 2300 you could really do with better speakers than the denon. Something like the Monitor Audio Radius range would work well with the Denon AVR.

black metal

Novice Member
Hi yes I do a sony str 540 with 15 year old sony satellite speakers and sub I'm only going for the 2300 as need hdr pass through and big speakers are big no so it doesn't leave me with many good options and budget for amp and speakers is only 600 so I'm a bit stuck

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'as need hdr pass through' - are you sure?

Which HDR enabled Sources will you be using?

Could a dedicated HDMI cable cater for your HDR enabled Source direct to the Display?

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
XB1S - have you tried using its Optical connection to the AVR?

AVR - I'd be tempted to upgrade the AVR (if you want HDR support) and continue to use your current Speakers until your budget allows for a better speaker system.

Joe

PSM1

Distinguished Member
As above. Change avr and keep current speakers. Or use the budget to upgrade the front 3 for now and then upgrade other speakers as funds allow.

black metal

Novice Member
having looked at different models richer sounds seam to advise me to ditch the denon sy2020 and go for the "canton movie 75" which I have never heard of are these any good must be someone on here who knows about these?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Two ways to approach your request - if you are in sales :)

1. Spend the budget no matter what or 2. Advise that the budget is not going to deliver an upgrade (in audio) and with a small budget for new loudspeakers you may end up losing rather than gaining on sound quality.

Once you have 'looked' at budget speaker systems agree with the folk who are recommending/supplying them that you can return them should you not like them - ideally you would go have a listen before you make a decision to purchase (accepted this is not always possible).

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom