Is This A Good Deal ??

messenger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Just need some reassuring that this is a good deal or not?

I had to return my Nvidia GTX 295 to ASUS for repair as it was overheating, 1 month later they inform me it has been replaced. So in todays mail I find they've replaced my GTX 295 for a GTX480, is this a fair exchange?

On the plus side its a DX11 card of a more modern design & fat heat pipe sticking out the top, on the downside it has less Ram (GTX295 1.8gb/GTX480 1.536gb) but I can only imagine performance is pretty much the same due to the better design & plenty more transistors on the GTX480.

What do you think guys?

which 480? Does it have a decent cooler on?

I don't know what the 295 is like but i had a 480 before my 580 and overclocked it was a beast. It ran pretty much all games maxed out, was a little noisy bugger though.

I wouldn't say memory was much of an issue either really, even at high res it would only be effected on the really demanding games.

My card has 1.563 and runs most games maxed with decent aa at 2560x1440.

Not sure i would be happy personally. Not because the 480 is a bad card but rather it should be like for like? If you bought the highest end dual card that generation i.e the 295 then surely you should have that replaced with the highest end dual GPU this generation whatever card that is.

Looks like the reference cooler btw

Last edited:
Not sure i would be happy personally. Not because the 480 is a bad card but rather it should be like for like? If you bought the highest end dual card that generation i.e the 295 then surely you should have that replaced with the highest end dual GPU this generation whatever card that is.

Thats kinda what I feel really, not sure if I should go back to them with yet another complaint?

Thats kinda what I feel really, not sure if I should go back to them with yet another complaint?
Not sure it will get you anywhere as i'm not sure what Asus are like. Plus i think the 480 is actually a faster card, not sure though, maybe someone else can confirm. So in a way you have gained but i would not be happy personally, i would want a direct replacemnt. The least i would accept would be a 580

Not sure it will get you anywhere as i'm not sure what Asus are like. Plus i think the 480 is actually a faster card, not sure though, maybe someone else can confirm. So in a way you have gained but i would not be happy personally, i would want a direct replacemnt. The least i would accept would be a 580

Again that was the model I had in the back of my head as a replacement but as performance is probably slightly better on the 480 im really not sure I'll get anywhere complaining.

I'll fire up Crysis 2 in a while & see how that performs compared to my old 295.

see if they would give you cash value instead, and weight it up..but tbh I would be happy with the 480, if i had the right gear to make use of it ofcourse..

The GTX480 is a better card in every area compared to the GTX295... so you've got yourself a good DX11 upgrade for free.

Great deal if you ask me.

The GTX480 is a better card in every area compared to the GTX295... so you've got yourself a good DX11 upgrade for free.

Great deal if you ask me.

Thanks mate, i've been playing a few games now & it's been better on every game in every way so far... & I am very pleased with it's performance compared to my GTX 295 :smashin:

have to agree with Eiren, it might not be a dual GPU card, but it is an excellent card and will thoroughly mince almost anything you throw at it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom