Is this a good rig for home cinema?

J

Jumping

Hello guys and gals.

I'm thinking of getting myself a homecinema amp and speakers that will go well with my Panasonic DVD player plus work well with SKY digital.

After searching through a lot of websites and looking in homecinema choice magazine, I was thinking of this set.

PIONEER HI-FI SEP AV RECIEVER SILVER VSXD811SS
FEATURES

6 Channel Dolby Digital EX AV Receiver, DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete + NEO:6, 6 x 100 watts (DIN, 8 ohms) / RDS EON tuner, 2 sets of terminals for 2 Surround Back speakers, Preamp line outputs for all channels, 7.1 channel analogue inputs, Learning remote controller, Quick & easy setup feature.

with these speakers
SAVE535H
Features:
High end 'PASCAL' surround speaker system

5.1 micro satellite speaker system and subwoofer
120W handling per satellite speaker, 150W subwoofer
Bass reflex type satellite speakers
Frequency response up to 50kHz = perfect for multi-channel Super Audio CD
57mm x 2 satellite speaker cones, nanofine tweeter for SACD
Subwoofer control (level / auto power on & off / music - movie switch)

Is this a good AMP with speakers? I can get these for £652.76
and wasn't looking to spend much more than that on my rig...maybe up to £700.

Can you guys say if this is a good setup or should I change something or both? What alternatives can you recomend within my budget?

I have been looking on some of the Yamaha offerings but not sure if they can give me a cheap 6.1 solution...

Thanks for your help
Kim

Depends on what you want the system to do.

Pioneer VSX series amps have always had a reputation for being good with action movies and not much else.

Sony Pascal speakers do tend to get very negative reviews, but if you like the sound they produce then there's no reason to go for something else.

Try to get a demo if you can.

Thanks for your info Evil

Having looked around a litle further I have found this Yamaha model RXV630RDS which looks a litle better and if I remember right Yamaha is known for a clean and pure sound...found it a very good price £372.88 recomended price on Yamaha page is £400+. So think that is the right receiver for me.

Now the question is...the speakers mentioned in the previous post are they good enough? Or can any recommend a better set? I don't really need super powerfull speakers since I think my neighbours would complain...

Kim

I used to own a Sony pascal system and when I lived in a small flat the speakers where fine, nowhere near as good as my old Kenwood UD90 midi system but ok none the less.

When I moved into a house with a larger living room they just didn't cut it. They sound small and struggle to sound any better than the inbuilt TV speakers.

Thankfully I discovered this forum and promptly sold them ;)

while the yamaha isnt the highest of high end pieces of kit, they are good enough, i think you would be seeling it somewhat short with such speakers. but this is an opinion based on what others have said....... listen to it and see.

ad

Get the Yamaha 630 amp - it is a very good intro to Home Cinema and will serve you well. It has all the latest features, sounds great with films and good with music. Avoid the Pascal speakers - they're hard and thin sounding. If you are looking for small and compact & good sound quality, see Mission FS2 speaker setup. Highly liked on this forum too. Both are available for great prices on the web. If you prefer full-range (as opposed to to sub/sat speakers) see Mission Cinema 72 or Wharfedale Diamond Cinema 8.2 or 8.3

Thanks guys

Will look into the diffrent speaker options.

Yeah I was fairly set on that Yamaha one when I found it for a good price...just hope I can afford it all now.

Kim

Pioneer VSX series amps have always had a reputation for being good with action movies and not much else.

Bit of a sweeping statement that don't you think! I currently own the Pioneer VSX909 along with the matching MX-10 power amp and find it deals with all sonic duties with flair and ease. Handles EX encoded material to great effect and the THX Ultra processing is the icing on the cake. Even the late great Bob Tomalski loved it (a review of it is on this very site)

Before you pass judgement on a product (let alone a complete range) I suggest you have a listen. You might be in for a surprise.

Cheers

Dave

Surprisingly enough that particular model is the reason for my Pioneer bias - don't get me wrong, it's a very good amp. The reason I didn't buy one was that it sounded fairly poor with music and films with a delicate sound-mix.
Or at least poor for the amount of money, whereas a similar Denon had a more pleasing sound to it.

Anyway, I'm currently saving for VSX-D2011, so what does that say about my taste in movies? :)

Well we'll have to agree to disagree on this one I think, because it's ability to pick it's way through a delicate mix is one of the things I love about it. I was only watching Bridges of Madison County last night with my wife and thought how it handled the soundtrack with aplomb. It has similar abilities when going from action scenes to quiet dialogue scenes in quick succession, nothing is missed or muddled every piece is presented with a sure footing.

Perhaps the demo you had was poorly set up? I know when I was going around looking for my amp some of the demos were so shockingly presented even the best equipment on earth would have sounded poor. As for comparison to the Denon I much preferred the Pioneers rendition of everything AV orientated. The Denon did have a lead in the Stereo stakes I can't deny that, but as I hardly ever use it for this purpose it wasn't a problem.

As we all know though, the arena that is AV is all about differing tastes, what’s one mans meat is another mans poison. If we were all the same, life would be very boring :)

Cheers

Dave

It may be worth having a listen to the Acoustic Energy Aego5 system, it fits your budget. I bought mine for 600 quid, and added a second small subwoofer (yamaha YST SW-105) for around 130 quid.

I think it's possible to get the Aego system for less now.

I'm really pleased with it: it comes with a remote-controlled decoder for DTS and 5.1, as well as having Prologic. The extra sub adds a lot of warmth, and is good for a smallish room (I've got a Victorian Semi-detached house, and it's more than adequate for the main room).

Just something else to add to your listening list, if you wish.

Originally posted by rhoamish
decoder for DTS and 5.1, as well as having Prologic.

But not PLII which you will appreciate if you watch SKY, etc.

Originally posted by Nobber22
But not PLII which you will appreciate if you watch SKY, etc.
.....and don't like a lot of bass. :p :D

I to would go for a Yammy, had quite a few in the past and they have never let me down. As for speakers you could have a look at Tannoys, MX1/MX2, very good speakers for music and movies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom