1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a good PC

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by tony kop77, Sep 22, 2004.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I recently advised one of my friends on what PC to buy. My friend had not had a PC before and knows nothing about them. I advised him to have one built rather than go into a shop such as Dixons PC World etc because it would be cheaper and the components would be better.
    My friend wanted to pay monthly rather than all in one go as he and his mrs have just had a baby. I chose this PC for them and wanted your opinions on it because one of his friends feels he should have bought a Celeron which runs just as fast as a P4 and is a lot cheaper.

I told him to avoid Celerons as they wont be as reliable and the cpu wont last as long and if he could he should go fo AMD as they give better value for money. I went into Comet and PC World and as they only had Intel in store I opted for this spec machine for £820 is this a good deal or has he paid over the odds?

P4 3GHZ
    512Mb Ram
    128Mb ATI Radeon 9200
    NEC DVD RW 2510A +,-
    160GB Hard Drive 7200rpm
    17" TFT
    No TV Tuner
    Has TV Output
    No remote
    Media Card Slots 6 in 1
    Keyboard and mouse wired, no optical mouse
    Firewire yes
    USB 4x
    Ethernet yes
    Modem 56k
    Windows XP Home
    MS Works 7.0
    Nero 6.0

I advised him not to go for package deal or a PC with a lot of software because it will mean the components wont be as good and I will advise him when he gets connected to the Internet to install SP2 along with AVG anti virus and use Windows firewall.
    It is a shame the PC did not come with a 9600 Radeon Pro and he did not get a standard dvd drive or cd drive along with the dvd re-writer but he can still back up cds with one drive by copying files to the hard drive and then copying to cd and the graphics will be ok untill at least xmas by which time I wil have bought a new one and he can have mine.

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Its a bit ****e. Certainly not top of the line.

It could do with a lot more ram, a seperate cd-rw drive, a larger hard drive, a much better gpu.

I wouldn't pay more than £400-£500 on a PC like that at the very most.

Does that come with a monitor?

3. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I thought I mentioned it came with a 17" TFT monitor sorry. I thought 160GB was plenty for a hard drive and 512mb I thought would be sufficent. Only weak point is graphics card i thought and although a second drive would have been nice the drive he has got will do everything he wants.

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    It depends if he wants to play the latest games on it or not.

TBH half a gig of ram is nothing for games like Doom 3, Sims 2, HL2, etc etc, if you want it running at anything approaching good.

Especially if that is only a celeron processor.

Might as well have a stick of celery as a cpu! :thumbsdow

5. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Sorry lol I prob did not explain myself in the first post. My friend saw some Celrons but I told him to stay clear of them because they wont run as fast even if it did say 2.6GHZ and I told him the cpu wont be as reliable and wont last as long. One of his friends told him he should have bought a Celeron because they run the same speed and are cheaper.
    I wanted to buy an AMD for him but the shop only had Intel. The proccesor he bought was a P4 Intel 3GHZ, I think there are only about 3 cpus faster than that.

I have 512 ram in my PC and Doom 3 and Sims 2 work fine though I have a Radeon 9500 pro granted but I only have a 2500 Barton while he has a 3GHZ P4.

6. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    By the way it is their first PC they wanted it to edit photos and store family photos transfer it to cd etc and to surf the net while playing the odd game. I felt it would be best to buy what they can afford rather than buy a really cheap one and find it wont run anything 9 months down the line.
    I think the only thing that would need changing in the next 16 months is their grapahics card.

7. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Celerons are no less reliable or less longevity wise than a P4 - they are simply slower at the same clock rate due to smaller on-chip caches.

If someones planning on buying a PC and is worried about buying from a smaller online dealer - ie wants to buy a full package from a reputable firm .... its usually far better to get a PC from someone like DELL than the High Street chain stores in terms of build quality, expertise and after sales service.
    I love the 'PC experts' in those stores - utter muppets without a clue - they can turn on a PC and use a word processor so that qualifies them to advise people on Technology purchases ;)

Alot of computers for sale have package deals with lots of bundled software - from what I have seen, you are getting a slower less spec'd PC with mostly out of date, useless software that hardly anyone uses - than getting a better PC without all the added rubbish.

8. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    god yeah the 'experts' in pc world only try to push the item which gives them the most commission, doesn't matter if its a pile of crap, they'll make out its the best thing ever created..

they sold a director in our company a really crappy projector, and the salesman said that because it had a good contrast ratio it meant it was better quality than most projectors.. pq was bloody awful!

as for your pc spec, it isn't as bad as the person who said it was sh*te made out, but it's true it's no world beater. 512mb IS enough, 160gb HDD space IS enough, 3ghz P4 IS enough, but the GFX card will do nothing for you at all. You need at least a geforce FX 5700 or Radeon 9800 graphics card to be able to run the latest line of games, such as Doom 3, Far Cry, Sims 2, and the upcoming games such as half life 2. Saying this, obviously more ram and hdd space will never be a bad thing if you can afford it.

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    For the money he spent, that is a terrible computer.

I bought my PC about 18 months ago now for £800 including a 20" monitor, 120GB HD, 512MB DDR400 ram, AMD 2700+, ATI RADEON 9700. My pc is almost as good as that, and cost the same price, but almost two years ago!

10. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Never trust PC shop assistants, they only want to push the most expensive systems to make money.
    The truth is, unless your gonna game, then the specs u choose are more than enough for most PC users.
    The most demanding software out there tends to be graphics intensive stuff.

For Digital photography, video editing and internet they have enough!
    Did you get them word and excel? thats something they might find useful! :thumbsup:

You did well my young padawan! :lesson:

.....gotta lay off the starwars! :suicide:

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I agree that this probably wasn't the best purchase for 820 quid.

From Novatech you could have got a PC with a similar spec for 620 quid, enough money to upgrade the graphics card.

2.0GHz AMD Athlon 64 3000

512MB PC3200 400MHz DDR RAM

120GB Serial ATA 7200rpm 8MB Cache

256MB DDR GeForce FX5200

DVD-ROM Drive

5.1 6-Channel Capable Sound

1 x RJ45 Network Port (10/100)

56K Modem

As for hard disk space, why do you need such a large HD? I have had my 80Gb HD for ages and I am not even close to filling it up. The only way you need ridiculous amounts of space is if you have an addiction to downloading warez that you never use :p

12. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    yeah dammit, my 240gb is all but used up, had to buy myself another 50 dvds yesterday!

and in response to games guru, yes you are right that the price he paid was OTT, but it's still not a terrible pc regardless of the money spent on it; it's not like it's gonna be an £800 doorstop, he will get a good amount of use out of it, apart from with the latest games.

13. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I know I could have got him a cheaper system from a small retailer but he could only afford a PC by paying it in monthly installments.

14. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    tbh that pc spec is way way to exspensive. you'd be looking at 400 - 500 if it got build from scratch. shows you what people like comet make on it and there service is about as good a a pair of sunglasses on a man with one ear

15. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I recomended a PC to my cousin he coudl afford to pay it cash and this is what he is getting from CCL computers.

19" CTX Executive Range Monitor
    Case: Silver Nokia Style Midi Tower
    Mainboard: Asus A7N8X-X
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    RAM: 512MB DDR 333
    HDD: 160GB Hitachi Deskstar
    Floppy: 3.5" Drive
    Card Reader: NewLink 7-in-1 Multifunction
    Graphics: 128MB ATI Radeon 9600XT
    Keyboard: Microsoft Multimedia
    Mouse: Microsoft Optical Wheelmouse
    DVD±RW: NEC ND2500A DVD±RW
    DVD-ROM: Sony DVD-ROM
    Sound: Integrated 6-channel Audio
    Speakers: Creative 5.1 P580 Surround
    Modem: 56k Internal PCI
    Network: Integrated 10/100 LAN
    Software: Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD, Panda Platinum Antivirus, Ability Office 2002
    Warranty: One Year Onsite, Parts & Labour, and a further Two Years Return-to-base, Labour only.

£700 Including VAT.

I know the Comet one is expensive but I was limited on shops as they could only pay monthly and they wanted to buy a PC on Sunday and did not want to wait a week or two and look around, not my fault :(.

16. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081

i just priced up all the parts seperately (a couple of substitutions) and not including software/warranty/card reader, it comes to £583 so you're not being too ripped off!