: is this a good deal?

Scanlonwho

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello there,
At my local store they're sellling Pioneer Sc-lx58 for £389 and also selling Onkyo 747 for £359 both under £400. Which one should I go for ? I am looking to upgrade my Onkyo 607.

Many thanks

It is a good deal for the Pioneer if the fact that it doesn't appear to be HDCP 2.2 compliant is not a deal breaker for you.

If you are able to get around that fact (which need not be too big an issue depending on your setup) then you are getting a very good receiver for the money. Those ESS Sabre 32 Dacs in it are high end and usually seen on the top Yamaha models as well.

The Onkyo is HDCP 2.2 compliant so that could be an important enough feature to take it over the Pioneer.

I haven't heard an Onkyo receiver in quite a while so can't really comment on their performance. I did own a Pioneer SC-LX5* or similar receiver a few years ago and it gave a terrific surround performance. If you can I would recommend listening to both. However feature set may dictate your choice of one over the other.

I'd probably also recommend you listen to a Denon X2300W which is in the same ballpark price wise.

Thank you for your advice.
I heard it easy to get around the issue of HDCP 2.2, I believe most 4k Players have two HDMI's. One for picture and the other for audio so in theory I should be able to bypass it.

It shouldn’t be much of an issue for me.

I did decide to go for the SCLX58 after quick chat with the manger at the store, I manage to knock him down to 389 with 2 years guarantee.

What speakers would you recommended I currently have Tannoy 5.1 Efx ?

Thank you for your advice.
I heard it easy to get around the issue of HDCP 2.2, I believe most 4k Players have two HDMI's. One for picture and the other for audio so in theory I should be able to bypass it.

Exactly, pretty much all UHD Blu Ray players have two HDMI outs, one of which is 2.0a and the other 1.4 for sound to a non HDCP2.2 compliant receiver. I suppose some may have dual 2.0a - I don't think you would need one with a 1.4 output.

I think people normally recommend that you can spend two to three times as much on speakers as the partnering electronic equipment. Given it is easily a £1k receiver spending £2k - £3k on speakers I don't think would be totally unreasonable to get the best from the receiver.

That being said you absolutely don't have to spend anywhere near that much if you don't want to. If you are looking for advice with regards to speakers best to give us a budget, what your listening habits are and the type of setup you want (e.g. 5.1, 7.1, 7.1.4). Probably also best to make a post in the "What Speakers Should I Buy" section of this forum now you have the receiver sorted. You'll probably get a better response in there :).

Thank you for your advice! :)
I have everything set up now I could not be more happier, The only issue having can’t seem to get my Subwoofer to work. My Subwoofer is fine during speaker Set-up stage but during Movie or music I get nothing. Must be something I’m doing wrong or maybe need to update the Subwoofer.

Great Idea,
I’ll make a "What Speakers Should I Buy" post soon then I’ll hope to see you over there with your recommendation.

The only issue having can’t seem to get my Subwoofer to work. My Subwoofer is fine during speaker Set-up stage but during Movie or music I get nothing.

Hmm - I would definitely check to make sure that you have told the receiver to "use" the subwoofer. Sometimes in speaker setup there is an option to use it or not. Also in speaker setup (or similar on a Pioneer - not used one in quite awhile) there should be an option of playing a test tone. Normally you use this to check speaker levels but in this case it would be interesting to see if the subwoofer channel does output some sound.

You can probably also check the subwoofer channel level. Might be worth notching it up a few db if that makes a difference.

Also worth checking whether it has set your speakers as Large or Small. Bass management is only used for small speakers. This is where any bass on that channel is directed to the subwoofer when it is below a certain frequency. Typically if using a sub you would manually set all your speakers to small (if the auto-eq hasn't already done this) and set a crossover of 80hz or higher depending on your speaker capability. I don't really know anything about the capabilities of your Tannoy system but if the speakers are a little on the small side it might be worth starting with a crossover of 100hz instead.

I don't know exactly what options you have on the back of your sub. Normally they would be set to LFE mode. The Lo level set between 10 - 12 o'clock. If it has a high level I assume you are not using it so I typically set this at minimum or off. The frequency contour should be set to bypass or max (or 120hz if neither are an option). Phase set to zero.

Just a few thoughts that might help you troubleshoot your subwoofer issue.

Good luck and I hope you get it working! :)

yes - I can safely report everything is working now!
After playing around with setting I manage to store everything out. The menu can be confusing at times but got there in the end.
Just need new speakers and TV now :D
Once again thankyou for your advice and help. Much appreciated. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom