Is this a good deal, or should I be wary?

sedalbis

Hey,

So we're currently on O2 broadband. We've been on it for about 6 years and never had a problem.

Obviously, as everyone now knows, Sky have bought out O2 broadband, which is due to switch over in the next couple of months.

We currently pay:
£16(ish) a month for line rental with BT, which includes any time calls to landline numbers.
£13 a month for the O2 broadband (after a slight discount for being on O2 mobile too). Our O2 broadband is truly unlimited. We took it out years ago when they still offered this service, and we have never changed it.
So in total that's around £29 a month.

I've just come off the phone with Sky and they have offered me the following deal to switch over to them right now:
Sky unlimited broadband, Sky line rental, any time calls to landlines, any time calls to 22 international destinations, Sky+ HD with all the channels bar the movies and sports.
They are offering all this for £19.50 a month for 12 months, with absolutely no installation or equipment fees.
So that's at least £9.50 a month cheaper than what we are paying now, but with the addition of Sky+ HD and any time international calls.
After the first year, the price goes up to something silly like £58 a month, but they have promised 100% that after this time we can cancel the TV stuff and just keep the broadband, line rental and any time calls for £29.50 a month, which is pretty much exactly the same as we are paying now anyway.
(Also, I imagine that when we try to cancel the TV after 12 months, they will offer some sort of deal again for us to keep it?)

So is this too good to be true? Should I go for it? Are Sky known for providing a good service? Or are they renowned for being terrible? Any advice?

Thanks in advance :)

mr. shr

Sounds like a good deal to me.
More than you're getting now for less money. Only 12 month commitment and when that's over you can cancel everything if they don't give you a deal you're happy with.
Nothing wrong with Sky as long as you're a full on customer. I used to be. Cancelled tv about 6 months ago and kept phone/bb. But my router is now failing (wifi not working) and they're not interested in helping anymore so I'm jumping to BT.

But for you, as a new customer, I think you'll be fine.

AndyStella

Novice Member
I'm with sky currently, I have unlimited broadband, sky+HD basic tv package (we pay for the movies as extra nothing else) and phone line for just under £70. They installed everything for free, satellite, hd box and router. So if your getting it for that price it's a good deal!

If I remember correctly (my other half did it) once you sign up you have to complete the first year before cancelling, if it helps I've had no problems and would happily recommend their service, the price you get as well, what have you got to lose?

Hope this helps!

Andy

sedalbis

Decided to go for it. Paid the line rental up front too which knocked about £60 off the total cost over the year. Happy days!

DJWhiteWolf

Novice Member
Decided to go for it. Paid the line rental up front too which knocked about £60 off the total cost over the year. Happy days!
I've just called them and got the same deal, well happy. :thumbsup:

siblades: when did they give you the details about paying the line rental up front? Would love to save another £60 :)

WW :cool:

GeeZus

Just ring back and tell them you wanna pay a year's line rental upfront and they'll do it. It works out at 119.60 or thereabouts

ukaudiophile

Hello,

I've been an O2 broadband customer for around 4 years, with a BT phone line, and I've been very happy with the O2 broadband package, I must have suggested O2 to at least a dozen friends, relatives and clients over that time, all of whom have moved over to them. I was contacted by Sky yesterday with the exact same package as the OP, so I've gone with this also. My only concern is that I use a third party router (a Draytek) for my O2 service, so I don't know if I can use this with Sky, but I should know in around 2 weeks time when it all moves over. Like siblades I was promised I can cancel after 12 months with nothing more to pay. The way I see it, it's free Sky TV for a year and a free Sky Box, and at the end of the year I can always go over to a free to air card ancontinue using the box, but I know Sky will always put a deal on the table to keep customer churn down, so who knows.

Siblades: Thanks for the tip on the year's line rental up front, will definitely give them a call tomorrow on that one.

I'll keep you all posted as to how the Sky broadband pans out.

Dave

ukaudiophile

Are sky not giving you a router then?
Hello,

Yes, Sky will be supplying their own router, but the Draytek is used for work as it has a VPN client built in to give me secure access to the company network. Most home routers do not have VPN clients built in, hence the use of the Draytek. I will certainly use the Sky router for a few days just to see how good it is as a router and what kind of functionality it brings, but ultimately I will want to use the Draytek as my router on this connection.

Thanks and best wishes,

Dave

mr. shr

I'm sure the techie minds on here will be able to assist with configuring your proper router to do the job of the sky one.
If so, maybe you could use the sky one as an AP repeater to extend your WiFi? This is ideal if you have a section in you house that doesn't get good WiFi coverage?

ukaudiophile

Hello,

Sounds like a good idea to reuse the Sky router as a AP repeater, I'm sure we all have those Wi-Fi blackspots in our homes.

I'll keep you posted how I get on with this, the install for the Sky HD Box is on Sunday, the router and internet should be up and running the following week.

Best wishes,

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom