Question Is this a good gaming PC?

Noxiii

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm new here,

I was hoping I could get some opinions on weather this PC I have found is a good buy, I'm looking to buy a pre-built PC (hopefully one that can be upgraded if need be in the future) because I do not trust myself to assemble it. I have been a long time gamer and am now in the position to be able to buy a PC that will actually give me a good gaming experience.

I'm hoping to get a gaming PC that will be able to play most, if not all games on ultra with a high FPS at atleast 1080 if not 4k. I also want be able to use it for VR gaming too as that seems to be the future?

This is the PC I'm looking:
TSM Champion Edition 300
or:
Hyper Liquid 700
or maybe:
Infinity Xtreme SLI 1070Ti Gaming PC

I don't think I know enough about modern PC hardware to make an educated evaluation.

That is also the sort of price I was looking to spend, I would spend a little bit more if it meant greater performance, I'm hoping this price range will be high enough to get me everything I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Is there a reason why your looking at the i7 7800x and x299 mobo ? are you going to do some video or photo editing ?
if all your doing is gaming , have a look for the i7 8700k or even the i5 8600k with a Z370 mobo
16gb of ram with a gtx 1080 ti
the i7 7800x is last gens line of CPU where as the i7 8700k and i5 8600k is this gens line of CPU's
and could work out cheaper but give you the same performance when it comes to gaming .
The 7800x ( skylakeX) has it own platform , and can only be upgraded to i9 skylakeX - and those are stupid and a waste of money - if all you doing is gaming

The GTX 1080ti is the top spec GPU at the moment , ( but there is new line of GPU's coming out soon 1180 or 2080 ( what ever their decide to call them so might be worth too wait a little while ) .

The PC that has the gtx 1070 ti in it , with struggle to play games at 4k ( i know i have one)
but at 1440p it will do just fine

Even the 1080ti can struggle to play some games at 4k too ( i know, i have one of them too )
but it can handle games a lot better than the 1070 ti ...

Are you saying this:
Hyper Liquid GTX

Would be better as it has a i7 8700K and GTX 1080 Ti with Z370 mobo and 16gb of ram?

Btw there's no specific reason I was looking at i7 7800x, the PC will be solely used for gaming, I just don't know too much about hardware and those PCs seemed to be sort of thing I should be looking for and some had decent reviews.

Yea that one will do the job , but it's water cooled !!! , is that something you want ?
it would be a lot cheaper if you just went with an air cooled system , ( same parts )
what i mean by this , is the CPU has a heat sink and fan , and the gtx 1080 ti GPU will have it's stock fan shroud .

nothing wrong with a water cooled system , in fact the PC will run better and quieter , but it's a lot maintenance to look after for your 1st PC ....

Yea that one will do the job , but it's water cooled !!! , is that something you want ?
it would be a lot cheaper if you just went with an air cooled system , ( same parts )
what i mean by this , is the CPU has a heat sink and fan , and the gtx 1080 ti GPU will have it's stock fan shroud .

nothing wrong with a water cooled system , in fact the PC will run better and quieter , but it's a lot maintenance to look after for your 1st PC ....

I was hoping for something that is as quiet as possible and if it runs better than that is again something id be interested in. Is a liquid cooled system really
a lot of maintenance? Something I'll struggle with?

What is your budget?

No fixed number but I'd probably say around £3000 at most.

I was hoping for something that is as quiet as possible and if it runs better than that is again something id be interested in. Is a liquid cooled system really
a lot of maintenance? Something I'll struggle with?
It can be , it depends what fluid is in the loop , if it has clear coolant then you may have to change it once a year , but if it's coloured and or has something like "primochill's vue" <which i doubt it will have , as that is a enthusiasts kind of coolant - then this will need changing often , as the particles within the fluid can clog up the CPU and GPU blocks which will need cleaning out so that the fluid flows as it should do ,
that may sound easy cleaning it out !, the hard part is knowing how too !!
you will have to drain out the loop , then run distilled water through it for a while ( or use some kind of cleaning kit ) , take it all apart and give it a good clean , put it back together and refill it again ,
or if the loop becomes damaged and starts leaking , your going to need to know how to fix it ,
and if it does leak it could damage the GPU or mobo , which will cost you money to replace ...
all this is something you need and should know ( i think ) before venturing in custom water cooling

have a good look through youtube , jayztwocents has some good videos and how to look after your custom loop .

Ahhh that does sound like a whole thing, I will do some YouTube searches like you recommend before making a decision, I don't really care for coloured fluid myself so the clear would definitely be better. Just a quick question would the PC you agreed would be suitable for my needs also be good for current VR games with room for improvement in VR games?

I am currently using an 8700k with a corsair h100v2 water cooler and running overclocked at 5.1mhz on an asrock z370 board. I built my latest machine for less than £2k and is a higher spec machine than the ones you have listed.

The H100V2 is a sealed water cooler unit and so does not need any maintenance.

Honestly for £2k, you can do a lot better imo.

Building your own PC is scary but honestly it's not hard, there are a lot of tutorials out there. I'd even be happy to built someone a PC and save them some pennies.

Last edited:
Ahhh that does sound like a whole thing, I will do some YouTube searches like you recommend before making a decision, I don't really care for coloured fluid myself so the clear would definitely be better. Just a quick question would the PC you agreed would be suitable for my needs also be good for current VR games with room for improvement in VR games?
Yea the one you linked , will be fine.:smashin:
they are all high end parts and will do just fine for the next few years .
As dollag has said , you could probably get a better or could cost you less if you built it your self ,( all been air cooled that is )
it may look daunting , but TBH it's like putting lego together ,
have a look building a pc on youtube , you may find it easy ...

Parts

8700k CPU £300
16gb Ram £200
z370 MB £200
1080ti GPU £650
PSU £100
500gb m.2 £150
Misc £50
Case £100
H100 CPU cooler £100

Total £1850

Parts

8700k CPU £300
16gb Ram £200
z370 MB £200
1080ti GPU £650
PSU £100
500gb m.2 £150
Misc £50
Case £100
H100 CPU cooler £100

Total £1850

Hmmm maybe I should look at assembling it myself, my brother is looking to do the same thing but the very thought of it makes me nervous, I'm not good with fiddly things haha

It’s really not fiddly. Honestly have a look at a couple tutorials and you’ll see how easy it is

Do you know any good sites where I could buy all/most of these parts at the same time?

Personally , i would drop M.2 drive and just for a standard 500gb SSD and save a few quid ...
M.2 ssd look nice and save space , but in the real world your not going to see much difference between the M.2 and SSD , ( got one of them too haha :D - would i just use a standard SSD ? , yea i would )
but really !! your not going to see a great deal of a difference between them ( i'm talking seconds if that when it comes to loading games )
and using a M.2 you normally loose the last 2 sata ports on the mobo as well which is normally number 5/6
not a big deal if you only have 4 drives , but if you ever want to add more your not going to be able to use them....
240/500gb SSD and a 2 tb HDD will do you just fine ....

Whats the network card for ?
don't need one , just use the one on the mobo

Change the ram to 2x8gb instead of one 16gb ....
:)

Don't forget W10 licence too ( or what ever version your going to use )

buy Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM CD-KEY GLOBAL in scdkey

you will need to download the ISO file from microsoft here :
Download Windows 10
from an other PC on to a flash drive no less than 8gb
click the "download tool now" button and follow the instructions
then use the code from scdkeys to activate W10 after it is installed .

what money you can save , you can buy a 2tb hdd for all your games and whatnots

other than that , it looks all good :smashin:

Cool I'll get a Seagate 2TB drive to go with it, there won't be able problems with everything fitting in the tower should there? I tried to get a tower with a fairly large dimensions to avoid any issues with it fitting.

Looks like I need to start watching on videos of how to assemble all this!

Cool I'll get a Seagate 2TB drive to go with it, there won't be able problems with everything fitting in the tower should there? I tried to get a tower with a fairly large dimensions to avoid any issues with it fitting.

Looks like I need to start watching on videos of how to assemble all this!
Na ,all looks good :smashin:

looks good to me; the msi 1080ti is £100 more than the evga. Not too sure on the difference but could save an additional £100 there

As someone who isn’t especially techy (not compared to some on here anyway), I built my own pc a few years ago. Followed a few online guides. Important to find good ones! But it was fine and I really enjoyed it. It’s not really fiddly as such, you just need to be careful, take your time and work slowly.

You’ll be fine - enjoy!

Ps I decided not to go water cooled. Might be fine for some people, but to my mind liquid and electronics don’t mix. Too many horror stories..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom