• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Is this a good idea?

KamSandhu44

Hi all,

Early next year I will be tearing down the ceiling in my living area. I will take this oppurtunity to ceiling mount a projector screen.

This are the screens I am considering

In-ceiling Tab Tensioned Projector Screens | Tab Tensioned Projector Screens

either the 106" or 120" depending what I can fit.

Now, due to budget constraints I have no plans on buying the projector until late next year or even 2017.

My thinking is, it would be nice to have the screen fitted while work is being done.

I've read in places that projectors are dictated by screen and room size, would I cause myself more issues by fitting the screen before deciding on a projector?

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
You can match the pj (when you get it) to the screen using throw calculators, so that will make sure the pj will fit the screen unless you have a very small room and a very large screen. How far from the screen to where the pj will go?

Also, screen technology doesn't really change much, but projectors get better and/or cheaper as time goes by, so it's always better the get the pj when the room is ready and not before.

If you buy the pj now, it will lose value, the warranty will start to run out, and there will be something better by the time you get to use it. It may also be cheaper in 2017 when you're in a position to buy. You could end up selling the pj before you've even used it to get something better - UHD and UHD compatibility will be more settled by 2017, so that will be something to wait for as well.

Gary

KamSandhu44

You can match the pj (when you get it) to the screen using throw calculators, so that will make sure the pj will fit the screen unless you have a very small room and a very large screen. How far from the screen to where the pj will go?

Also, screen technology doesn't really change much, but projectors get better and/or cheaper as time goes by, so it's always better the get the pj when the room is ready and not before.

If you buy the pj now, it will lose value, the warranty will start to run out, and there will be something better by the time you get to use it. It may also be cheaper in 2017 when you're in a position to buy. You could end up selling the pj before you've even used it to get something better - UHD and UHD compatibility will be more settled by 2017, so that will be something to wait for as well.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I only intend to by the screen now, I will buy the projector once the setup is complete, it will be the last piece.

The projector will be approx 4 - 5 meters from the screen.

KamSandhu44

lukeredpath

Makes sense to get the screen fitted at the same time - are you going to do any soundproofing at the same time?

The only thing I'd say is it would drive me a bit crazy having a PJ screen fitted knowing I can't use it :)

KamSandhu44

Makes sense to get the screen fitted at the same time - are you going to do any soundproofing at the same time?

The only thing I'd say is it would drive me a bit crazy having a PJ screen fitted knowing I can't use it :)

No soundproofing, don't really need and will just add cost to the project.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom