Is this a good set

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by evs, Mar 28, 2006.

1. evs

evs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all I'm a anew member on hear:hiya:

Just looking for a bit of advice really. I have seen this set on another forum

50" Sagem Axium High Definition HD-D50H G4T for £1420

and it was highly recommended, However I'm not to sure if this is true. I dont know how long this set has been out for or even if it is better than plasma or lcd. I have heard a few suggestions of ranbow effect?? and also the viewing position has croped up.

Any advice would be great

thanks

2. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    hi evs

welcome :thumbsup:

having owned front (wall screen) projectors a few years now, i can recommend a front projector (around 100") as far better value than a plasma or rear projection tv

matt

3. bravogolf

bravogolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hi Evs,
    (Link to tele specs). Have you considering going for a projector? I had originally considering getting a large Hi-Def TV but realised I could get a bigger projector for about the same price (and it's more portable)!

4. evs

evs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really mate as my room would probs be to small for that. I think 50inch is the biggest I could get away with

5. bravogolf

bravogolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Ah ok. I had suspected my room was too big too but the projector allows a 100" image in a 3 metre rage (Sanyo Z4) :)

Still, that TV loooks lovely. Nicely specced too.

6. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    my room is pretty weird - it's almost triangular, but the longest wall is 4 metres (room is approx 3.5mx3.5m) and not only i can get around 90" screen, but i also love it !

if your room is 2mx2m, you should still easily get at least 55" screen with lens zoom (i think what i put before edit was perhaps too optimistic)

still not even thinking about it ?

7. evs

evs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its somthing I've never thought of before. Where abouts do you put the projector in the room

8. bravogolf

bravogolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Depends on your room layout. The model I'm getting, the Sanyo PLV Z4, will allow one to get a display of 100" from 3 Metres.

See this link for more information.

9. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    usually best is dead centre opposite from where you want your picture (left to right), then you have the option of mounting it high (like i do - mine is on a tall freestanding piece of furniture) this is normally referred to as ceiling, or low like on a table

it is possible to go a few degrees off centre in any direction, but the more you do this, the more wedgy your picture becomes, some projectors have keystone adjustment to compensate, but that often loses pixels from the image, which can suffer

some projectors have front to rear airflow, for these you really need one or two feet of clear space in front and especially behind, more and more pjs these days have side airflow and can be almost fitted to the wall without any gap

*it is also worth considering that a halfway decent projector (£1,500-£2,000) will produce some noise, but increasingly you won't hear anything at all unless you're using the pj as a pillow, it is also important to factor in the cost of bulbs, which last approximately 1,500 hours each and cost around £250, but without knowing for certain what your 50" was going to cost i cannot tell you which would cost more, but i suspect it would still be the plasma if that's what you were going for, plus they explode sometimes, and i know which of the two is easier to ship for repairs - the pj !

10. evs

evs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you reccomend a good plasma for under £2000 mate. 42 or 5o inch

thanks

11. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  12. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    plus i think that if you buy a plasma and then see someone elses panasonic 900 or sanyo z4 you're really gonna kick yourself extremely hard !

13. evs

evs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much will the light in my room effect the picture with the pj mate

14. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    that is exactly what my next question would have been !

the answer might put you off, but what i am telling you is my interpretation, and not twisted to make it sound better than it is...

all light that does not come out of the lens will affect the perceived contrast, but honestly, it's nothing like a problem for me, i even use mine in the day with the curtains only half closed and can make out everything fine

it is also important to note that ALL screens be they plasma or crt or whatever will suffer from this, it is simply a bit more noticeable with front projection, a plus of front projection is there are no reflections unlike a normal telly

close all the curtains, switch out all the lights, or simply wait for dark to come and you have something awesome !

sounds offputting ?...if i had a time machine and could go back and buy something other than a pj, i wouldn't, hope that helps

any questions and we're all here !

:)

15. bravogolf

bravogolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Another good point someone made is that it can only be as dark as the dark levels in your room :)

Remember, as Einstein once put it, darkness is the absence of light.

16. evs

evs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont think its for me mate. I think I would struggle to find a place for the pj and also how do you set this up with regards to your sky and av amp dvd. As they would not be near the pj sound a bit of hastle with longer wires than the norm

17. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    shame, just might be a good idea not to say yes when someone says "hey come round and see my sanyo projector - it is AWESOME !"

as far as cables go, i just switched the whole setup round so it's all behind me, every one of my remotes works by pointing it at the wall where the picture is

18. evs

evs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    might be a good idea not to say yes when someone says "hey come round and see my sanyo projector - it is AWESOME !"

lol

19. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    this is the stuff i've got behind me, so only the picture and sound are prominent in the viewing experience

the rugs and mmmagnolia are 'cos it's rented, even though i'm projecting onto mmmagnolia the screen still looks like it's being shown on white

Attached Files: