Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by bowenjones, Dec 24, 2006.

1. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Please excuse my ignorance as I haven't kept up with flatpanel lcd/plasma tv technology.
    My mother-in-law is on the lookout for a 37" plasma. Her budget is £1000 max and she would like to get a black framed one. Curry's have a sale starting tonight and this grabbed my attention. I know it's a bit bigger than she wants but she has quite a spacious lounge and the extra size won't matter imo. The silver might be an issue but I think she will like it once I show her a picture and the fact that it only comes with a table top stand won't matter as she'll be putting it on a cabinet.
    Is this a good tv? As technology moves so fast nowadays, is there anything better out there (she prefers plasma but if the picture is that much better I think she would consider LCD) that is an improvement on this but still within her £1000 limit.
    I apologise for asking a question that has probably cropped up a thousand times but with the sales starting, I think that now is the time for my mother-in-law to get one.

2. dowzer

dowzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Using codes bppod10 & prfreedel will reduce price to £809.10 including delivery!! I have been waiting til after Christmas for this model and am so tempted to grab this now.

3. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Thanks for the codes dowzer, will run it past her later :thumbsup:

4. Steve-O 2007

Steve-O 2007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Grab it now (Just incase it goes up in price) then if it drops in price cancel your order and buy it at the cheaper price :) With currys you get upto 7 days After you receive the product to return it in "As New" condition for a full refund :)

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    By LAW you have 7 days to return goods sold unseen (ie over the net or mail order but you can be charged a restocking fee and postage wont be cheap

6. David1943

David1943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would appear a bit odd taking it back for a refund and then immediately buying another one from the same retailer!

David :)

7. Keyman

Keyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not too familiar with long distance selling law but I thought no restocking fee can be charged when the 7 days rejection is exercised. I believe you will loose postage for definite. This is why a lot of company do not do free delivery any more. In fact some company may bump up the delivery fee and lower the product cost to stop people sending things back.

8. Steve-O 2007

Steve-O 2007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, but if you buy from Currys online you can return it to the Currys Store which = NO postage fee :)

9. UKBOY

UKBOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Sale of goods act states that even the postage you paid when the retailer sent you the item, also has to be refunded.
    So the only postage you would ever pay would be if you couldnt/chose not to return it to a local store and instead sent it back to the retailers head office/return address.

They CANNOT charge you a restocking fee.

Some retailers may argue about not being able to re-sell an item that you return as they may not consider it to be in "as new condition", but provided you keep the packaging,polystyrene etc, they wont have much to argue about and only a local manager (who's job it is to try and tell you they know more about sale of goods act/distance selling regs than you do) is likely to give you any grief.

Simply politely stick to your guns and explain that they may wish to take a moment and properly read the terms of the distance selling regs, which are clearly available on the net and they will be forced to concede that their only option if they wish to avoid trading standards and/or a costly visit to the local court, would be for them to refund your money,including the initial postage paid.

Apologies for the lack of punctuation.

10. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Thanks for all the replies guys :thumbsup:
    I've just ordered my mother-in-law the 37PX60B from Dixons as it has also been reduced. She thought that the 42" would be too big. Managed to get it for £788 delivered with a discount code and she should have it next Tuesday :)

11. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Good stuff :)
    Remember to run it in :)

12. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Thanks ash :smashin:
    Could someone tell me more about running it in or point me in the direction of a thread that explains this. Cheers :)

13. Keyman

Keyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Abstract of long distance selling regulation on OFT UK government web site

You must refund the consumer's money as soon as possible and, at the latest, within 30 days of receiving the written notice of cancellation. The consumer may, at your discretion, be charged the direct cost of returning the goods, but you must tell them about this in the written information you give them.

YOU CAN BE CHARGED POSTAGE BOTH WAYS.

14. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +561
    I just ordered the same thing with ped stand for just under £720 delivered from Currys using the discount code. Also coming on Tuesday with any luck. You may want to see if you can cancel your order and try Currys instead.

15. Keyman

Keyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The article acutally meant you will be charged sending the item back.

No restocking fee allows if you have look after the product even if product has been opened

16. Keyman

Keyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought, check for purple snake within 7 days.

If it is there, reject the curse with written notification.

17. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    First thing to do is go into the service menu to make sure it is not USED, so use the tecnhique to check how many hours the screen has.

I'll tell you what settings to use if you dont mind
    Switch to Cinema mode from Dynamic. Dyynamic is evil.
    Then put the colour, brightness and contrast 6 to the left. Put sharpness 2 left, turn MPEGNR and the other garble to Off. Maybe try Warm or Normal for temperature, personal preference.

18. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Thanks mate :thumbsup:. Will print out your information and use it to set up :)
    Keyman, I'll be checking for snakes and other faults but I beleive that any problems that occur within 28 days will allow me to reject the tv and get a refund.
    Timmy C, thanks for pointing that out but it's ordered now and it's not my money anyway. Just don't tell my mother-in-law :laugh:

19. Keyman

Keyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Within 7 days, it does not have to be a fault. You can reject/cancel order simply because you do not want it.

After 7 days to 28 days, your rejection has to be based on a fault, which I believe at the moment the purple snake is not acknowledge by panny as a fault.

I will do a anti-snake spell here for you now, FREE.

no purple snake, no purple snake, no purple snake, no purple snake, no purple snake..........:D

20. Keyman

Keyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be accurate, my interpretation as follow:

Within 7 working days, you can cancel order for no reasons, you may have to pay return delivery cost depending on contract.

Up to 28 days (period is not actually specify by law), you can reject this TV with manufacturing fault. Yo do not need to cover any delivery and return charge at all.

If you think it is easy to get the snake accepted as a fault, look at fellow members. They have 12 months warranty. They are almost getting a petition together.