Is this a good deal on a used Sony 760es?

abs

My friend has been offered a sony 760es laser projector for 5k, 1500 hrs and 3.5 years old so out of warranty. I've told him I wouldn't bother as it's a lot of money to drop on a projector without warranty. What do others think? Thanks in advance.

kbfern

Distinguished Member

Sounds expensive but considering they were £15k at launch perhaps not such a bad deal. Don't forget this is a Laser pj so 1500hrs is barely run in,they are good for 20k hrs.

If they could haggle them down a bit I think it could be a decent bargain.

kbfern

Distinguished Member

It might be worth checking if they got prime support warranty extension with the pj which gives an extra 2 years.

abs

mb3195

Distinguished Member
That’s cheap!!!

panman40

Distinguished Member

Sounds expensive but considering they were £15k at launch perhaps not such a bad deal. Don't forget this is a Laser pj so 1500hrs is barely run in,they are good for 20k hrs.

If they could haggle them down a bit I think it could be a decent bargain.
I suppose it depends on if the laser was used in low lamp or high lamp for those 1500 hrs ?.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I suppose it depends on if the laser was used in low lamp or high lamp for those 1500 hrs ?.
Doesn’t work this way on the laser. You don’t get high or low lamp, just a % against full brightness. Will still last 20,000 hours on 100% though.

panman40

Distinguished Member
Doesn’t work this way on the laser. You don’t get high or low lamp, just a % against full brightness. Will still last 20,000 hours on 100% though.
That’s basically what I meant, so what I’ve been reading is wrong then ?, a laser used full time at 100% brightness will still have the same half life brightness as one used at say 70% ?. That’s good to know.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
That’s basically what I meant, so what I’ve been reading is wrong then ?, a laser used full time at 100% brightness will still have the same half life brightness as one used at say 70% ?. That’s good to know.
This one in question only had 1500 hours on it, so brightness wouldn’t have changed at all regardless of laser power used.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
@abs has your friend been offered or had a demo of the pj at all. Personally if I was looking for a new pj in the £5k bracket and this came up I would have a demo and as long as it was not my last £5k and could easily afford it I would go for it pal.

Sure it could have a fault down the line and if you had to fork out a grand or so it would still make it a decent buy. Any used pj is going to be a risk regarding repairs as warranties are not usually transferable other than Epson.

He could spend the extra grand or so and get a JVC N5 new with warranty or a low end Sony so that is the reality.

Ricky was advertising the last of the Sony non laser 270's for £4k new that is about your cheapest option for a native 4k pj.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
This is a bargain mate. No doubt about it. Pair it with MADVR HTPC or a Lumagen and you're at near reference level PQ.

An equivalent laser is double the price.

Warranty issues is just how strong your stomach is. Always been the rule in the second hand market. As someone who has had to send in 2 projectors in for repair, 2 AVRs break down and 2 OLED TVs need repair/return... I'm a fan of warranty lol.

DB9S

Doesn't work like that. There are many levels to set the laser at and as it dims during content, then it won't be constantly running at any level it is set at either.
The laser will likely outlast the usefulness of the device itself.

DB9S

Damn beat me to it. Should-a read on a little..... :D

DB9S

Used at 70% (100% of the time) it would last that bit longer again.

ask4me2

Because the 760es is a Sony, and uses the SXRD light engine, it might be an idea to get the projector measured for native panel contrast and see if it can be properly calibrated to check for any sign of panel degradation. Panel degradation has been a common problem for earlier 4K models from Sony, and one way to "fix" this has been to sell the projector to someone that does not know about this...o_O

abs

Because the 760es is a Sony, and uses the SXRD light engine, it might be an idea to get the projector measured for native panel contrast and see if it can be properly calibrated to check for any sign of panel degradation. Panel degradation has been a common problem for earlier 4K models from Sony, and one way to "fix" this has been to sell the projector to someone that does not know about this...o_O
Thanks I'll pass that on

DB9S

Or simply view it and see if the image is acceptable. 1500hours is barely run in. :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom